A229 Pro testing notes

As I mentioned in a post recently, anyone who does dash cam reviews professionally on an ongoing basis is self employed and is running a business and therefore required to pay taxes on your income which includes monetization along with the fair market value of all the "free" cameras, battery packs, memory cards, CPLs, hardwire kits and other merch you receive, as payment-in-kind barter exchange is considered income by the IRS. So, at the same time, the cost of gasoline for driving around to record footage of a particualr dash cam is only a fraction of the value of the "free" camera it is a legitimate business expense and therefore is deductible from your income taxes.

Of course, many, many thousands of individuals these days are engaged in doing online promotional reviews and acting as online influencers most are not paying any taxes. I mention all this because I read recently how the IRS is beginning to crack down on this phenomenon, especially now that they have become aware of the magnitude of the amount of money they are owed. They have been hiring new agents. This should be of special concern to those who post their real name and precise location with all their videos, even in one's garage with exact GPS coordinates. ;)

As for burning up gasoline driving around for the sole purpose of capturing dash cam footage, there's the question of one's carbon footprint for those who might be concerned with such matters, but that's another discussion.
While I understand your intent is to educate the readers of this site, please keep in mind that you don't know how I or any of the other "professional" dash camera reviewers handle their business dealings. My driving habits are also none of your business, but I do minimize my driving for dash camera footage gathering as much as possible. I try as much as possible to gather footage during other already scheduled trips in my car (going the grocery store of the post office). I would like to suggest keeping the discussions on this site related to use and testing of dash cameras and dash camera accessories. :)

I've probably spent over $75 USD for gasoline testing all of the different versions of the A229 Pro front firmware.
Yes!
That's exactly why I do all those silly preliminary tests in my garage, and filming illuminated road signs at night to check HDR performance before I even install them in my car.

Couple of review videos here. Yeah it's not in English but you can get the gist. Some interesting results too as he added in some EV adjustments:

Couple of review videos here. Yeah it's not in English but you can get the gist. Some interesting results too as he added in some EV adjustments:
I absolutely love these guys.
I like how they drive the same roads for the daytime / night time test footage.
It makes it really easy to compare with other camera's they've tested.
And their editing is top notch.

While I understand your intent is to educate the readers of this site, please keep in mind that you don't know how I or any of the other "professional" dash camera reviewers handle their business dealings.

I do not know, nor am I at all interested in your personal driving habits or how handle your personal business dealings, with the general exception that you happen to be engaged in the activities I was talking about that thousands of others also engage in.

I would like to suggest keeping the discussions on this site related to use and testing of dash cameras and dash camera accessories. :)

In this case, I was responding directly to @Vortex Radar's comments and "complaint" about his expenses for gasoline within in the context of his "free" dash cam reviews, so the post was not off topic. In fact, since by every indication Vortex engages in these reviews as a career I was pointing out that any fuel he uses during his reviews is a legitimate tax deduction. I don't consider it any of your business to dictate what others post, even if it makes you feel defensive and uncomfortable. In fact, your reaction here seems rather telling.

Last edited:
I absolutely love these guys.
I like how they drive the same roads for the daytime / night time test footage.
It makes it really easy to compare with other camera's they've tested.
And their editing is top notch.
They are definitely on it. Their earlier videos for the a229 pro gave me a bit of pause cos it was on earlier September firmware but they seem to have pulled a lot of new footage with the 230928 firmware that shipped out to consumers, so that's decent

Like you said their dedication is pretty good and I like how he throws up comparisons between other models too - have watched a few of the A810 vids with interest

Could we please get back on topic with the A229 Pro? While I do enjoy talking shop with fellow testers and laughing together about our shared pains that come with testing new dashcams like this using different firmwares, as well as how "free" things really aren't "free," I think that as this conversation evolves to talk about taxes and the IRS and running a business, as important as those topics are for us and much as I appreciate various tip and tricks being shared, IMO all of that discussion is really best kept in its own thread.

Ideally I was hoping to keep this thread as a central location to share and discuss my experiences about the A229 Pro as I test and learn, similar to how others are doing with their own tests, and I'd appreciate your help in keeping this thread focused on that. Thank you.

Last edited:
I made a long comment on your Youtube video, I hope you will read it.

About A229 Pro video:
- there is a little too much sky. There should be a little more road
- missing speed. Looking at speed you can estimate at what speed you can still read the car license numbers at night
- that rain was not good for the best results, they should wait maybe 1-2 days for no rain

是的!我知道你会喜欢的。哈哈

我在 A229 Pro 上没有看到这一点。
当车牌在车头灯直接照射下时,启用 HDR 后,我的 A139 Pro 在夜间抓取车牌效果会更好。
A119 Mini 2 甚至更好。
前几天晚上我开车去的,就在那时我拍下了这个;

[媒体=youtube]z_LenRUJnF4[/媒体]

看看 0:28 亮起的路标,更不用说我身后所有的车头灯了。
我本来打算上传 A229 Pro 与 A139 Pro 的一些前置摄像头比较,但我忘记在收音机上安装一块纸板,以阻挡其反射到挡风玻璃上,并且它会干扰两个摄像头。
总体而言,与 A139 Pro 相比,A229 Pro 的图像质量(夜间 HDR 性能除外)给我留下了非常深刻的印象。
一旦我们获得了修复夜间 HDR 的固件,以及罗伯特白天看到的所有其他奇怪的事情,A229 Pro 将成为我选择的 2024 年“最佳”行车记录仪(但仅限于 2 通道)后置配置)。
我无法忍受连接红外内部摄像头会使前置摄像头的比特率几乎减半(大约 57 Mbps 到 35 Mbps)。
我真的希望它只是保留 2 通道,这样我就可以保留我心爱的外部麦克风插孔。哈哈
从这个对比图片看,a229pro晚上竟然比a119mini2差这么多

In the name of science I plugged in a USB Type-C power cable into the REAR camera port on the A229 Pro & A229 Plus, and both powered up, and functioned like normal.
Thanks for bringing that up.
@Panzer Platform Thank you for confirming the A229 Pro and Plus can be powered from the REAR camera port. I wish @VIOFO-Support documentation showed this but I trust your science experiment

1.Can you confirm if the A229 Pro and Plus can be removed from their GPS mounts and powered from the REAR camera port, or does the GPS module have to remain attached while it's being powered?
2. Are the GPS modules between the A229 PRO and PLUS interchangeable? (I own both and want to know if the two cameras can be swapped between cars, but the GPS mounts are stuck to the windshields)

Last edited:
@Panzer Platform Thank you for confirming the A229 Pro and Plus can be powered from the REAR camera port. I wish @VIOFO-Support documentation showed this but I trust your science experiment

1.Can you confirm if the A229 Pro and Plus can be removed from their GPS mounts and powered from the REAR camera port, or does the GPS module have to remain attached while it's being powered?
2. Are the GPS modules between the A229 PRO and PLUS interchangeable? (I own both and want to know if the two cameras can be swapped between cars, but the GPS mounts are stuck to the windshields)

The A229Pro works without the gps mounted using the rear port.

Not sure about the gps modules.
Video of A229Pro powered by rear camera port.
Jump to 6.44

Back