A329 Improvement Wishlist

I think @vvs49 is complaining about the short gap in recording when switching.
7 sec at 60 km/h is that short gap??
How many meters will not be recorded?
In A139 there is no gap, and for 139PRO the Dex_ master made a firmware, everything switches on the fly!!

After I first installed an A119 mini 2 it freaked me out when all of a sudden the camera would say "video recording started" for apparently no reason when I was just driving along. It took me a little while to realize this event was corresponding to the time I had previously set for the HDR timer. Finally, when I reviewed some of the videos I discovered the significant gap between video clips when it switch over to HDR and I consider this to be a problem.

7 sec at 60 km/h is that short gap??
7 seconds is unacceptable, also the startup times which keep getting longer!

In A139 there is no gap,
That is how long it should take, although I am happy if it delays the switch until the start of the next video file.

And for the startup, let us have less than 1 second.

And for the startup, let us have less than 1 second.
I measured that.
A229 Pro 3-CH = 22 Second boot up time to record

I measured that.
A229 Pro 3-CH = 22 Second boot up time to record

I wonder with the latest firmware if those boot up times have been reduced hopefully :)

I understand that some folks want their dash cams to bolt to attention as soon as they power it up but does anyone's computer or smart phone boot up from a cold start instantly? Just sayin'.

I understand that some folks want their dash cams to bolt to attention as soon as they power it up but does anyone's computer or smart phone boot up from a cold start instantly? Just sayin'.
Did anyone mention a cold start!
My phone is always ready to go, instantly...

Did anyone mention a cold start!
My phone is always ready to go, instantly...

Nonsense!

When my iPhone is sleeping it will wake up instantly, however if it is actually powered off and I then power it up, it will take 10-11 seconds to boot up. It is a computer of course and needs to load the OS and various apps.

When you start your ignition in your car your dash cam is booting from a cold start. It too is a "computer". This discussion implies that and doesn't need mentioning. It is self-evident.

When my iPhone is sleeping it will wake up instantly, however if it is actually powered off and I then power it up, it will take 10-11 seconds to boot up. It is a computer of course and needs to load the OS and various apps.
Not sure it is possible to actually power an iPhone off, only to shut it down. It is still always listening for the buttons to be pressed to wake it up again. Does anyone shut their iPhone down daily?

When you start your ignition in your car your dash cam is booting from a cold start. It too is a "computer". This discussion implies that and doesn't need mentioning. It is self-evident.
When I turn on the ignition in my car, my car's computer is ready to go, the engine can have the car moving within a second. Maybe not from a cold start of the computer, but there is no facility to do a cold start other than to disconnect and reconnect the car battery, which hasn't been done in over 10 years!

As for the dashcam, when connected via 3-wire hardwire kit, again there is no facility for performing a genuine cold start, except for the reset button on the side of the dashcam, which is of course why the dashcam has a reset button, but I don't often use it.

When turning the car ignition on, there is no need for the dashcam to spend 20 seconds loading the operating system, it is perfectly possible to produce a dashcam with sub-one second startup from sleep, just like my car can be moving within a second.

Not sure it is possible to actually power an iPhone off, only to shut it down.
It's essentially the same thing,

Does anyone shut their iPhone down daily?

This is irrelevant to the discussion.

You are jumping through hoops and talking semantics about what represents a cold start for your dash cams.. Certain subsystems in your vehicle may remain powered up but not likely your ignition system, if for security and safety reasons alone. One way or another the camera takes time to boot up just like any other device that has a system based processor.

You know, there is a certain absurdity to these kind of threads that Panzer is so fond of initiating, but this one really takes the cake!

When you have a small group of entitled sounding camera enthusiasts, egged on by a guy like Panzer, who are demanding features and performance enhancements from a consumer gadget they have never seen yet and no one has even had their hands on or tested, things are pretty damned out of control. :rolleyes:

Gentlemen, what does the start of the recorder have to do with this, we are talking about the time of the HDR response!!
The recorder should not have an interruption of recording, otherwise the evidence base will suffer!!

Gentlemen, what does the start of the recorder have to do with this, we are talking about the time of the HDR response!!

Well, Panzer was posting about camera boot-up times HERE, which is partly what I was responding to.

The HDR reboot time is a slightly different matter because the camera has power, but it is related.

I can see the possibility of improving HDR and even cold start boot times to some degree, but the notion of instantaneous boot-up seems highly unlikely to me and more in the realm of fantasy.

Personally, when I start my vehicle my cameras are up and running by the time I leave my driveway and I'm fine with that even if it takes a short while. This timer HDR reboot delay while driving is a different matter altogether and that needs to be addressed.

I can see the possibility of improving HDR and even cold start boot times to some degree, but the notion of instantaneous boot-up seems highly unlikely to me and more in the realm of fantasy.
An instant change of HDR should be possible, the A139 Pro appears to already have it, effectively it is just a change of exposure on the current dashcams. Delaying the change until the next file is not a problem if necessary, and would be necessary if HDR was using HDR format video files for its HDR video, but current dashcams are not using HDR format files.

Instant start of recording is not feasible since a lot of circuitry is powered down in sleep mode, but there is no need for a 20 second delay to load the operating system. If a dashcam powered from hardwire kit wakes up because of a g-sensor impact then you want it recording within a second; if it wakes up because you turned the ignition on then it shouldn't take any longer than for the g-sensor impact.

Personally, when I start my vehicle my cameras are up and running by the time I leave my driveway and I'm fine with that even if it takes a short while.
Many cars these days have automated stop-start, mine doesn't so I do it manually, if I am sitting at red lights and they change to green then I start my engine and go, I don't wait at the green light for 20 seconds before moving, time from turning the key to moving is sub-1 second, I don't start the engine, then put it into gear, then go, I park with it in gear and ready to go, I can easily be at any speed limit within 20 seconds.

Maybe in the USA, you do not need to turn your engine off at red lights, but in other countries it is a legal requirement, including the UK.

In the UK, Rule 123 of our highway code says:
The driver and the environment. You MUST NOT leave a parked vehicle unattended with the engine running or leave a vehicle engine running unnecessarily while that vehicle is stationary on a public road.

People. What 20 seconds are we talking about? User "Panzer Platform" measured the start time during a cold start of the A229 from 0....
When connecting the DVR via НK4, the transition from parking mode to normal recording mode takes much less time.
Well, when the Start/Stop system is triggered, only the engine turns off, but the ignition remains on and the DVR does not turn off.

Although when connecting a video recorder via НK4, the transition from parking mode to normal recording mode takes much less time,
not everyone's video recorder is constantly in parking mode. Some turn off by a timer, some by a voltage drop, and some turn off forcibly.
So most users' video recorders have a cold start at the beginning of the first trip after a long period of parking.
This must be taken into account and not forgotten.

People. What 20 seconds are we talking about? User "Panzer Platform" measured the start time during a cold start of the A229 from 0....
When connecting the DVR via НK4, the transition from parking mode to normal recording mode takes much less time.
Well, when the Start/Stop system is triggered, only the engine turns off, but the ignition remains on and the DVR does not turn off.
The times we could measure are:

Cold start (from zero power to recording),
Warm start using hardwire kit (powered off due to use of power button or parking mode being disabled, or parking mode duration timed out),
Warm start using hardwire kit, woken up by g-sensor detecting an impact.
Parking start (from parking mode to normal recording),

I assume that warm start, not using a hardwire kit, will take the same time as using a hardwire kit.
The g-sensor warm start may be the same time as other warm starts, but it is more important that this is fast.

Yes, in that case the normal recording will continue, unless the camera powers down after 5 minutes due to no movement, and then you will want it to wake up again fast when the light turns green.

My car does not have Stop/Start, so I need to turn the key to "off" so that the engine stops. I normally turn it on again before the light has turned green, but not always. I may be using parking mode, so I would be interested in the parking mode transition times, but often I am not using parking mode, and sometimes I am not using a hardwire kit, in which case starting the engine turns the accessory power off temporarily, which causes the dashcam to start a 20 second boot from a cold start at the time my car starts to move, so all the above times are important.

I do wonder what are the factors in a dashcam startup time?

In my PC, the actual loading stage of windows from disk is very fast (a few seconds) but the BIOS splash screen takes perhaps longer to come up initially, it probably takes a while for all the devices to initialize and checking for boot devices. Pretty much every device in the PC has it's own mini operating system as well.

I may be using parking mode, so I would be interested in the parking mode transition times, but often I am not using parking mode, and sometimes I am not using a hardwire kit, in which case starting the engine turns the accessory power off temporarily, which causes the dashcam to start a 20 second boot from a cold start at the time my car starts to move, so all the above times are important.
You can use the 90 second delay to turn on the parking mode. I think this will help you.

You can use the 90 second delay to turn on the parking mode. I think this will help you.
Depends on how long the red light lasts, 90 seconds often arrives one second before I start the engine again!

In my normal car, the dashcam gets powered down after 3 minutes, because it is powered from the ECU circuit, which stays on for 3 minutes after using the engine, for emissions control reasons. This solves the problem in most cases, but not at railway crossings, where the red light can sometimes take 4 minutes or more.

The best solution to all these issues is to have a faster startup, especially warm startup. On impact detection, we want the dashcam to be recording within 1 second, that will solve all the issues with turning the engine off, except the cold start time when using the accessory socket power. The cold start time has been getting longer for each new generation of dashcam, if the A3?? series takes 30 seconds because it is busy for 10 seconds loading external disk drivers and looking for external disks, that will be an issue for many people, we want it faster than the current 20 seconds, not slower.

I do wonder what are the factors in a dashcam startup time?
Good question, I'm sure the boot up has a lot of unnecessary delays, and some things slowing it down could be done after recording has started. Most of this is down to the operating system though, and Viofo can't do much about that.

Many cars these days have automated stop-start, mine doesn't so I do it manually, if I am sitting at red lights and they change to green then I start my engine and go, I don't wait at the green light for 20 seconds before moving, time from turning the key to moving is sub-1 second, I don't start the engine, then put it into gear, then go, I park with it in gear and ready to go, I can easily be at any speed limit within 20 seconds.

Maybe in the USA, you do not need to turn your engine off at red lights, but in other countries it is a legal requirement, including the UK.

In the UK, Rule 123 of our highway code says:

The driver and the environment. You MUST NOT leave a parked vehicle unattended with the engine running or leave a vehicle engine running unnecessarily while that vehicle is stationary on a public road.

It just wouldn’t be you Nigel without some sort of disparaging remark or swipe at the USA combined with your usual sanctimonious attitude. As always you have your complete ignorance of the United States on full display when making these condescending comparisons to the UK. Thank God I don’t live in a rigid society like the United Kingdom where government dictates and surveils every facet of everyday human behavior.

We certainly do have laws and regulations designed to eliminate air pollution, cut down on greenhouse gases and increase fuel economy such as the Clean Air Act, CAFE standards legislation (Corporate Average Fuel Economy) and newer EPA regulations governing federal greenhouse gas emissions standards for passenger cars, light trucks and aircraft.

We also have regulations and voluntary guidelines for shutting off your engine when your vehicle would be otherwise idling such as when:

Waiting for your drive-through order.
Waiting in line at a gas station or car wash.
Dropping someone off or picking them up (e.g. at school, airport or train station).
Waiting at a railway crossing (or red traffic light in certain location dependent scenarios).
Delivery vehicles dropping off packages.
When in grid-locked urban traffic scenarios.

Some of this comes under Federal regulation and some is mandated by state law. Some is recommended action.

Depending upon where you happen to live in the United States one would have to stop and restart their vehicle dozens of times during an average trip across a city or large town and having thousands of cars turning off their ignitions at every traffic light would create havoc and it is simply not practical. As always when you compare the UK to the US you ignore the fact that we are an enormous country with a population of nearly 338,000,00 people with approximately 280,000,000 registered personal and commercial vehicles of various vintages. Imagine the 900,000 cars per day driven in New York City trying to keep traffic flowing smoothly with every car turning on and off their ignition at every traffic light. Signal timing cycle length in NYC falls between 45 and 120 seconds according to DOT regulations but usually closer to the low end of the scale. Pollution and greenhouse gas reduction goals in NYC are currently being addressed by encouraging the increased use of hybrid and electric vehicles (especially taxis and smaller delivery vehicles) and limiting daily traffic volumes.

Repeatedly stopping and starting will probably wear out your starter and use up any savings you may have gained on fuel costs in the long run. If you have a traditional car or truck you want to avoid constantly turning off and restarting your engine at every traffic light.

Cars with stop/start technology on the other hand come equipped with starters that can handle this and they have specially designed ignition systems and batteries that are also up to the task. Cars with auto start-stop will always have upgraded batteries (often marketed as 'start-stop' batteries) and a more powerful starter motor, often 'tandem solenoid' versions which cope better in the scenario where the engine has started to shut down but is still spinning, and the driver wishes to accelerate again.

Of course, if you live in a cold climate northern New England or other northern US locations in the wintertime when it’s bitter cold out you want to keep the car running so you can use your heater without turning it off in sub zero weather.

Additionally, turning your car on and off in stop-and-go traffic is not recommended because driving safely means being able to respond quickly to traffic conditions.

Back