A329. What is this?

A329 is a 5 camera triple STAVIS 2 camera with optional LTE cloud module, and the new Chronoscape interface.

Last edited:
I wonder if a 2230 form-factor SSD could be a good tiny solution for dash cams?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B0CHJXZMSG
View attachment 73841

These plug-in SSD drives work with USB-C enclosures like this.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B0CHJXZMSG
View attachment 73842

There is even one with active cooling via a built-in high speed fan.

https://sharge.com/products/sharge-disk

View attachment 73851

View attachment 73853

View attachment 73854
2230 size traditionally haven't been that many of them available for sale and were always expensive, but that seems to be changing now. We just need lower end options that aren't as fast that are on the cheaper side.

For now I wouldn't mind just tucking my usb stick under the headliner, wouldn't be that obtrusive until say a better form factor like 2230 arrived

2230 size traditionally haven't been that many of them available for sale and were always expensive, but that seems to be changing now. We just need lower end options that aren't as fast that are on the cheaper side.

For now I wouldn't mind just tucking my usb stick under the headliner, wouldn't be that obtrusive until say a better form factor like 2230 arrived

Pretty much my thinking too.

These tiny drives do seem very appealing though and I thinking they may have much potential for dash cams going forward. 1TB would be fine by me for starters.

Sign me up. To be honest it's only the size that's beneficial, not the speeds as you hit that point where increases in read/write speed don't add that much use

Yes, the size (and shape) seems to be what would make these viable for dash cam use. Speeds will reach a point of diminishing returns, as you point out.

Are we supposed to tuck the SSD in the headliner,
You can't put it above the headliner, it gets very hot up there, against the metal roof!
SSDs like to be cool.

or run another 12’ foot USB cable to the glovebox?
Maybe it uses network storage and you can put it anywhere within wifi range?

Or cloud storage...

But if there is SSD how will Viofo go about certifying which ones to use and which ones not to use?
Samsung T7 and Sandisk Extreme I expect to be accepted by Viofo.
I consider that is not necessary to use the Shield version of T7 (Samsung T7 Shield) because it costs more just because of the rubber which is supposed to be good against shocks. I expect to be no shocks where the SSDs will be installed.

Are we supposed to tuck the SSD in the headliner, or run another 12’ foot USB cable to the glovebox?

The good news is that a SSD is not going to be hot, like the card is doing so the SSD can be stored into the glove box. For me is more useful to store it at the fusebox, maybe some people will prefer it into the glove box or in another place. I expect the SSD cable to not be longer than 2.5 meters.
The problem in the glove box is that if the cable is not secured in some way into the SSD, it will go disconnect when people will access the glove box interior. This is why I consider it is more safe in the fuse box, at least in my car. Also there is a good ventilation.

Daschcam SSD installed at the fuse box.jpg

The Samsung T7 Shield external surface is not flat, it has some indentations which can be considered better for heat dissipation compared to SanDisk but like I said, because the SSDs are not running hot we should not pay more money for a thing we dont need.

Maybe the case hole from the SanDisk will win for the purchase. And the price.

Last edited:
N2X exists, units have gone out to YouTubers and some folks on here too, guessing FCC listing will go up later I suppose
A329 also exists and is in the hands of some users on this forum. But they have no right to write about it.
I think that the FCC listing will appear later.
It will melt there in the summer from the heat.

Last edited:
It will melt there in the summer from the heat.

Headliner is probably not the best place for SSD storage but I'm intrigued by the possibilities for the SHARGE 2230 form-factor SSD enclosure I linked about which has a quiet 11,000 rpm cooling fan and claims a 20º C reduction in drive temperature.

It can be connected via USB-C directly or via cable. A drive this small could be mounted anywhere via USB cable using Dual-Lock tape or Velcro. This could be a good, portable solution for remote dash cam memory storage.

sharge3.jpg

cooling.jpg

sharge2.jpg

Last edited:
Samsung T7 and Sandisk Extreme I expect to be accepted by Viofo.
I consider that is not necessary to use the Shield version of T7 (Samsung T7 Shield) because it costs more just because of the rubber which is supposed to be good against shocks. I expect to be no shocks where the SSDs will be installed.

The good news is that a SSD is not going to be hot, like the card is doing so the SSD can be stored into the glove box. For me is more useful to store it at the fusebox, maybe some people will prefer it into the glove box or in another place. I expect the SSD cable to not be longer than 2.5 meters.
The problem in the glove box is that if the cable is not secured in some way into the SSD, it will go disconnect when people will access the glove box interior. This is why I consider it is more safe in the fuse box, at least in my car. Also there is a good ventilation.

View attachment 73858

The Samsung T7 Shield external surface is not flat, it has some indentations which can be considered better for heat dissipation compared to SanDisk but like I said, because the SSDs are not running hot we should not pay more money for a thing we dont need.

Maybe the case hole from the SanDisk will win for the purchase. And the price.
I have had both T7 and T7 Shield as external storage for my playstation and yes the Shield is noticeably thicker because of the rubber, I'd say go for the T7 for a better/easier fit.

The heatsink will be doing most of the heav
lifting so as you say, compared to microSD it's going to run a lot cooler...don't anticipate there to be many problems with reliability

Headliner is probably not the best place for SSD storage but I'm intrigued buy the possibilities for the SHARGE 2230 form-factor SSD enclosure I linked about which has a quiet 11,000 rpm cooling fan and claims a 20º C reduction in drive temperature.

It can be connected via USB-C directly or via cable. A drive this small could be mounted anywhere via USB cable using Dual-Lock tape or Velcro. This could be a good, portable solution for remote dash cam memory storage.

View attachment 73860

View attachment 73861

View attachment 73862
This is a fair point, an option is an option at this point, I'd run the thumb drive SSD in the headliner in winter but would have to look into other solutions for the upcoming warmer months

This is a fair point, an option is an option at this point, I'd run the thumb drive SSD in the headliner in winter but would have to look into other solutions for the upcoming warmer months

The little SHARGE SSD enclosure says not to cover the fan vents while working for obvious reasons, but it is possible that a thumb drive SSD could also benefit from some air flow which wouldn't happen if it is sandwiched up in a headliners which would probably act like insulation. You'd need to do some testing to see how things go, even in winter.

I think if an SSD drive can tolerate a longer cable I would mount one on my center console closer to the floor for cooler temps, better airflow and perhaps even better security.

I wonder if a 2230 form-factor SSD could be a good tiny solution for dash cams?

The M.2 2230 and 2242 would be excellent for smaller dash cam devices, the M.2 2280 for 'box' style units, and even the 2.5 SSD if VIOFO had the engineering chops (I don't think they do) to incorporate the bodies of the 2.5 into the chassis as an external structure that would be removable for access to the inside of the unit. There are a lot of engineering opportunities to get a world class design, but I am more inclined to think it will come from Korea or Japan. The Germans could do it, but that would require about 70 screws for the assembly. :)

STARVIS II and customer demands for high quality images have doomed the MicroSDXC memory cards. Any shop not making a camera with STARVIS II and M.2 memory by this time next year will be a shop that is serving the bottom feeders in the market.

The little SHARGE SSD enclosure says not to cover the fan vents while working for obvious reasons, but it is possible that a thumb drive SSD could also benefit from some air flow which wouldn't happen if it is sandwiched up in a headliners which would probably act like insulation. You'd need to do some testing to see how things go, even in winter.

I think if an SSD drive can tolerate a longer cable I would mount one on my center console closer to the floor for cooler temps, better airflow and perhaps even better security.

Take a look at fiber optical from box unit to window camera. Very easy and inexpensive to implement. An electrical-light-electrical connection, cheap as chips these days. Could even, at a higher cost, use fiber as the power source. However, fiber could be incorporated into the power sheath as well.

Back