Accident caught on Mobius dash cam - Car Camera Shop

Car Camera Shop

Retailer
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We managed to capture this accident at a roundabout here in Bournemouth. There's been a lot of discussion on Facebook over who's to blame; the car driver for stopping, or the van driver for not anticipating it. What do you think?

The van driver, surely? None of us know what the car driver was thinking, what they saw or even what happened to make them stop. The van driver was following too close, too fast. Had the van been further back / going slower, they would've seen the car brake sharply.
I thought it was almost automatic blame to the person who goes into the back of you?

Looks like the car has his view obscured by the vehicle in the middle lane, & thus correctly stops rather than just drive on to roundabout. Van driver in an elevated position assumed car had clear view & would just drive on to roundabout.

I'd be very tempted to sort out the date/time issue on that model !

I'd be very tempted to sort out the date/time issue on that model !

We test a lot of car cameras and on this occasion hadn't set the time. Typically it was the time when we captured a car crash!

Most people seem to agree that fault lies with the van, but we received lots of comments about proper roundabout etiquette and how hesitation can be dangerous.

The van driver is to blame in my world, the car in front might be hesitating and so on, but the van driver still have to pay attention and keep a proper distance to the car in front.
IMO proper distance is key in traffic, it is the safty for when the car in front brake suddenly or in other ways do somthing it is not suposed to do.

I know keeping a proper distance to the car in front is a pain in the ass, at least it is for me becuz if i do that ppl behind me use the "hole" in front of my car to pass me by and therefor forceing me to let off the trottle to establish a proper distance again.

I guess thats is allso the reason you see many ppl drive way too close on Danish roads, even on multi lane freeways it is not uncommon to see cars dooing 130 km/h with 5-10 M between the cars ( witch is wayyyy too close at those speeds )

I see a lot of drivers scared by roundabouts. They are dangerous with their too much prevention. And this is because they are not good drivers.

I see a lot of drivers which don't understand the first reason of a roundabout: to slow down. They are not slowing down, but keeping constant speed or even accelerating just to not let somebody from outside to enter in the roundabout. They have an animalic instinct to not lose their priority even they are not winning anything for their life. These drivers are also bad/poor drivers.
I always slow down so all people from roundabout can see my intention.

Now about the van drivers. The vans don't have the same view angle as normal cars and the driver must to rotate much more the head and even the body to see what is coming from the right. In this time they are losing the view right in their front.

enjoy,
Mtz

The van driver, surely? None of us know what the car driver was thinking, what they saw or even what happened to make them stop. The van driver was following too close, too fast. Had the van been further back / going slower, they would've seen the car brake sharply.
I thought it was almost automatic blame to the person who goes into the back of you?

I see it like sludgeguts but the Opel Corsa driver should also get partial blame because standing still for nothing is dangerous and with that he forced an accident. In this case it might be insurance scam by the Opel Corsa.

The thing is, people can suddenly hit the brakes for all sorts of reasons, many not apparent to the outside world.
I've driven along behind people who sit on the brake pedal almost constantly. I've driven behind people who brake hard to avoid hitting a butterfly. People who firmly believe their car cannot get through a gap that they have just watched a bus drive through...
Always advisable to leave a gap.
In this instance, white van man was probably driving predictively.
He has a good view of the roundabout, it's clear for the car and him to go, that and the car in the next lane will act as a shield for the car in front - therefore everyone will carry on.
Nervous driver suddenly loses sight of the roundabout, panics & hits the brakes - just in case...
I thought it was clear to go, did I see it right, can't do my usual second (and third 7 fourth) check - oh crap, better stop to be on the safe side...

Unfortunately for the van driver he will be found at fault.

If you look the Corsa could not check to the right as a car was in the way. If every driver just assumed the car on the right can see so it must be clear to go then there would be loads more crashes, would not be very smart. I always slow to get a slight gap in between the cars to see if the junction is clear.

Many a time I have seen videos where a car in the right lane has chanced it to try and get across the roundabout in front of the car in the left. Only to leave a car swerving to avoid them.

Its happened to me on a roundabout where left lane is right turn and straight on and the right was right only. Strange "double" roundabout at South Gosforth.

Reminds me of my first accident woman in front had stopped at the junction and I stopped behind her. But when she started to pull out. I looked right and saw it was clear for me to follow, but in the time it took me to glance to the right she had stopped half out of the junction, and my car was touching her bumper at about 10MPH with her foot on the brake.

Luckily for me the car in front was already booked in for a rear bumper as her daughter had reversed it into a lamppost the day before and destroyed the boot and the inner boot. LOL lucky for me I had a strong Mk2 Caviler.

Back