action cam for hq 4k videos

Voi

Reaction score
Country
Poland
Hi. I need an action cam with:
-very very high bitrate(can be through firmware hacking)
-cheap :D
-true 4k/24fps
-viewscreen
-replaceable lenses ?
-able to remove uv filter
-video iso

Help please :).

Yeah that and the Sony action cameras are the only solution at the moment, think they both do up around 100 Mbit bitrate.

You can change lens on a Gopro or a Sony, but its a lenghty process and you have to go thru focussing every time. Gopro and other cameras use a fine thread M12 socket, so you unscrew the old lens and screw in a new one, not really somthing you can do out in the field, not least finding the focus sweet spot again.
First you will have to get the original lens off, usioally they allso have some glue on it to secure it from shifting focus.
UV filter ?? dont you mean IR filter, you can get lenses without IR cut filter too, they are proberly as expensive as the other good lenses for gopro cameras ( often same prize or more of the gopro camera itself )

O and welcome to the forum Voi

never looked at the Sony but heard it can only do 4k in bursts of about 10 minutes or so at a time or it overheats which if correct would make it very limited

Really :eek: i dident know that, but if thats the case then its pretty sad for Sony

Is there a standard name for lenses in x1000v ? How to search for them ?

Hey, cmon, 100$ lenses ?

Yeah its the same with CCTV lenses as it is for Dslr cameras, sure you can get a cheapo one that will do the job, but you can allso get a lens with the same overall specs and pay 3-4 times more.
And yes the expensive lens will be better, question is if a non pro user can see that in the output.

I have tried a fjew lenses on action cameras and dashcameras and for CCTV use, and there is no doubt you get what you pay for.
You can get a cheapo 5 element lens with lenses made of plastic, of you can get a sweet 7 element lens with lenses made of the finest glass.
The cheap 5 plastic element lens will be put together by a trained monkey with a hammer in a garage in China, the expensive glass lens will be put together by trained professionals with computer guided machines installed in a aerospace graded clean room, and working with much smaller tolerances.

For a long while it have been common practice to use cheap lenses on cheap dash-cameras to cut corners, and the end result will be a poor camera with poor performance.

As i said above the lenses is M12 fine thread( 0.5 mm pitch ), simmilar to ones used in CCTV cameras, and you can get lenses from 15 dollars and up, just dont get too high hopes for the cheap ones out there.

Just google Lens + m12 or Lens + S-mount, and look for megapixel lenses with or without IR cut filter.
For a 4K camera you offcourse want to look for lenses that can handle the 12-16 megapixel a 4K sensor is, not sure a "small" megapixel lens intended for 2 - 3 megapixel sensors will work.

Last edited:
Back