Add-a-fuse in an empty slot

apologiabiology

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm going to do parking mode on my camera so I will use a hardwire kit and an add-a-fuse kit. I have found 2 empty slots, one being an accessory port, and the other being an 'always on' port. The add-a-fuse I have has 2 slots, 1 for the original fuse and 1 for the dashcam fuse.

Can I just plug 1 fuse into the add-a-fuse? If so, do I plug the fuse into the bottom (closer to the fusebox and the prongs) or the top fuse?
What amperage is recommended for the fuse that is connecting to the dashcam? The add a fuse kit came with fuses rating the following: 3, 5, 7.5, 10, 15, 20.

When the fuse socket in the fuse box does not have a fuse in it before adding the fuse tap, you should not have a fuse in the lower fuse socket of the fuse tap. You will only have a fuse in the upper fuse socket of the fuse tap to provide power to the new device/accessory. Depending on how the fuse box is wired, adding a fuse to the bottom fuse socket of the fuse tap may backfeed power into areas of the fuse box that were not getting power before adding the fuse tap. You will need to install the fuse tap into the fuse box fuse socket so that the left leg of the fuse tap is the accessing the power side of the fuse box fuse socket.

The most power hungry dashcams that I've reviewed have consumed just under 1 amp of power at their peak. I would recommend a 3 amp fuse or a 5 amp at maximum be used in upper fuse socket of the fuse tap to provide power to the dashcam.

3 and 5 volt, got it.

In the case that I did decide to use the add-a-fuse on a slot with existing fuse, what sort of systems could be considered less essential in the case that something goes wrong with the add-a-fuse (which will unlikely happen but just in case)

3 and 5 volt, got it.
3 amp for 5 amp not volts.
In the case that I did decide to use the add-a-fuse on a slot with existing fuse, what sort of systems could be considered less essential in the case that something goes wrong with the add-a-fuse (which will unlikely happen but just in case)
I always recommend staying away from any fuse that provides power to or receives power from an ECU (computer module) in the vehicle. Computer modules like ECM/PCM, TCM, BCM. Stay away from fuses related to safety systems (ABS, SRS [air bags],Traction Control or similar).

window wipers are a good candidate then
Maybe. It depends if you consider that a safety related system. The other question is does it provide the power type needed constant power, switched (accessory) power or only when the wipers are active. If power is only present when the wipers are active, then it would not be a viable power source for the dashcam.

I have marked which ones are ACC and which ones are constant so now I just need to find a non-essential one like driver window.

It depends. If you install the add-a-fuse the right way you only need one fuse.. the one supplying your dash-cam. If you put the add-a-fuse in backwards then you will need two fuses, the "other" on supplying the second. It depends on which leg of the add-a-fuse is powered. Follow the power in the image, if the power goes up the left side you only need one fuse, if the power goes up the right side it needs a fuse to supply the second one. Determine which side of your spare is hot (~12 volts) and plug your add-a-fuse in accordingly.

Attachments

• IMG_0699.PNG
    IMG_0699.PNG
    317.4 KB · Views: 72
Back