Add Cloud Please

VIOFO cameras already have a 'Station mode' that has real time stream capability. If they just allow us to enable it automatically in parking mode (or enable it permanently) and give us an API for the sensor data, geeks like us could just get a hotspot with VPN functionality and link it to something like Home Assistant in our home networks.

While LTE/5G enabled mount or hardwire kit would be awesome I don't want VIOFO developing a full blown cloud solution because this usually leads to companies pushing the cloud more and more, selling your data and ending in security and privacy hell. And then they end support and you get shafted or forced to upgrade because for some reason base functionality gets tied to cloud (I hate cloud devices with a passion)
Even a text file on the SD card with a list of events, would probably do the job IMO.

I have my A139 in standard wifi mode, and point a Mikrotik access point at it that connects to it as a station. I feel so cool.

I have my A139 in standard wifi mode, and point a Mikrotik access point at it that connects to it as a station. I feel so cool.
So you can access the A139 over the internet, and also use the standard phone app in the car?
But the phone app won't work over the internet, only if you connect the phone wifi to the Mikrotik?

I would like to see the option of using your own cloud storage.

My ideal cloud camera would dump on my own NAS, and i say so realizing that for me that would make the camera substantial more expensive to set up, CUZ i would need to get a NAS box just for that particular job.
I do sort of like ( have not tried other ) 70mais 4G combined with the hard wire kit, so the camera are wired for internet, which i as a wifi hater like.
I assume this would also be a lower power solution VS running a wifi radio in the camera and in the 4G hot spot ?

So you can access the A139 over the internet, and also use the standard phone app in the car?
But the phone app won't work over the internet, only if you connect the phone wifi to the Mikrotik?
It works like the VIOFO is just on my home network. The phone app works. If I VPN to home on my phone when I'm out, the app works too.

Kamkar you can do that setup now, with the camera connecting to your home wifi, and there's this Blackvue downloader that downloads any videos you haven't downloaded yet to your preferred storage. I think it works on VIOFO too.

If just want to download the video to home NAS, some simple work can solve this.
One of our business customer wrote a simplel Python script to download files.

Kamkar you can do that setup now, with the camera connecting to your home wifi
I know, but i do not use wifi at home, and even if i did for the solution, then i would have to put a extender in my kitchen or bedroom window as my internet router are in the living room facing the street and i park in the back yard.
Also not really interested in saving much, at most it would be events i would be interested in getting, also the 4G giving you " instant " live access is quite nice when you are parked elsewhere, the downside is the price for the extra SIM card.

I pay 13.5 pounds / Mo for each of my two SIM cards, which are not insane for 80 GB data and all the speech and TXT i could do, big overhead CUZ i talk about 2 hours a month on the phone and use maybe 3 GB data on my phone, but there are not many smaller deals, and i am also OK with having a overhead.

It works like the VIOFO is just on my home network. The phone app works. If I VPN to home on my phone when I'm out, the app works too.
That's a nice solution, you have remote file access via the app, remote live view via the app, all you need now is for the app, when running in the background, to issue notifications when the camera locks a file, maybe @viofo can add that.

Is it possible to do the same, with the dashcam connected to phone internet sharing instead of the Mikrotik?
Obviously this would only work when a phone is in the car (an old phone, or a family member's phone), I assume it would need some VPN software installed on the dashcam?

Last edited:
If just want to download the video to home NAS, some simple work can solve this.
One of our business customer wrote a simplel Python script to download files.
That is what I do at home. I have Node-RED setup that just monitors for my A229Pro on the network and once it appears it just downloads all protected recordings that are not already on my NAS. That is why I would love to be able to enable station mode by default in parking mode (it could get disabled automatically if it can't connect for like 2 minutes to save power) so I don't have to remember to turn it on every time I get home.

It possible. I'll embrace whatever VIOFO does it they do anything. I mostly just want to know if someone dents my car while I'm away.

Back