Adhesive only stuck around edges

srvctec

Reaction score
Country
United States
I received my A119 Mini yesterday and installed the mount and will let it sit overnight before putting the camera on it. My big concern is that the 3M adhesive is only adhered around the edges. I pressed quite hard for several minutes and this is all the more it would make contact with my windshield. My A119 V3 had complete adhesion across the entire mount.

Will this even be enough to hold the camera, especially when it warms up in the coming summer months? It doesn't look very secure to me.

Attachments

• PXL_20230324_211706416.jpg
    PXL_20230324_211706416.jpg
    403.9 KB · Views: 20
Should be fine. Not getting full contact is fairly normal since the window is curved.

Should be fine. Not getting full contact is fairly normal since the window is curved.
Excellent!

I wish manufacturers would design in a slight curve since 99% of windshields are curved. :sneaky:

Don't worry, something similar happened to me when I installed the mount for my dashcam - I kept pressing it (gently) against the windshield for half a minute, then I went out of my car to have a look from outside and I noticed that the center of the mount appeared to not make "sticky" contact with the glass. At first I thought it was weird, then I realized that, while the mount is flat, the windshield is slightly curved, so it makes sense that it doesn't make continuous contact from corner to corner.
I don't think it should be a problem, it's more than enough with the edges making contact. It could even be better this way if the day comes when I have to dettach it for any reason.

Don't worry, something similar happened to me when I installed the mount for my dashcam - I kept pressing it (gently) against the windshield for half a minute, then I went out of my car to have a look from outside and I noticed that the center of the mount appeared to not make "sticky" contact with the glass. At first I thought it was weird, then I realized that, while the mount is flat, the windshield is slightly curved, so it makes sense that it doesn't make continuous contact from corner to corner.
I don't think it should be a problem, it's more than enough with the edges making contact. It could even be better this way if the day comes when I have to dettach it for any reason.
As it turns out, I have to remove and relocate it already. :(

I put it in the same spot as my A119 V3 was and thought there was plenty of clearance with the rearview mirror but there isn't since the Mini is so much thicker with the GPS. Going out now to move it to the passenger side of the mirror. At least the power is USB-C and will fit 180 degrees so I won't have to move the cable.

As it turns out, I have to remove and relocate it already. :(

I put it in the same spot as my A119 V3 was and thought there was plenty of clearance with the rearview mirror but there isn't since the Mini is so much thicker with the GPS. Going out now to move it to the passenger side of the mirror. At least the power is USB-C and will fit 180 degrees so I won't have to move the cable.
Most probably you already know this, but dental floss comes really handy to remove this kind of adhesives (using it in a "sawing" motion from side to side, taking care not to hurt your fingers).

Yeah this is not unusual.
I have tried to mitigate it installing new systems, and you also can to some degree, but the 100 % contact i have still not managed to do.

When you mount on clear glass, that make it so the mount are probably the 1 thing you notice first, but if you like me can mount on the dotted shade area in front of the mirror, that completely negate that problem of stealth.

I noticed this of course after installing my dash cam. And I thought what can I do to make it better, so I think if you stick the pad first to the glass then stick the mount to the sticky pad; that would solve it however:

- this is considering the sticky pad isn't stuck already to the mount, or that means you would need to remove it from the mount first and get another fresh sticky pad
- it would be hard to position it exactly since now you need to figure where to stick the pad without having the camera at hand and that makes for a more difficult installation, but not impossible

Another idea is if the sticky pad was slightly thicker, this would allow pressing it better to the glass.

If it bothers me enough I might do it.

Last edited:
I noticed this of course after installing my dash cam. And I thought what can I do to make it better, so I think if you stick the pad first to the glass then stick the mount to the sticky pad; that would solve it however:

- this is considering the sticky pad isn't stuck already to the mount, or that means you would need to remove it from the mount first and get another fresh sticky pad
- it would be hard to position it exactly since now you need to figure where to stick the pad without having the camera at hand and that makes for a more difficult installation, but not impossible

Another idea is if the sticky pad was slightly thicker, this would allow pressing it better to the glass.

If it bothers me enough I might do it.
But if you stick the adhesive on first and then the mount, the end result is just changing the look of the adhesive being stuck around the edge. Sure, the adhesive is stuck all over the whole surface on the glass side (under the mount) but then would only be stuck around the edges on the mount side, in effect, the exact same thing other than appearance.

I don't care what the look of the adhesive is but just want the camera to not fall off the windshield.

I think it'll be fine the way it is since the adhesive is so aggressive.

Back