Advise on which one to buy

Detectorguy

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Viofo A229
I have seen 4 accidents in 8 days! That's one every other day. Now I am wanting to know which car camera would be better. The Viofo A229 or Street guardian ? I want to get something with dual cameras and parking mode. Any advise ?

Well if you are serious about parking guard, and living in Cali even if my meager knowledge of US geography tell me Sacramento are upstate Cali, then you should consider the SG9663DR as its main unit cam be hidden out of direct sun, Viofo dont yet have such a model ( dual remote )
If you are parking out of the direct sun, then any camera will be good.
I am assuming the Sg9663DR will handle parking guard better due to no direct sunlight on main unit, but by coincedence i have not been able to test this against similar systems from other brands, last year there was a chance but then it was like summer choose to bypass little Denmark, so did not see any temperatures that would challenge systems in parking guard.

The mentioned SG camera are however only 1080p resolution, but both SG and Viofo are now making dual 1440p cameras in the SG9667DC2K and the Viofo A229 some of us are currently testing, Viofo also have their 4K system but given your location and want to do parking guard it is a hard recommend for me.

The viofo A229 are as you probably know a very new system, i have not yet been able to test mine using the parking guard features, but i think i will be able to install a hard wire kit that would allow for this some time during this weekend.

I am affiliated with SG but the same i can also say about Viofo now, both have sent me free systems to beat on,,,,, i dont do reviews on them as such.

For sure you should get a 2 channel system, it is a must in US 1 plate states ( arnt they all ? ) anyway a rear camera will get a chance on the plate on the back of a on coming car, you should only omit a rear camera if you are under severe financial restraint.

I want to get something with dual cameras and parking mode. Any advise ?
Our Blueskysea B4K, only $115 bucks on amazon! It is easy to install and set up! It is a real 8mp sensor 4K front dash camera, and it has an optional sony rear camera also, Motion/impact detection, and buffered parking mode, WiFi, GPS are nice features.

IMHO, the use of a VGA resolution cam that lasts forever is not worth considering when we need to see UHD details in case of hit and run accidents. But to each their own.

I thought I red somewhere here that 4k dash cams are not recommended for areas that get hot during the summer months as they get hot and shut down .

I've never heard of such a thing. However, the latest quality cams are less susceptible to heat buildup, with capacitors and better cases able to radiate heat and not get damaged in hot areas.

I just thought to add that it might just be a problem of cheaper brands since only the more advanced brands talk about this issue.

Last edited:
4K do run hotter, both the SOC encoding the end file but even the sensor itself also run hotter, so there have been some issues raised in regard to parking mode.
It is also true with a VGA resolution camera, you probably will not get any plate capture should you need that, but it would still record your driving in regard to lane holding, color of lights you pass thru, and your speed can be stamped on the footage, or also deducted from the video itself.
So while i would never recommend a VGA dashcam, it could still save your ass in some situations.

Heat is an important issue, but it is one which we must rely upon the manufacturer to handle. The issue has been brought up and is clearly being addressed by quality brands right now. We should not worry about using a 4k camera today because of a concern for heat. If users have personally experienced heat-caused degradation, they need to change brands.

It is normally handled in the same way in all electronic devices, including computers. There needs to be heat sink technology built into the device. It also must be able to radiate the heat out and away. Further, the case cannot be susceptible to the heat coming in windshields.

With that said, I will not change the way I protect my car even if I have a cam in park mode. Because the car is the most expensive part, I will still use sun shades. While driving, the air-conditioning system will certainly keep the cam cool enough.

Back