After spending hours looking at dash cams online, I've got a headache

argh

Reaction score
Country
United States
One of the first ones I spotted that looked very attractive was this unit: https://www.amazon.com/gp/B010H0SL9O which I couldn't find any road footage of.

A good amount of dash cams later, saw that the Street Guardian SG9665GC was recommended here and many examples of excellent footage could be found. Not the nicest looking unit, but it is not obnoxiously large like many others. The only problem is a lack of dual cams (I would like front and rear). The omission of buffered parking doesn't help, but I can let it slide.

So I guess I'm looking for something similar to a Lukas LK-7950 WD. But with a considerably smaller, discreet front camera. Recommended here, but has poor user reviews on Amazon.

In the Blackvue camp, the DR550GW-2CH is recommended here over the 650, however there are a few unresolved bugs and a report in the forums of it not being updated in favor of the 650, plus several heat related issues.

Is there another model I should look at which addresses these issues? :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
Unfortunately there are no good, reliable 2 channel fullhd + fullhd dashcams out there yet even in bulky size. They all have some major and minor bugs. I like Thinkware F750 form-factor, 2 x 1080p with SOny Exmor lens, however it has low bit-rate and lately there has been some other reports ( read reviews ). The best 2ch video quality is on Panorama X2, but it is also have some firmware bugs which need to be fixed.
The one thing is to buy two single discrete dachams. If pre-buffer is not important, then Mobius with supercaps, Joovuu X cam is coming ( wait for feedback ), or as you pointed out SG9665GC etc. If you want discrete with pre-buffer recording ,then the only one on the market right now is SGZC12RC, but first production has some reports of image getting blurry in hot weather, so you need to wait few weeks when new lens version is coming and see if you might like it.

One of the first ones I spotted that looked very attractive was this unit: https://www.amazon.com/gp/B010H0SL9O which I couldn't find any road footage of.

A good amount of dash cams later, saw that the Street Guardian SG9665GC was recommended here and many examples of excellent footage could be found. Not the nicest looking unit, but it is not obnoxiously large like many others. The only problem is a lack of dual cams (I would like front and rear). The omission of buffered parking doesn't help, but I can let it slide.

So I guess I'm looking for something similar to a Lukas LK-7950 WD. But with a considerably smaller, discreet front camera. Recommended here, but has poor user reviews on Amazon.

In the Blackvue camp, the DR550GW-2CH is recommended here over the 650, however there are a few unresolved bugs and a report in the forums of it not being updated in favor of the 650, plus several heat related issues.

Is there another model I should look at which addresses these issues? :confused:

I see at least 5 reviews for that linked mirror camera that say "I was offered a free sample..." and surprise surprise it has a 5 star review. I also looked at the history of some reviewers and they are all 5 star reviews for primarily electronics which means it's more than likely someone who gets free items for 5 star reviews.

....And at least 6 of these customers that rated 5 star also bought some bluetooth speaker and Testosterone, 5 star on these two, all of them..... Anyway, i wouldn't buy any rearview dashcam, i mean, it's going to substitute your real rearview mirror, it has a screen, not a mirror and from the photos it looks somewhat dark. That could be a problem while driving in the night. This one also has complaints of a too short charger cable.

A little off topic, but I recently installed a rear view mirror with lcd for a back up camera I installed.

It is darker, which doesn't affect day time driving, and at night I no longer have to adjust the mirror. I'd say you get equally as visable view as when you flip your mirror. Only it doesn't give you that double view.

That said, I still wouldn't buy something solely on a few reviews.

There are a HUGE number of dashcams to choose from so selection won't be easy. As far as info and reviews, this site is as good as I've found. Experienced users speak 'technical' here, not just someone amazed at seeing their first dashcam in person and thinking it's awesome because they don't know differently. No dashcam is perfect, all have limitations and issues of some sort. But with many the problems are small or rare or involve features you aren't as concerned about.

Get down to a short list by deciding what specs and features matter most to you, then look for threads on each cam's forums to see how well those work in RL and also look at threads regarding that cam's known problems. Deciding between the last 2 or 3 may not be easy but by then you aren't likely to be greatly disappointed by any of those choices. Buy only from recommended sellers and you'll be fine.

If you can find a 2ch Cam that gives you what you want it can be a good choice, but those haven't really kept up with technology or have known issues. BlackSys has one relatively cheap which is apparently OK, SG cams are quite good, and some high-end Korean 2ch cams are good too. Otherwise you should really consider 2 separate cams because for the about same amount of money you'll have a better set-up overall. I think the day of the 2ch cam is coming, but it's not quite here yet. Maybe soon but I'm not waiting.

Phil

Back