alternatives to tape for mounting?

I live in Phoenix with 120 degree temps and the adhesive has never let go. Gotten a tad weaker, but never let go.

I also have some 3M VHB tape on a light that likes to wiggle, and made it stop in my cigarette lighter, and that sits in 140+ degree interior temps - never let go either. It's strong stuff. Some of the VHB tapes can withstand 100+ Celsius temps (like 160+)

The adhesive on my GC suddenly started to let go this summer. I only realized it was happening when I noticed out of alignment footage. At first I would just press the mount back in place and it would hold for awhile but eventually the VHB tape required replacement. Since then it's been fine. Maybe there was a bad batch of tape or perhaps there was some contaminant on the glass when I attached the mount the first time.

The adhesive on my GC suddenly started to let go this summer. I only realized it was happening when I noticed out of alignment footage. At first I would just press the mount back in place and it would hold for awhile but eventually the VHB tape required replacement. Since then it's been fine. Maybe there was a bad batch of tape or perhaps there was some contaminant on the glass when I attached the mount the first time.

have you cleaned glass with supplied alcohol wipes before sticking 3M mount ?

There is also some imstruction from 3M website

About the 3M adhesive sticky mount:

1) Be sure you clean the window first.
2) When you apply the stick base to the window, hold the bracket firmly against the glass for around 2 minutes, then wait 20 minutes before you attach the camera. The tape has a 50% bond after 20 minutes, 100% bond takes 72 hours, if you put the camera on earlier than 20 minutes there's an increased chance it will fall off after a while.

have you cleaned glass with supplied alcohol wipes before sticking 3M mount ?

There is also some imstruction from 3M website

About the 3M adhesive sticky mount:

1) Be sure you clean the window first.
2) When you apply the stick base to the window, hold the bracket firmly against the glass for around 2 minutes, then wait 20 minutes before you attach the camera. The tape has a 50% bond after 20 minutes, 100% bond takes 72 hours, if you put the camera on earlier than 20 minutes there's an increased chance it will fall off after a while.

Yeah, perhaps I didn't get the glass quite as clean as I should have. Also, for a variety of reasons I've needed to remount my GC(s) several times and the old tape may have left an invisible residue that wasn't removed completely. I don't really know if that is why I had the problem but you are quite right, cleaning the glass properly before installation is important. In the case I am describing though the tape was also slightly separating from the plastic mount as well as the glass, so it seemed like there was a more complex problem going on.

I use the tape below, it is also made by 3M, I cannot remember the exact price, but it certainly wasn't $5.00AUD.
It has survived being left in 104°F ( 40°C ), albeit mine is mounted on the frit (black dots) on my windscreen. I have already transferred my SG9665GC from a 2013 Honda CRV int a 2016 Honda CRV using this tape.

scotch-4011-permanent-outdoor-mounting-tape.jpg

• Weather-resistant, UV, temperature and humidity resistant, industrial-quality double sided mounting tape
  • Holds up to 5lbs (2.2 kgs)
  • Designed for rough and uneven surfaces such as bricks
  • Recommended Surfaces: Wood, Metal, Concrete, Brick, Gyprock, Tiles, Acrylic
Note: It will come off using the string supplied in the Street Guardian kit.

I use the tape below, it is also made by 3M, I cannot remember the exact price, but it certainly wasn't $5.00AUD.
It has survived being left in 104°F ( 40°C ), albeit mine is mounted on the frit (black dots) on my windscreen. I have already transferred my SG9665GC from a 2013 Honda CRV int a 2016 Honda CRV using this tape.

scotch-4011-permanent-outdoor-mounting-tape.jpg

• Weather-resistant, UV, temperature and humidity resistant, industrial-quality double sided mounting tape
  • Holds up to 5lbs (2.2 kgs)
  • Designed for rough and uneven surfaces such as bricks
  • Recommended Surfaces: Wood, Metal, Concrete, Brick, Gyprock, Tiles, Acrylic
Note: It will come off using the string supplied in the Street Guardian kit.

The tape you've posted about is a version of the same 3M VHB tape that we've been talking about all along here; very similar to the tape that comes on the SG9665GC.

Back