Aluminum case for mobius

willy510

Reaction score
Country
United States
I already modified my Mobius by rotating the lens assembly 90 degrees but I wanted to make it more weather resistant. I wouldn't call it waterproof but all of the openings have been sealed with gasket material so I wouldn't worry about it in the rain. As for losing sound quality I may add a external mic jack but I usually don't care to much about the sound since it's usually just the sound of my engine.
I found a aluminum project case that can be made into a armor case for the Mobius, but you do have to do quite a bit of modification to all parts involved.
I drilled a lens hole and some holes for the buttons in the case. The new buttons came from an old TV remote control, they happened to be the right spacing for the camera.

I did have to cut away a slot in each side of the plastic case to make room for the ribs on the inside of the extrusion and added a dedicated power cord that I soldered on to the backside of the usb jack. I did add a small thin aluminum shim when I put it together to transfer the heat to the case from the heat sink

I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out for a quick project, Didn't add much size to the camera but a lot of protection added. I just need to add a lens protector once my lens glass shows up and make a new mount for my helmet.

Yes, let us know how it worked out on the bike. Maybe a pic of it mounted.

I like idea of spiral-cable. Good for motorbikes.

I made a quick mount for the new case from the old mount and some quick lock velcro and 3m VHB tape. I'll do the cosmetic work on it later.

I also added a piece of fiber optic cable to transmit the light from the the rear blinking red led on the camera to inside my helmet just below my line of sight so that I can tell that the camera is on and recording. It works well in all light conditions so far, even in bright sunlight. I thought about just adding another LED or just moving the one that is already there but the fiber optic seemed like a neat idea, and I really didn't want to take the camera apart again ;)
Here's a pic from inside my helmet, tiny red dot on the bottom visor opening just to the right

nice work.
whats the external dimension of the aluminium box?

Thanks, Box is 65mm long, 42.5mm wide and 23mm tall

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Motorcycle Cameras 13
Back