Am I Sad???

Ashley_E

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
K5000/P9000
My Mrs, my mates and my parents think i'm a sad case because I want to use dashcams. I think they're a brilliant idea. I work in insurance and i'm aware of scams and situations where fault can't be proved. I have also had people get out of their cars and threaten me with horrendous road rage. I have been run off the road from speeding drivers on blind bends so therefore a dashcam gives me peace of mind.

does anyone else get negative comments or criticism/p!$$ taking from their friends and/or family?

A big no

Get your dashcam
Sit back relax
And ignore your mates

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depends on how you use what it provides I guess.

If you're one of these users who immediately heads straight to youtube as soon as someone comes within 2 seconds of the back of your car, posting their reg number and emotive words such as "maniac", "moron" or, "imbecile", or feel the need to highlight whoever comes past you at more than the speed limit may allow, then yes - complete and utter sad case who really needs to get out more.

If however, you only use the footage in case of an accident, criminal event (such as a road rage attack) or simply a funny occurrence (like the ducks crossing cap in the Livue forum), and don't seek to put the world to rights over the slightest road-based misdemeanour, then probably not. No.

Pretty much the above ^^

they also shut up pretty fast when they get into an accident, and realise that things would have been easier with the dashcam footage

a bit of a "i told you so" moment if you will

once you go dash you never go back.

i got 7 accidents motorcycle never did any proof so aways was poo on my me.

but not longer if something happens again will be Recorded.

was i aways walk on line, i know if something happens will not be crap done by me.

Mr-H said:
Depends on how you use what it provides I guess.

If you're one of these users who immediately heads straight to youtube as soon as someone comes within 2 seconds of the back of your car, posting their reg number and emotive words such as "maniac", "moron" or, "imbecile", or feel the need to highlight whoever comes past you at more than the speed limit may allow, then yes - complete and utter sad case who really needs to get out more.

but wouldn't that involve yet more dash cam footage? lol :lol:

No way. You work in insurance, so you know how bad it can be. It also sounds like you've had a number of bad experiences on the road. I have a feeling that just telling a would be road rage instigator that you have a dash cam could end the situation before it got violent. It never hurts to have a little bit of evidence in your favor. I say go for it!

Mr-H said:

Represent! Call me sad any day!

Last edited by a moderator:
ouch... that "whoa" came out of nowhere if I was driving at that point... poo. that's all i'm saying lol.

and yes, I've had my camera a week and posted a couple of video's to youtube. nothing major, but got this one today on the way home from work...

just to clarify, I passed my test nearly 2 years ago, and I always maintain a safe driving distance. if I have to break to maintain a safe distance, then someone has "forced" me to brake...

...although this is nothing compared to yours :lol:

TheStig said:
No way. You work in insurance, so you know how bad it can be. It also sounds like you've had a number of bad experiences on the road. I have a feeling that just telling a would be road rage instigator that you have a dash cam could end the situation before it got violent. It never hurts to have a little bit of evidence in your favor. I say go for it!

I absolutely agree. it was the sole reason for getting one in the first place. I would also be worried that if a road rage incident occurred that the road rage may attempt to break into my car and steal the cam so wouldn't prompt broadcasting it...

Ashley_E said:
TheStig said:

I absolutely agree. it was the sole reason for getting one in the first place. I would also be worried that if a road rage incident occurred that the road rage may attempt to break into my car and steal the cam so wouldn't prompt broadcasting it...

Yeah, you'd have to feel out the situation. In a lot of situations it would probably be best to keep it a secret. I'm going to do my best to black out my camera with gaffers tape. I'd like to have it as subtle as possible.

Ashley_E said:
just to clarify, I passed my test nearly 2 years ago, and I always maintain a safe driving distance. if I have to break to maintain a safe distance, then someone has "forced" me to brake...
Shouldn't you be on the left lane though?

You might not agree but I thought the Punto's driving was acceptable, certainly seen far worse every day

Feitelijk said:
Ashley_E said:
Shouldn't you be on the left lane though?

I had j6st overtaken a slow moving vehicle, and there was heavy traffic coming up behind. Needed the right hand lane to turn right at the roundabout and never want a last minute lane change.

Northernlanes said:
You might not agree but I thought the Punto's driving was acceptable, certainly seen far worse every day

Completely agree that there is far worse. I have said in m0y commentsvthat this video was morevof an experiment with vid editing software than anything else. But she did jump the red light. And could have moved out sooner.

Ashley_E said:
I had just overtaken a slow moving vehicle, and there was heavy traffic coming up behind. Needed the right hand lane to turn right at the roundabout and never want a last minute lane change.

You're blocking the traffic behind you for 35 seconds and then there's another 530 yards till the roundabout? That's not a last minute change, that's rookie driving. And then you're "complaining" about another driver pulling out to the left?
Sounds a bit hypocrite to me, no offence.

Ashley_E said:
does anyone else get negative comments or criticism/p!$$ taking from their friends and/or family?

No, I do not. My parents want to have one. A collegue is looking for a dashcam and even my wife is convinced of its benefit. Especially after this accident:
The Peugeot driver told the police that I stopped and that she looked over her shoulder. For that moment I did not know that, but the video proves else: I did not stop but continued driving slowly in the traffic queue and accelerated as soon as it started moving again. And she did not look over her shoulder.

At the spot we both got a verbal warning which will probably result in a fine for both of us, EUR 35 for me (because of "swiping a vehicle"!). I did not tell about the video at the spot, but showed it to the police when I was invited to provide a statement at the police station.The police officer told me that he was not able to withdraw the warning, but the video will be sent to the city's fine payment office together with his warning. They might decide not to impose a fine.

Apart from the fine, the video will probably be very useful to prove to the insurance companies that she is causing the accident because of her lack of attention. And that she is lying if she maintains her first statement.

Ashley_E said:
ouch... that "whoa" came out of nowhere if I was driving at that point... poo. that's all i'm saying lol.

and yes, I've had my camera a week and posted a couple of video's to youtube. nothing major, but got this one today on the way home from work...

...although this is nothing compared to yours :lol:

Actually i think Fiat Punto lady does not violate 100%, but only partially. I think it was partially your fault as well. I got my full license 18 years ago, have driven cars all around the world in many countries with left and right hand steering wheel and if my memory is good, than there is a rule everywhere: you can use second lane ( third, forth ... etc ) only if first lane ( or next to that lane ) is full or if first lane moving slower than maximum allowed speed, then you allowed to use next lane to take over and again came back to first lane after taking over.
In your case you were using second lane constantly for long time driving despite first lane was free for long way before you reached Fiat punto.
Of course in real world many people ( "maybe" me as well ) taking fastest lane despite other lanes are free or will be packed long way up front, so from practical side it's "ok?" to do, but from driving rules its violation.
Hope you know what I am trying to say.

And this is a perfect example of why you don't do the sad thing of posting every bit of footage you record. (And why I said it was a sad thing to do in the first instance.)

Ultimately, people these days are getting too worked up about other people's driving and not caring a jot about their own. It's a smug self-importance that will eventually come back to bite them in the backside.

This is why I won't post footage of other people's mistakes that are caught on my cam, unless it results in an accident involving myself or others.

The saying in the Bible - "let he who is without sin cast the first stone" applies here. If you post other people's supposed 'bad' driving, then your driving itself must be absolutely impeccable and beyond reproach. For what it's worth, I'd say that the OP was hogging the right hand lane in that video and as such should have moved over to the left. The driver of the Punto equally could have assumed that as there was no following traffic (in her lane) that she was clear to go. A case of 50/50, with no definite causation factor, had a coming together ensued.

Interesting to note that in almost all of these videos, when picked up on why the camera car driver hadn't moved over, the justification was "I had just overtaken some slower moving traffic" which is almost always coupled with "plus there was heavy traffic behind me". In that case, I don't suppose there'd be any problem seeing a longer video that proves both of these points?

I used to drive 70k/year on the UK motorway network (ironically using that road and junction a lot as I used to visit Derby regularly), and the amount of people who overtook a slower moving vehicle and failed to move to the left simply because there was another car in the left lane at a distance of at least 1/4 to 1/2 a mile away was staggering.

Mr-H said:
and the amount of people who overtook a slower moving vehicle and failed to move to the left simply because there was another car in the left lane at a distance of at least 1/4 to 1/2 a mile away was staggering.

I have given up. I just undertake. Sometimes they even wake up and move over.

Back