An issue where inappropriate video is recorded due to HDR and recorded frame processing.

Yudia

Reaction score
Country
Japan
Dash Cam
mini0805 mini0906 A129DUO K2D
An issue where inappropriate video is recorded due to HDR and recorded frame processing.

- Edge enhancement due to incorrect HDR in front and rear camera processing.
- Abnormal afterimage of progressive images under clear skies.

A810 example
Screenshot_2023-09-07-16-44-53-171_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpgScreenshot_2023-09-07-16-45-09-608_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpgScreenshot_2023-09-07-16-43-21-550_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpgScreenshot_2023-09-07-16-43-32-958_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpg
Edge enhancement between frames due to incorrect HDR processing.
Cloud outline enhancement due to incorrect HDR.
Cloud outline enhancement due to incorrect HDR.

I exchanged from A500S to A810.
Regarding video, the image quality is inferior to that of the A500S due to incorrect video processing. It mainly occurs on sunny days.
Also, in this cloud example, the texture is reminiscent of sub-$50 dash cams from 10 years ago.

I contacted support, but there was no response, and the disadvantages of this problem are large.

The rear camera does the WDR processing itself, it's a 2016 AHD chip Fullhan FH8550M, imaging sensor from 2000, Smartsens SC200AI, nothing too fancy
You can use any other AHD 1080p25 camera

For the front camera, I'm not sure if the Starvis DOL (Clear?) HDR is done on the SoC/ISP or in software, if it's hardware it would be impossible to fix.

I think you have this issue because you have both cameras connected.
Does this happens only without the rear camera connected ?

I think you have this issue because you have both cameras connected.
Does this happens only without the rear camera connected ?
Does that indicate that the interpolated 5fps may be causing the high contrast image to break?
I guess I'll have to check without the rear camera.

To prevent flicker from LED traffic lights, I choose settings according to 55Hz.
It seems necessary to verify this as well, including 60Hz and 50Hz and the presence or absence of a rear camera.

Recently, 70mai seems to be using consumers who purchased Dashcam as test subjects to give feedback.
It is difficult to understand why they did not verify these during development, as they have a track record of releasing many Dashcams.

When rear cam is connected, fps drops to 25 from 30fps, maybe try setting anti flicker to 50hz and see if it helps

Does that indicate that the interpolated 5fps may be causing the high contrast image to break?
I guess I'll have to check without the rear camera.

To prevent flicker from LED traffic lights, I choose settings according to 55Hz.
It seems necessary to verify this as well, including 60Hz and 50Hz and the presence or absence of a rear camera.

Recently, 70mai seems to be using consumers who purchased Dashcam as test subjects to give feedback.
It is difficult to understand why they did not verify these during development, as they have a track record of releasing many Dashcams.
Seems like it, Viofo and Vantrue for now are at least open to feedback and working on the products to make them better. Shame really as it does seem to offer great specs for the price.

70mai seems to be very active on their Facebook group, I have been with touch with them over there

I tested the A810's flicker settings at 50Hz and 60Hz.
Last time, the problem occurred at 55Hz, but unfortunately the problem with the texture of the license plate was also reproduced at 50Hz and 60Hz.
All of the tests we have tested so far have connected the rear camera.

Video with flicker setting of 50Hz
(I cannot upload videos from Android, so I attach them using Google Drive.)

However, on cloudy or rainy days, the texture of the license plate of an oncoming vehicle does not appear to be distorted.
Symptoms only occur on consistently sunny days and only with high-contrast objects, such as license plate text.

It is also necessary to verify without connecting the rear camera, but I also felt it necessary to verify with the HDR function turned off.

However, if the symptoms are caused by the HDR function, then my intention in upgrading from the A500S to the A810 would be lost, since 4K HDR recording is a concept feature of the A810.

You can use any other AHD 1080p25 camera
Are there any recommendations for a good backup camera that has to be mounted outside?

Edit: Size is of no concern. I even looked at those old big boxy cameras but they're all 720p

I'm seeing some IMX307 AHD cameras which are $50-$60

Edit: If anyone knows the pinout for the backup camera cable that could be very handy

Last edited:
The AliExpress GreenYi Sony AHD "IMX307" is actually a GC2093+FH8550, it works pretty good, has WDR but gets a bit soft in low light, very wide angles, same pinout as the 70mai, 5V also.

I ordered the 70mai RC05, real IMX307+FH8550, not sure if WDR is enabled but the lens angle is narrower, not fisheye.
Should receive this week, maybe I'll swap the lens or have 2 separate cameras, the GreenYi as backup and the RC05 for the dashcam

I think I posted the pinout in another thread but here goes

Attachments

• 20230825_150502.jpg
    20230825_150502.jpg
    290.8 KB · Views: 8
Never heard of "GreenYi" but I have seen these two:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B0B9BD3GH3 I'm more strongly considering the latter one. It would mount easily where my old one is.

Never heard of "GreenYi" but I have seen these two:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B0B9BD3GH3 I'm more strongly considering the latter one. It would mount easily where my old one is.
That one is nice, you could even swap or ask seller if he has a f1.0 lens for the ultimate low light performance.

Do you plan on having it functional in parking mode? With some luck the module will work fine at 5V but you may have to boost it to 5.5-6V

I didn't trace the pinout of that 8 pins miniUSB like connector.

Here's a close up shot when I had the dashcam apart, in case it can help (why do you need that end?)

Attachments

• 20230912_142350.jpg
    20230912_142350.jpg
    746.2 KB · Views: 6
That one is nice,
Which one? I linked to two products.
Do you plan on having it functional in parking mode? With some luck the module will work fine at 5V but you may have to boost it to 5.5-6V
Does the A810 monitor both cameras in parking mode?
I didn't trace the pinout of that 8 pins miniUSB like connector.

Here's a close up shot when I had the dashcam apart, in case it can help (why do you need that end?)
They don't sell the cable separately, is the problem. I was kinda hoping I could bodge one, but it sounds like it isn't even a repurposed USB connector.

Monitor no but it records from both when triggered (shock sensor or motion/AI from the front) or during timelapse.

Yeah I think it's the same connector used in some digital cameras (eg Panasonic)

Edit: 2nd one, first one looks like one of GreenYi's, check their store.on AliExpress, its about 30usd

Monitor no but it records from both when triggered (shock sensor or motion/AI from the front) or during timelapse.
Ah, that's unfortunate. Hrm. I wonder if any of them monitor both cameras or if I'd need a separate cheaper unit. It's a bigger deal for me since I can't see out the back!

The 2nd camera claims low power 12v. I'm guessing the AHD signal is a positive signal to ground, so I'd just need the ground and signal pin if I wanted to go that route, powering the camera from another source.

Do you have a good photo of the connector jack? I might recognize it.

Or is the standard RC12 camera also 12v? No specs anywhere :mad:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Drbwell A810 27
Back