'Anti-counterflow' activist dash cam video The Philippines

dash riposki

Reaction score
Country
Thailand
Dash Cam
too many
I just noticed a series of these videos where people with cams do not allow oncoming traffic to use the 'wrong' lane to get around slow traffic. (Slowing down ALL patient/honest people)

Haha WTF wrong with those people :rolleyes: so heavy traffic and poor road planing make it legal to make up your own traffic code.

I can totally respect people fighting against that, just like the guys in Russia putting stickers on peoples windscreens.

You kind of have to get a laugh out of the attitude 'who the hell do you think YOU are, blocking ME?' (while I'm driving on the wrong side of the road)

I'd be more prone to do that in a very large vehicle, with doors that locked well. I'd make sure I had a newspaper with me to unfold and start reading.

If my car had aircon, i would be going around that block every day during the 2-3 hour rush hour.
Just cuz as a early retired person i have nothing to do but fight the free fight for the strait up guy Vs the dumb asses out there.

And if anyone come up with a attitude i will just reenact the Russian roulette scene from the deer hunter movie, or just yell MAU ! all the time.

While I respect the attitude of not making it easy for those who want to do the wrong thing (and which I also sometimes do myself) my first goal is my own safety in traffic ;) With my huge van I'd come out the winner but I don't go around looking to get into any 'pissing contests'; life brings me enough problems on it's own without me making any more of them for myself. I'll do what's best for me which varies with the situation of the moment :rolleyes:

And it's not "counterflow" which is probably a term some idiot dreamed up to make their wrongful actions seem more acceptable :mad: It's called "driving on the wrong side of the road" which is illegal everywhere for very sane reasons which makes anyone doing it an obvious idiot. Don't tacitly support their idiocy by using their terms- call it what it is and screw what they think :cool:

Phil

Whatever you call it, it slows down people who are following the rules. It's like going to a busy supermarket and everyone cuts in front of you in line to the effect you are not making progress. :)

We do have a term for that here in the US, which is contraflow. That may be what they were trying to say, but probably one guy misused it and it grew from there.

rita-contraflow-evac-sign.jpg

KuoH

And it's not "counterflow" which is probably a term some idiot dreamed up to make their wrongful actions seem more acceptable :mad: It's called "driving on the wrong side of the road" which is illegal everywhere for very sane reasons which makes anyone doing it an obvious idiot. Don't tacitly support their idiocy by using their terms- call it what it is and screw what they think :cool:

yeah contraflow is LEGAL. typically it's used only in emergency situations as shown above, like hurricane evacuation, and in those cases there will be plenty of signs, cones/barrels, and probably also police presence. more commonly "contraflow" is used for HOV lanes. on US 290 in houston, there's a barrier lane in between the inbound and outbound lanes that only has like 3 entrances/exits over the course of about 20 miles. in the mornings, it's inbound only. in the afternoons, they switch it to outbound.

"counterflow" is at least sort of semantically correct - driving COUNTER to the normal FLOW of traffic. which i guess can be loosely translated to "wrong way".

CONTRA is sort of similar to COUNTER when used as a prefix, but normal usage means that it's something that gets changed, not something that's just different.

no, i'm not an english major. far from it. i barely scraped by in high school english classes, and even though i know of the term "split infinitive" i couldn't define it for you. i AM a nerd though, and i do like playing scrabble. :)

and speaking of being a nerd, this is the first thing i think of when i hear the word CONTRA :D

img

While I respect the attitude of not making it easy for those who want to do the wrong thing (and which I also sometimes do myself) my first goal is my own safety in traffic ;) With my huge van I'd come out the winner but I don't go around looking to get into any 'pissing contests'; life brings me enough problems on it's own without me making any more of them for myself. I'll do what's best for me which varies with the situation of the moment :rolleyes:

Phil
Counterflow is the term used by the Manila government and police. There are quite a few stories about it in newspapers and on TV.:)

I would call it salmon driving as they too go against the flow :D

But it should be Pacific salmon, cuz when they are done going against the flow, they at least have the common decency to keel over and die :p

Back