Anti-Fog for windscreen?

Pointy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It's obviously important to keep the windscreen clean and clear when using a dashcam, so I wondered if these anti-fog products actually work. In the typical UK damp weather, my screen fogs up really quick and wondered if anything will help.

Does anyone use it, is it effective and do you have any product recommendations?

TIA

In my experience they don't work well at all and to the extent that they do they don't last that long. The RainX product I tried years ago would ameliorate some fogging at the expense of causing little rivelets of water to run down the windscreen. My advice is to rely on your defroster.

You could try some big bags (500g) of Silica Gel (Ebay or Amazon) to absorb moisture?

You could try some big bags (500g) of Silica Gel (Ebay or Amazon) to absorb moisture?

This first struck me as a joke and gave me a bit of a chuckle but on further thought it actually might be worth a try. I use these 300g moisture absorbers in my home that I purchase at a local "dollar" store and they work quite well. Left in a vehicle overnight they might actually help eliminate morning window fogging. At that price it's certainly worth a try and if it works these things last for months.

absorber.png

When they have been in a while you can microwave them to get then back to "as new" and simply reuse...

When they have been in a while you can microwave them to get then back to "as new" and simply reuse...

Yes, the Silica Gel you mentioned can be heated slowly in an oven or microwaved for repeated use. I have a big mesh bag of it in my cellar hanging on a hook. (I live in a 242 year old house with an old stone foundation, hence need.)

The product I posted about above is a bit different as it is made with calcium dihydrate which has a high affinity for water. The product absorbs moisture from the air and when it gets saturated it drains down into the empty compartment at the bottom of the container seen in the photo. After a few months the calcium dihydrate begins to break down and the bottom of the container will be about half full of water. At that point the whole thing will be a bit funky and it will be time to dispose of it and purchase a new one, which at only one USD is a pretty good deal. All in all it's quite a bit cheaper than silica gel and can function for much longer without needing any attention but unlike silica gel needs eventual replacement. Either this product or silica gel might be worth a try if you've got a chronic car window fogging problem.

The product I posted about above is a bit different as it is made with calcium dihydrate which has a high affinity for water. The product absorbs moisture from the air and when it gets saturated it drains down into the empty compartment at the bottom of the container seen in the photo. After a few months the calcium dihydrate begins to break down and the bottom of the container will be about half full of water. At that point the whole thing will be a bit funky and it will be time to dispose of it and purchase a new one, which at only one USD is a pretty good deal.

Keeping these under the front passenger seat, the lower chamber of two consecutive units filled up with water in under a month. Leaves an unpleasant musky smell, stopped using them.

I use silica gel cat litter tied off in two old black socks .

Descrete against a dark interior / dash or carpet.

Rejuvenate in microwave the moisture comes out .

Glass wise there's a few household products that out performs anti fog .

Shaving foam , washing up liquid , etc .

Using your air conditioner circulating outside air will help as well.

That's genius , all these devices on vehicles , lane assist , collision avoidance etc and they haven't solved the issue of a p 1 double five.

Patent...

[
Keeping these under the front passenger seat, the lower chamber of two consecutive units filled up with water in under a month. Leaves an unpleasant musky smell, stopped using them.

Yeah, I mentioned that these moisture absorbers can get funky and I imagine that in your climate that could happen pretty quickly. Here in northern New England you can get a few months out of them depending on where you place them. They'd probably last longer in the UK as well compared to the conditions in Delhi.

Back