Any dash cams with true 4k front AND true 4k rear?

DonnyD

Reaction score
Country
United States
The title says it all. Looking for a dual channel dash cam with true 4k front and rear. Price is no object (until I see how high it is).

People like you including myself have been asking this question since October 2019, (A129 Pro 4K).
The answer has always been to run two separate A129 Pro’s in 1-CH configuration front & rear. Lol
Current good options would be;
Two separate A139 Pro 1-CH.
Two separate A229 Pro 1-CH.
However, with the A229 Pro I would get the 2-CH REAR, and use the “rear” cameras as side cameras since the REAR cameras have their own processor so the Front camera can maintain it’s 57 Mbps Bitrate.
The A139 pro can’t do this, (adding a second channel drops the Bitrate from 57 Mbps to 45 Mbps.)

Of course having to deal with two separate power supplies, two SD Cards can be a pain in the rear, but you will get system redundancy, and double the recording time.
Keep in mind the A229 Pro mounted on the rear window has voice commands, and they’re especially useful for turning on the Wi-Fi for changing settings / downloading clips with the APP, and you don’t need the Bluetooth lock button to lock clips.
You can just bark; “LOCK VIDEO”.

If running two separate dash cams front & rear is to too much work, maybe Viofo will have a 4K + 4K 2-CH dash cam in a few years.
However, like all their other 2-CH dash cams the rear camera ALWAYS has reduced image quality compared to the front, (lower bitrate, different processor, etc.).

Imagine a dashcam on fire... lol.

It could be done, but it means more processing, more heat, and more demand on the memory card, especially if you wanna shoot at a high bitrate to maintain quality. I use a separate "front" cam on my rear window to get 4K back behind too, but I'm not sure how much demand there is right now to get the extra resolution behind you, especially given the extra demands on the dashcam and the added costs it would bring. I'd expect to see it eventually as tech gets better and costs come down though. If you have the extra horsepower, why not?

Since we're on the topic, what makes you seek out a 4K/4K dashcam setup?

I'm not sure how much demand there is right now
I would happily sacrifice the WM1, VS1, A229 Duo, T130, and the entire A129 series if we could have a 4K + 4K A229 Pro 2-CH.
I want my MTV. lol

what makes you seek out a 4K/4K dashcam setup?
Because reasons.
As the kids would say. lol

I would happily sacrifice the WM1, VS1, A229 Duo, T130, and the entire A129 series if we could have a 4K + 4K A229 Pro 2-CH.
I want my MTV. lol

Because reasons.
As the kids would say. lol
Cos harder, faster, stronger :O

Back in 2017 I rigged up some action cameras and thought to myself wow 4k looks amazing, but I thought it was going to be a long time before this is going to make its way to dash cams. It eventually did.... so only a matter of time before a true 4k front and 4k rear 2-Ch solution arrives.

With the heatsinks thrown into the newer dashcams I can see them handling the increased workloads.

OK, is there one currently available that has 4k front and 2k rear?

OK, is there one currently available that has 4k front and 2k rear?
That would be the Viofo A229 Pro in 2-CH configuration.

The price is kind of steep, but I have read that people that go cheap, end up wishing they had gotten a better unit.

In spite of the price, I think I would like to buy the A229 Pro 2Ch. I have two cars and would like to move the A229 between the two. I don't need a rear camera in the second car. So, I assume I would need 2 of the GPS mounts. I don't think the A229 Pro comes with one. I would also need two of the hardwire kits with fuse taps.
Does this sound correct?

As far as installation, Best Buy will install front and rear for $100. So, I may just add that to the total for this project.

You can not have that,,,, yet.
The technology are simply not there, or rather it is but then the price will be outside the realm of mere mortal people.
Or even worse the resulting footage would be sub par as you will be right on the ragged edge with the processor in the system, and the 2 channels would probably run a less than desirable bitrate.
Also 2 beefy 4K streams, that will generate record large files, meaning you will need at the very least a 256GB memory card, or maybe even another form of storage as a little memory card might struggle keeping up with the write speed.

The A229 PRO are for sure a high end system, deploying much of the latest stuff.

Whatever camera you buy, please test it in your house before it's installed in your car.
After Best Buy installs the hardwire kit, make a request they show you where the Red / Yellow wires are connected to the fuse box, and take a photo.
Make a note in your car's owners manual fuse box diagram of which fuse the Red / Yellow wires are connected to.
This will aid in future malfunction diagnosis.

I run 2x A119 Mini 2. 2K is all you really need, imo.
I also prefer the 2K (1440P) 60FPS over 4K 30fps.
The footage is much smoother and more frames makes is much lest "Ghosty" looking and really helps when u need to slow down the footage, go frame by frame to see every detail and finite move.
Also, consider, 4K video files are much much larger, and require higher end, more modern hardware to play back.
The cop/court room computer you need to send footage to when something happens, they be lucky to even have a 720p screen to watch it on, let alone be able to play 4K video (unless they have 3rd party player installed like VLC, which is often not allowed on Government IT systems.)

Why pay a place like Best Buy to install?? They do car audio, not dash cams.
Second, it often just teens who work there that know get little training and have no real experience.
You would be better off doing things your self.
For these basic dashcams, it litteraly is just stick it to the Windshield, and plug it in to the usb power adapter, that goes in your cig lighter port. Done.
It is not hard to just run a cable to the back if u have a 2ch system, and find places to tuck it under, like trim, Viofo cams even come with a trim pry tool.

The hardwire style kits, that is where it gets more advanced, but I would not recommend that to a beginner and for sure not until you at least test out your chosen dash cam model for a while first, before comiting to a more permanent and invasive installation. I have run my dash cams vis the cig port since 2016. But i do not care about it running all the time, Parking Mode, and it using the car battery when car is off.

Back