Any dual remote dashcams available yet?

kindai

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As title, car is going in for a massive service soon and will be an idea time to run wires.

Budget no issue. Needs to be fantastic quality both front and back.

The koonlung-k1s seems to be a good effort, but id want something better given the list of drawbacks.

How about the Blackvue DR650S-2ch? If you have a WiFi hotspot in your car then you can connect to the camera via the App on your phone. When you buy a Blackvue camera you get a free account which allows you:
  • 10 minutes daily live view
  • 5GB of cloud storage
  • 100 monthly downloads or previews from the cloud or the dashcam's memory card

How about the Blackvue DR650S-2ch? If you have a WiFi hotspot in your car then you can connect to the camera via the App on your phone. When you buy a Blackvue camera you get a free account which allows you:
  • 10 minutes daily live view
  • 5GB of cloud storage
  • 100 monthly downloads or previews from the cloud or the dashcam's memory card

rear 720p does not fall under fantastic quality

rear 720p does not fall under fantastic quality
It's too bad BlackVue only uses A 720p rear camera. Is it an issue with running two full HD cameras it would use too much processing power and expensive produce?

It's too bad BlackVue only uses A 720p rear camera. Is it an issue with running two full HD cameras it would use too much processing power and expensive produce?
The issue is most likely not with the cost of a higher resolution sensor but the ability of the processor to encode 2 streams at 1080p30 with sufficiently high bit rate.
Those sensors cost ~$2-4 in quantity, sensor only, no lens or PCB.

It is the hardware that is holding back dual channel cameras in general.

And i think also some manufactures want to bring on new sensors, at least to one of the 2 channels.

My cheap ass NVR can handle four 1080/30 cameras with a total bitrate of 54 mbits, but i assume you cant use chip sets that's geared towards CCTV in your dashcam.
But is a more modern chip set could handle like +80 mbits in total and you could get nice little POE remote cameras, i would have to think hard about it, cuz all i really need is the good footage.

The Raytis Enforcer DX1 seems like a solid first effort, I asked them to get me a video in action on Facebook and they obliged.

Does anyone have further comments on this unit? Maybe im expecting too much but there seems to be some issues with the compression as the plates need to be very close to be readable even on 1080?

Maybe im expecting too much but there seems to be some issues with the compression as the plates need to be very close to be readable even on 1080?

A7 in dual channel mode limits the birate that can be used so as the action increases it will be harder to get detail, the OV2710 sensor is ok during the day, reasonable at night but not outstanding, those things aside YouTube is not the best for judging results as they re-encode the video and compress it even further, better to look at raw files off the camera

Back