Any experience with the new Static Sticker?

Chas0039

Reaction score
Country
United States
I just opened my new A119 V3 and I'm wondering about the new static pad. I'm concerned that it might not be as secure when I remove and reattach the camera and then I'm going to have all the 3M adhesive on the pad and not on the GPS mount where I want it. BlackboxMyCar was very helpful and said the pad was primarily to help with removal in keeping adhesive off the glass.

Anyone had any experience? Thanks.

I'm going to have all the 3M adhesive on the pad and not on the GPS mount where I want it
I don't understand this bit? The static sticker goes on the glass, then you mount the GPS mount normally.

The static sticker has plenty of strength as long as you put the camera mount in the middle, not at the edge. It will hold many Kg.

The advantage is that if you want to remove the mount then it is easy to remove the sticker with the mount by peeling the sticker from a corner. Getting the 3M off glass is far more of a struggle.

The only disadvantage is that the sticker is somewhat visible, if you want to be perfect then that may be an issue, but not for most people, and I think it tends to improve things a little by hiding the almost inevitable air bubble under the 3M.

Thanks. I just looked at the static sticker and i couldn't see how it could have the same strength as the 3M adhesive.

Thanks. I just looked at the static sticker and i couldn't see how it could have the same strength as the 3M adhesive.
It holds the weight in the same way as a suction cup, so should be able to hold 1atm, or 14lb per square inch, and the mount is approximately 1 square inch.

For sure i will try the static sticker next time my center area fill up with cameras and i have to mount even further to the side off the 1 foot wide dotted area.

Even if getting glue off the clean glass are not a major PITA

The only thing to be weary off i assume is if the sticker is so large you get some of it in frame if you mount dead center on it, but like explained you should of course try to do that as much as you can.
And as with the sticky pads, you probably also have to clean your windscreen good before you apply it.

And as with the sticky pads, you probably also have to clean your windscreen good before you apply it.
It is a good idea, but since it is held on mainly by suction, a bit of grease is not really a problem!

Can you cut the static sticker down in size closer to the mounting pad size?

Can you cut the static sticker down in size closer to the mounting pad size?
Yes, ideally it should be a little larger than the mounting pad, maybe 1cm border all around, but I've been using one almost identical in size and that worked OK as a temporary mount. There is no real advantage to more than 1cm border, so I'm not sure why it is supplied the size that it is!

Yes, ideally it should be a little larger than the mounting pad, maybe 1cm border all around, but I've been using one almost identical in size and that worked OK as a temporary mount. There is no real advantage to more than 1cm border, so I'm not sure why it is supplied the size that it is!
thanks Nigel, I’ll cut it to your recommendation.

I somehow thought the static sticker was just for temporary use to help with placement of a dashcam like to try different spots before deciding on a permanent location. But sounds like it can be used for everyday normal use, which I didn't realize.

But how does this static sticker hold up over time in hot/cold weather and changing temperatures? Also, can it be used without issue over the black dots (frits) around the mount of the rearview mirror that help shade the sun?

They work best on a totally smooth surface, if the frit is raised that's not ideal, we used to include static stickers with our cameras about 5 years ago but discontinued them as they didn't prove to be a good long term solution

It works the same way as a suction cup, and like suction cups it doesn't work on rough surfaces, so depends a bit on your frit. If the frit is really sunshade and thus smooth then it may work fine, if it is real frit that has also be used for the sunshade so has a rough raised surface then it will probably not stick.

Once they are on and stuck they generally do stay long term, more durable than suction cups but a long way off a 3M pad stuck direct to the glass.

Many (most?) of them are not reusable, and the sticky pad you stick to them is also not reusable, so there is nothing saved except the effort of getting them off again and cleaning the residue off the glass, so if you want to be sure of permanent fixing, only use the sticky pad and be prepared for a fight to get it off when you eventually need to. If you have a hire car for a short while, use the anti-static sheet, or part of it, much easier to remove, but you are still sacrificing the sheet and sticky pad, so for regular short hires you are better off with a suction cup.

Some anti-static stickers seem to have some sort of glue on them which helps them stick, or maybe just fills any roughness to help them stick, so some will be better over frit than others.

Ok, I see. I also previously thought the static sticker could be used to make it easy to move a dashcam between cars back and forth and didn't realize they are generally not reusable. I don't think there's any information that comes with these stickers on what they're for or how to use them so need to come to these forums to find out and ask. Thanks for the provided info.

I cleaned and dried the inside of my windscreen before attaching the Static Sticker. The following morning I went out to attach the camera mount only to find the sticker was already peeling off. Almost half had detached itself from the screen. I ditched it and stuck the mount straight onto the windscreen.

Reactions: EGS
Well, I attached the camera directly to the windshield with the 3M glue and due to the humidity and condensation inside the car, the camera has detached after two weeks. I don't know if the static sticker will last me longer. What do you think?

Did the sticker come off the glass ?
My experience is if the sticker let go it do so on the bond to the camera and not the glass, if that is the case i just put a little CA glue on the plastic mount and pres it back on the sticky pad on the windscreen.
I would of course not use CA glue on the other side of the glass where it would get on the windscreen, but between the sticky pad and camera plastic i find it is no problem, and cameras i have given that treatment do not come loose again.

I have been using 1/4 of the static sticker i got with the T130 test sample from viofo, it have been working just fine and are now experiencing freezing temperatures and high humidity.

In my case, the static sticker wouldn't stick to the glass.

Well, I attached the camera directly to the windshield with the 3M glue and due to the humidity and condensation inside the car, the camera has detached after two weeks. I don't know if the static sticker will last me longer. What do you think?
I don't think either will stick to condensation.
Try using a hair drier to warm the glass a little so that it is dry before you attach the sticker. (Or use the car's heater).
Also make sure the glass is clean, do not use polish, stickers don't stick to polish.

Back