Any one else using solar panels for parking mode dash cams?

I did some tests and connect the solar panel Allpower 7.5w direct and measured the amps going into the battery, I am a bit disappointed, the results tells me it is not feasible.

It was sunny behind glass I was getting 0.068 amps, if I point it directly at the sun without glass in between I was getting 0.2amps, but since it wasn't water proof this is not an option.

When it was cloudy I got 0.012 amps (Monday), and 0.001 amps just now.

So really disappointed, I think Nigel's calculation is close to what we need, but I am not going to fit a big solar panel on my car, guess I am going to give up on solar.

Last edited:
It is what it is. Solar is still big for the power output, and I don't see much change in size as the technology is cutting-edge efficient now, and you must have enough size to capture the needed energy. I don't think it will be very long in coming that some cars will have integrated solar in the bodywork from the factory, maybe 5-7 years from now. It's possible now, just too costly and that is the area which is seeing the most development, not efficiency.

Phil

Phil,

Just read the Sono Motors Sion solar electric car coming out next year, one day charge can power it for 30km.

And my small solar panel can't even power the dash cam?

Maybe there is a more efficient small solar panel out there?

I just ordered a dc power monitor, want to see for sure how much power my dashcam is using and the panel are producing.

Phil,

Just read the Sono Motors Sion solar electric car coming out next year, one day charge can power it for 30km.
By my calculations it would need full midday sun on both sides of the car for about 10 hours for that charge! While the solar panels may be capable of doing it, the sun is not capable of providing enough sunlight from multiple directions simultaneously for the whole day.

Solar panels only provide significant power when there is no cloud and the panel is facing the sun. Wait until June to test it and you will get good results, November is the worst month in UK.

Nigel, I tried searching the forum for the answer but couldn't find it.

You seem to be good at calculations, do you know how long parking mode suppose to last with my F800 pro 2ch with just car battery? (70Ah)

I don't think it last that long but I don't know what time it stop working as doesn't have a log for when power off.

I have checked it numerous time it is powered off, I don't even think it make it through mid night, or until finish work at 5pm.

After hardwiring a Thinkware F770, I've been experimenting with how long my car battery can keep the cams (front and rear) running before it switches off. I've set the camera to cut off at 12.1vdc

So far, I've managed around 12-14hrs on a fully charged battery (after motorway journey for instance) before it stopped.

I bought a 7.5watt residential solar panel which either wires to the battery or the ciggy lighter. I've been using it with the ciggy lighter option so far (yes it is a permanent live) and I returned to my car after 17 hrs and it was still working.

I'll have to do a full test to when it actually cuts off but so far a marked improvement. A 15watt one could be the final solution but I haven't found one at the right size for the dashboard.
After hardwiring a Thinkware F770, I've been testing how long my car battery can keep the front and rear cams running before switching off at 12.1vdc. So far, it lasts about 12-14 hours on a fully charged battery after a motorway journey.

I added a 7.5-watt solar panel connected to the ciggy lighter (which is a permanent live). After 17 hours, the cameras were still working. I need to test further to find out the exact cutoff time, but it's a marked improvement. A 15-watt panel might be the final solution, though I haven't found one that fits the dashboard size.

Back