Any uk drivers mounted camera on drivers side

chili

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As above,
anyone mounted their camera on the drivers side inside of the legal area am looking at the viofo a139pro to instal in a merc, the merc has a large plastic bit in the middle of the windscreen with sensors etc so my ideal place would be the drivers side of the windscreen anyone got any pics of their cameras mounted on this side?

You don't want it blocking your view, so it is normally better on the passenger side, although blocking the view would probably be an MOT fail anyway.

The A139 is small enough that can probably go under the sensor pod and still be viewed as legal, if you take the 'swept area' to only include the visible swept area, you will likely pass an MOT in this situation. On some cars you don't want that though due to it blocking too much view.

You may be able to stick the camera to the sensor pod plastic, with just the lens either below or sticking out the side.

Take your time to chose the position, and check the video with it held there, and check that it is looking through a wiped area. Once it is stuck to the glass it is very hard to move.

If you are worried about reaching the buttons, there is a remote Bluetooth lock button available, and the rest are not normally needed, most things are done via the app. Although for some people the microphone button is important, you shouldn't really be using that when driving.

Once it is stuck to the glass it is very hard to move.
Are you not using the adhesion sticker?
My a139 pro came with 2 stickers that I could easily cut in half with a pizza-roll-knife + ruler.
That way you only need to get a fingernail under an edge of the sticker to take off the camera.
If you do it too often, you can either cut the sticker a bit smaller or quite easily roll-off the sticker from the camera glue-pad and put it on the next half-sticker.

To OP:
The A139 Pro isn't tiny, but also not really big. I'd say you could put it at the top left of the wiped area on the driver's side without getting in trouble.
The sensor panel was allowed too and blocks way more. Also the sun visors block waaaaaaaaaaay more.
As long as the camera is at the top edge of the wiped area and not straight in front of you, it should be okay.

I can take a picture from the rear seat later today, to get a less distorted photo.
This is what I have on my phone right now.
The edge of the wiped area is higher, but the adhesion sticker doesn't like the black-dotted sun blocking area.

20230622_174010.jpg

Last edited:
Are you not using the adhesion sticker?
My a139 pro came with 2 stickers that I could easily cut in half with a pizza-roll-knife + ruler.
That way you only need to get a fingernail under an edge of the sticker to take off the camera.
If you do it too often, you can either cut the sticker a bit see or quite easily roll-off the sticker from the camera glue-pad and put it on the next half-sticker.

To OP:
The A139 Pro isn't tiny, but also not really big. I'd say you could put it at the top left of the wiped area on the driver's side without getting in trouble.
The sensor panel was allowed too and blocks way more. Also the sun visors block waaaaaaaaaaay more.
As long as the camera is at the top edge of the wiped area and not straight in front of you, it should be okay.

I can take a picture from the rear seat later today, to get a less distorted photo.
This is what I have on my phone right now.
The edge of the wiped area is higher, but the adhesion sticker doesn't like the black-dotted sun blocking area.

View attachment 66090

cheers for the piccy, if i go ahead and mount mine it will be top left drivers side almost running along the roof liner edge, i have deliberately left my windscreen dirty so i can see the wiped areas. As for getting in trouble i think i would be in the legal area and its just a case of unplugging it prior to any mot's :)

If you lookup the various windscreen zones, a few sites show them, there is an area to the right of the mirror that is OK. It's just a matter of the wiped area v zone A or B

I've had an A139 / A139 Pro installed on the driver's side of the mirror for 2-3 years. No MOT issues.

img_20201112_140856-01-jpeg.54179

I couldn't do that because my 'pod' is almost as wide as the mirror.

These latest cars have so many safety cameras and sensors in the 'pod' it's wide.

Yeah i have noticed that the sensor housing on some cars, lets just say i am amazed that they can be approved for sale CUZ it take up a lot of room on the windscreen.
For sure if you had a old fashioned car with the mirror mounted off the roof and no sensors on the windscreen, well if you slapped your 9" ipad on the screen instead to take up at much room, well that would be highly illegal.

Same go with the LED light on some cars, even if it is not, it do feel as if they have their high beams on.

So here is my sensor in the windscreen
A is currently where my blackvue lens is looking out
B is this edge of the housing is in my video footage i can almost live with that
C is the area i am looking to place the a139pro
DASH.jpg

Yes, that looks very similar to my housing. Mounting to the right may cause MOT issues as that is a horizontal dashcam.

Here are the pictures with the phone against the headrest. I don't know if that would be okay with RHD, but I'd say yes. When I'm sitting in the passenger seat, I couldn't care less. I'm seeing everything.
When driving, I don't see the cam at all, but that's not on-topic.

20230706_152951.jpg20230706_153006.jpg

Here are the pictures with the phone against the headrest. I don't know if that would be okay with RHD, but I'd say yes. When I'm sitting in the passenger seat, I couldn't care less. I'm seeing everything.
When driving, I don't see the cam at all, but that's not on-topic.

View attachment 66121View attachment 66120

I see you're also afraid of the A-Pillar :ROFLMAO:

I see you're also afraid of the A-Pillar :ROFLMAO:
It's not the final cable placement hehe.
At least I hope so...
I have a few deadlines but found a great offer for the front-rear cam and wanted to test everything within the 14 days after delivery :p
Everything but the A-pillar was a simple lift+push without even the leverage tool needed. But the pillar is hard with no gaps.. I'll need to find DIY manuals for the skoda fabia 3 for hiding the cables.

Hope that works. Wouldn't work on mine as my 'pod' uses the top left quadrant of the black box area posted.

The other consideration is that the drivers mirror is angled and it has more room behind it on the passenger side but is a lot closer on the drivers side. As I remove my dashcam to offload the footage it would be almost impossible to get a hand round it to lift it off.

Also, check the dash cam view angle before sticking. If the lens is on the left side of the dashcam then you may have the issue I had where the wide angle FOV was picking up the 'pod' so I had to move it further away. If yours is the same you may have to have a 2" gap between the dash cam and 'pod' further encroaching into the X zone.

A lot of things to consider.

Back