Any Way To Reduce Blocky Dark Areas During Motion ?

finch

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello,

I notice that when playing back SG9665GC video on my PC,
the dark areas, (i.e. the roadway, a dark sky), when the vehicle is in motion, appear blocky.

When the vehicle is stationary, the dark areas are smooth and focused.

The lighter colored areas seem unaffected.

Is this simply vibration?

Is there any way to reduce this effect?

TIA

I've seen that happen when someone is using the 64bit version of VLC player rather than the 32bit version. Which playback software are you using?

Try registratorviewer or dashcamviewer.

Also have you installed the EVA foam pad?

Y8j9fMtm.jpg

Last edited:
Hello,

I notice that when playing back SG9665GC video on my PC,
the dark areas, (i.e. the roadway, a dark sky), when the vehicle is in motion, appear blocky.

When the vehicle is stationary, the dark areas are smooth and focused.

The lighter colored areas seem unaffected.

Is this simply vibration?

Is there any way to reduce this effect?

TIA

can you share original video file to download ?

I see the effect in Registrator, Dashcam Viewer, and Media Player Classic Home Cinema - 64.
It is most prominent when the video is viewed full screen.
I am using Windows 7 - 64 as my OS.
I don't have the EVA foam installed.
There is some 3M 9448A adhesive backed foam rectangles a little larger than the mount.
They would have to be trimmed a bit.
Is this what you are referring to.
If it is to absorb vibration, perhaps that is the problem.
It is hard to see in your photo where it gets put exactly.
Could you describe it?
After I place it, I will record more footage and if the blocky artifacting is still there I will try to put a link to the file.

Last edited:
the EVA is stuck to the mount as shown in the photo above, I don't think that's your issue though

Could it be the lack of a CPL, mine is on its way in the mail?

Hi,
I sent a private message, at least I think it is called a Conversation, to Pier28, jokiin, and niko with the link to a raw video file.
Let me know what you think of what you see.

You do get some compression artifacts, just the nature of compressing the raw camera output to something that wouldn't fill the card up in a few seconds.

It tends to be worse when there is a lot of detail to capture, like trees or lots of non uniform patterns/shapes.

You do get some compression artifacts, just the nature of compressing the raw camera output to something that wouldn't fill the card up in a few seconds.

It tends to be worse when there is a lot of detail to capture, like trees or lots of non uniform patterns/shapes.

You are correct, near the trees scenes you may see some blockyness with all dashcams, some produce more, some less. Trees area considered as extreme conditions, same as driving towards low sun. Present dashcam technology can not fully cope with those extreme conditions.

It's a limitation of the codec used more than the camera.

The actual data stream going to the dashcams processor should be completely block free.

As better codecs get implemented in future processing chips, dashcams will be able to produce better video, but ultimately, the whole point in encoding and compressing the video is to reduce the 62 million points of data per second, so you can store it.

In general use the 9665GC perform good with little blocking, but if you pass thru a ally of trees and sun filtering thru then you are in a extreme situation, but even here i think the 9665GC perform better than some other cameras i have seen.

I am eager to see if H.265 will make any difference compared to the current H.264 cameras

Back