Anyone into 3D printers?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Dual A119 (Front/Rear) W/CPL len's / GW1-C + others
Since 3D printers and 3D printer parts are coming down in price and I already have an old Kinect 3D camera collecting dust

I am now looking to purchase or build my first 3D printer...

I want to get the best "bang for my buck" but still have a reliable quality machine.

I don't care if I have to build it, or buy it..

Anyone got any recommendations for a custom build or any ideas to help make my decision?

There's a thread on them at budgetlightforum.com where a few of us here are members. Just guard your wallet when you go there because its easier to become a flashlight fanatic than you think :rolleyes: Always some kind of new toy out there to take our money but it's fun :p
http://budgetlightforum.com/node/53076

Phil

There's a thread on them at budgetlightforum.com where a few of us here are members. Just guard your wallet when you go there because its easier to become a flashlight fanatic than you think :rolleyes: Always some kind of new toy out there to take our money but it's fun :p

Phil

Familiar forum, but it can be dangerous to your wallet. Few month ago I started reading that forum and instead of initially planned 20-30eur “budget light“ I have ended up buying most expencive Armytek wizard pro xhp50 with additional batteries. But at least now I have piece of mind for many years and dont regret spending 3x over my initial budget.
I believe same is with 3D printers, you get what you pay.
I am still tempted to buy one, but after reading more and more forums I lean towards Original Prusa i3 MK2S.

Last edited:
Familiar forum, but it can be dangerous to your wallet.

Absolutely. I wanted just one decent keychain flashlight and now I have over a dozen retina-scorchers including one which will light you up at a full measured mile away, LiIon cells in many sizes, and chargers for them too :D Having fun is very hard to resist :rolleyes:

Phil

Phil

Phil,

I have been a member of BLF since 2012... Great forums. When I joined I owned only a couple flashlights... now I own at least 15 different models, with at least 20+ li-ion batteries of different types (18650, 16500, etc) along with several high end charging stations ( iCharger , 3 different Maha chargers, Nitecore , and two Turnigy Accucel-6's + more )

You are right about guarding your wallet @ BLF..

One of my concerns : Will I get my moneys worth out of a 3D printer..?

Does anyone here regret buying one because it doesn't get much use?

Last edited:
One of my concerns : Will I get my moneys worth out of a 3D printer..?

Does anyone here "regret" owning or buying one because it doesn't get much use?

if you don't have a need for one then you're never going to get your moneys worth out of it, we use ours for printing camera housing designs, it's primarily about saving time though, nothing to do with saving money, when we want to see a sample of a design what we would previously wait 7 days for we can have in around 4 hours, it's not uncommon to have to revise things multiple times so it can shave months off the development process

Well you are not a real MAN unless you own at least a couple of good flashlights.

I feel that way about a few things, and sadly a few of them i an blocked from fulfilling myself due to my unfortunate location on the globe.
But that's okay a lesser man are still a man as long as he know where the problems are :)

See now you went and done it again, all this talking made me ( or maybe it was googles commercial departments fault ) go and buy a new LED torch.

Got a good deal on a Manker U21 should be a good side kick, or should i say center kick as it is more of a thrower than my Nitecore P36.
And i have a large HID too if i need to set something on fire, or for use as a improv baseball bat.

Lucky thing flashlights are not yet illegal here in Denmark, but with the going rate they probably will be when we let insane idiots set the standards for our society.

I'm wanting to get into 3D printing myself but even the cheaper ones are more than I want to spend. I'd certainly use it a lot making it worthwhile. I have a few photographer friends who spend more on paper printers than what some 3D printers cost- the prices aren't anything like what they were just a few years ago. I'm just a cheapskate really but someday I know I will get one- they just look like the ultimate 'toy' for a creative person so I gotta have one too :rolleyes:

Phil

i "just" had a 24 mpix photo of my little sisters french bulldog printed out in the large 90 X 70 CM size for a huge picture/poster frame i also had lying around.

That along with a starter kit of Phillips HUE LED lights made up for a hugely popular moving in present for my sisters oldest girl when she moved into her new apartment.
No doubt the already popular uncle got even more popular then :) so that and the following days where i helped install lights - paint table and what not gave a huge kick in the right direction on my Karma account.

Anyways back to topic the huge print look perfect, both technically and on the wall in the girls apartment.
O and the print was fairly cheap, i dont know what a similar sized poster cost today, but the prize must be kinda the same a regular poster non limited edition or anything special Vs the huge print.
And it only took 2-3 days from i uploaded the raw picture to the print was delivered here at my apartment.

I'm wanting to get into 3D printing myself but even the cheaper ones are more than I want to spend. ........but someday I know I will get one- they just look like the ultimate 'toy' for a creative person so I gotta have one too
Stop talking like that!!! There was a discussion on 3D printers a few weeks ago and I was all Gung-Ho to get one then but finally beat some sense into myself and stopped that thought process.

Now it's started up again.... :confused:;)

yeah like my friend have a tendency to forget, you got to evaluate the starting up cost Vs how much you really will be using the damn thing.

Years ago my friend got a cutting printer to make stencils for painting, its a large one taking 3-4 feet wide rolls of "paper"
Only problem is he used it like 2 times for stencils to 1:10 RC cars, or rather his nephew have cuz my friend cant really be bothered with learning how to operate such technical things.

So for me its a constant battle as his friend to keep him for spending all his money and nurture his hording tendencies too much, and let me tell you it have not gotten easier with the advent of the internet and online shopping.

Back