Anyone understand Parking Mode and can help trouble shoot?

Taycanuser

Reaction score
Country
United States
I had the N4 Pro hardwired to my Taycan. Dashcam works well except I can't get it to switch over to parking mode. I've had numerous back and forth emails with Vanture and although they are nice and responsive, they aren't explaining everything clearly. I have it selected to "motion detection" in parking mode set at medium sensitivity. When I turn my car off the dashcam powers completely off. Nothing to indicate it switched over to parking mode and isn't recording anything. On the app two rows below "parking mode" is a separate option called "collision detection while in parking mode". You can't skip this or disable it. You have to select either "power save" or "quick start" mode. Yet Vantrue customer support says you can't select both motion detection and collision detection.

Has anyone experienced anything similar?

I had the N4 Pro hardwired to my Taycan. Dashcam works well except I can't get it to switch over to parking mode. I've had numerous back and forth emails with Vanture and although they are nice and responsive, they aren't explaining everything clearly. I have it selected to "motion detection" in parking mode set at medium sensitivity. When I turn my car off the dashcam powers completely off. Nothing to indicate it switched over to parking mode and isn't recording anything. On the app two rows below "parking mode" is a separate option called "collision detection while in parking mode". You can't skip this or disable it. You have to select either "power save" or "quick start" mode. Yet Vantrue customer support says you can't select both motion detection and collision detection.

Has anyone experienced anything similar?
Make sure you're tapped into the proper fuses. When I first hardwired my cam, which was for the Viofo A139 Pro, I didn't find a proper accessory fuse and it didn't work. Once I double checked my diagram and found a proper fuse it worked flawlessly. I'm even still using the Viofo hardwire kit with the Vantrue.

Also, make sure you have a proper ground or it won't work.

I agree with @SooksVI. Sounds very much like you don't have a permanent 12V supply to the camera, or have swapped the Acc and permanent 12V cables from the hardwire kit.

At the end of the day, you need that permanent 12V on the correct cable, and the Acc connection (on the other cable) informs the camera to go into parking mode when you leave the car. When it's working correctly you should see a message on the camera to that effect when the Acc connection power is removed.

The motion detection and collision detection options are different parking modes (that trade power consumption with effectiveness). There are a number of reviews, including mine :) , that have compared these modes. Either way, so long as you have some kind of parking mode enabled, it should switch to that when wired correctly.

I have no experience of a Taycan - you might want to investigate a Taycan forum for recommendations on which fuses to use for a hardwire kit?

I wonder if your Taycan is anything like my Q5 given that they're both VAG vehicles, in particular the part about not having an ignition triggered fuse available. How did you or your installer tap into power for the ACC wire on the hardwire cable? There are workarounds like tapping into an ignition triggered cig. lighter port instead of the fuse box and I wonder if you'd need something similar for your vehicle.

> tapping into an ignition triggered cig. lighter port

And that doesn't go through a fuse in the fuse box in these cars? Wow.

As an aside, aren't you concerned about invalidating your Porsche warranty by hard wiring the cam, assuming the car is still covered by it?

On that i feel.

Sure if you burn down your car and they find your fuse adapters there, you might get problems.
But otherwise how would they ever know they was there, it is a none destructive adapter, not like you cut a wire to splice into it.

EDIT:
I would say if i had been creative in my car, and say experience electric problems, well for sure i would remove my stuff before i go looking for warranty repairs.

As an aside, aren't you concerned about invalidating your Porsche warranty by hard wiring the cam, assuming the car is still covered by it?
If you still have a warranty on it, given how much you have paid/are paying for the car, you might consider paying to have installed professionally (maybe even by a Porsche dealer) so at least you may have some cover should it cause a fire or whatever.

On that i feel.

Sure if you burn down your car and they find your fuse adapters there, you might get problems.
But otherwise how would they ever know they was there, it is a none destructive adapter, not like you cut a wire to splice into it.

EDIT:
I would say if i had been creative in my car, and say experience electric problems, well for sure i would remove my stuff before i go looking for warranty repairs.
Suppose your car breaks down 100 miles from home and is recovered under warranty to Porsche. You have no tools, no opportunity to remove your gadgetry and wiring. You believe the breakdown is due to an unrelated electrical issue, or car battery issue. But Porsche blame it on your wiring and say it's not covered. You then have an argument on your hands.

Yeah that would be sucky.
Wouldn't the shop / brand have to prove it actually killed whatever, i would think so or they would be able to wipe anything off on something like that.
Your rear diff break, and as it have a wire to it too, your dashcam did it and its your fault. For instance.

One would hope that Porsche would be
grown up about such a thing fitted and not look for an excuse. Until recently Volvo did not/ would not recommend a dashcam, but never once did anyone point a finger at mine when it was taken in for work to be carried out. My recommendation would be to ask Porsche to fit the hard wire kit as per instructions supplied, it may cost an hours labour, but surely a Porsche is worth it.

Back