Are thefts of dash cams a 'thing' in the UK?

ThingInTheAttic

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
SG9663DC
Just as I've convinced myself that I've been very sensible in buying a Street Guardian with front and rear camera (because I sincerely wish I'd had one when someone caused over £200 worth of damage whilst I was parked, then drove off)- I seem to be reading about people having their cars broken into specifically to steal the dash cam.

Never even occurred to me that having a dash cam might actually attract trouble- do those of you in the UK who have had dash cams for a while think it's much of an issue, or do you not even think about it?

I dont think so, but i would always recommend people to buy a stealthy camera, and not one of those bling - bling look at me cameras.
I had my car in for MOT earlier in the year the guy there dident even notice the 3 cameras in front of my mirror or the 4 camera to the Right of them,,,, or any of the side / rear cameras.
though you cant really blame him as its not really something they look for.
But i have heard of one of the Danish guys i know from youtube that got his Luaks system stolen, but it was also one of the silly designed old Lukas systems, so not exactly stealthy.

In the event of a crash or something i would never mention mu cameras, not even to police.
Cuz it is clear some people can be triggered in a bad way by a camera filming them, but after 6 - 7 years of cameras in my car i cant say i have noticed anyone seeing my cameras aside for the silly kids earlier in the year, and i had to point my side camera out to them.

I recommend buying the smallest dashcam you can, I love my RSC nano. I’ve had burglars (that try to open every single car door in our lot) look right at it when my car was parked in our Parkade and they don’t even notice it.

I’m just really glad that I got rid of my other one with the built-in screen and silver chrome outline on the front it’s stood out like a sore thumb, right before our rash of break-ins started happening about a month and a half ago!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a front and rear ... but would like a hidden cam in the back left corner angled at the Driver window
for anyone who thinks they are safe if pinching the 2 in view cams or approach me (road rage etc) ------> ahhh ... GOTCHA!!! (y)

My 4 inputs are full - 2 cams + Garmin GPS + Heads Up display for speed reflected up on windscreen.
I guess there's always the Hard Wired option to free up some connections to add some more gadgets. :cool:

Here in the states, they are normally after luggage, purses and other things they can grab quickly. I think its very rare for them to actually pick a lock or use a tool to unlock. They use a window breaking tool to smash a window and grab whatever they can in a few seconds.

Here in the states, they are normally after luggage, purses and other things they can grab quickly. I think its very rare for them to actually pick a lock or use a tool to unlock. They use a window breaking tool to smash a window and grab whatever they can in a few seconds.

Yes, the dash cam thefts I'd been reading about were 'smash-and-grab' types. I think I read of three within a few days in my neighbourhood group that I follow on facebook-which unnerved me a bit! It's probably like anything else though, if it's already in your mind (I've literally just bought the dash cam this week) you do tend notice anything to do with that thing more than usual. Funerals. Whenever someone famous dies and it's on the news, I can guarantee I'll see more funeral processions in a week than I do in six months!

Just as I've convinced myself that I've been very sensible in buying a Street Guardian with front and rear camera (because I sincerely wish I'd had one when someone caused over £200 worth of damage whilst I was parked, then drove off)- I seem to be reading about people having their cars broken into specifically to steal the dash cam.

Never even occurred to me that having a dash cam might actually attract trouble- do those of you in the UK who have had dash cams for a while think it's much of an issue, or do you not even think about it?
I think you should be OK with your DC. It's more discreet than the majority of suction cup style cameras you see dangling from people's windscreens. The wedge cameras tend to look more like OEM cameras alongside rain sensors, headlight sensors etc.

I do run a number of cameras in my car, and I do try to make then as inconspicuous as possible. But that's mostly to avoid attention from other drivers on the road than to avoid detection by pedestrians and potential thieves.

I think I read of three within a few days in my neighbourhood group that I follow on facebook-which unnerved me a bit!
Given the lack of theft threads on this forum, I think cameras are more likely to put thieves off than to encourage them, but in most case the thieves don't seem to notice the cameras because they are not looking for them, hence the normal advice not to get a camera with shiny chrome plated lens cover, also avoid ones with suction cup mounts because they are easy to steal the entire camera and then sell on, ones with a sticky mount need a few minutes work with a hair drier to remove them in a state where they can easily be resold! However if your local thieves has learned that it is safe to steal cameras and that they can either profit from them or be safer if they steal the camera every time they see one then you should probably take some precautions until they are caught, or maybe until they move on to another area.

If they can read then a cloud connected internet camera sticker might help, but they are probably not going to read it, an extra hidden camera to record the theft is probably the best option if your are expecting them, once they are caught there will be no need to worry any more.

Remember that your insurance probably covers the cost of the theft, so if you are buying the dashcam as an accident camera rather than a theft prevention camera then you probably shouldn't worry about it, just make sure that the camera is reasonably well hidden. If you are buying the dashcam to prevent theft then you don't really want a dashcam, you want something small and hidden, probably with IR illumination.

on youyube you can find a video of a Jeep getting high jacked at gunpoint and the thieves speed away in it, only to crash it and get caught.
All of that they also never noticed the camera, which in that car appear to be located in a less favorable place ( right in front of driver )

Thats the good thing about criminals, they are often quite stupid.
BUT ! they are also opportunists, which is why it is best to get a camera with less of a chance of them ever spotting it.
The wedge style cameras often come off as a factory sensor on the windscreen, and if you have a dotted area in front of your mirror, then you can mount most of the camera on that so it is only the bottom with the lens that are visible.

I have always operated on the theory of "what isn't seen isn't stolen". And I further that when I can by being close but not next to a visibly better target who will hopefully draw the thief away from me. Luckily here in SC USA there's no black market for dashcams yet, but a decent GPS will draw thieves like a magnet and will be resold and gone in a half hour. Just aim for stealth and don't look like a target then hopefully you'll be OK.

Phil

I rather like the idea of other Drivers, especially those behind me who are tailgating noticing my Dashcam filming their every move - including their number plate.
As far as breaking in and pinching my 2 cams ... once pressing my key lock ... I manually check one door to make sure they are locked. That's about it.
I'm happy enough having the F&R Cam incase of accident to hopefully capture some evidence for my defence.

I guess my Garmin GPS is easily seen in the corner of Driver side windscreen on the Dash. I guess you'd just be unlucky to attract the attention of a thief game/desperate enough to do a smash and grab. I don't really hear of it (much) here in Melbourne, Australia.

Last edited:
once pressing my key lock ... I manually check one door to make sure they are locked. That's about it.

I'd recommend occasionally checking all the doors. My minivan has one door which no longer locks/unlocks by power due to lock wear or a weak solonoid, and another which is getting balky like this. I disabled the first door lock so it wouldn't surprise me and now I know to check the other door for function instead of just a random door.

Phil

My old Opel in the 90ties you could open the driver side door with any key or Popsicle stick that could go into the keyhole and turn the cylinder.

One day we did catch 2 kids trying to steal my car ( had a pager like alarm that dident mane any noise at the car level )
I got hold of one my friend the other,,,, i dont think i have ever heard any one scream like that as i jumped on his arm braking it,,,,, and i dont think the 2 kids stole cars or did anything stupid like that again.

Lots of replies since I last logged in, thanks guys. Well, I have finally got around to having my SG9663DC professionally installed & hard-wired in so that I can use parking mode- can't do any installation stuff myself as have a slight disability and I know naff all bout what goes where-being a laydee and only having a laydee's brain and whatnot. The installer has positioned the front camera fairly low down which I was a bit disappointed with initially, as it's so visible from the outside- but having said that, my car (2015 mazda2 Sportnav) does have quite a deep cluster of sensors in the centre, so I guess he's done the best he could. As Nigel said, hopefully its visibility will simply act as a deterrent, if it's noticed at all.
Street Guardian .JPG
The rear camera isn't very noticeable at all from outside, as car came with privacy glass. I quite like that and as I've only had the camera in for a week, I'm still enjoying the novelty of seeing people picking their nose/singing/eating/arguing with passenger/fiddling with their phone thinking no-one is watching when I review the footage!
IMG_3465.JPG

I may have some questions about the exposure and AE metering settings, as I stupidly fiddled about with them whilst exploring the menu, and now don't know what to re-set them to, or even whether I need to-but I will ask in another thread

Ask away if there's anything you're not clear on, the default settings for each menu option are all listed in the user manual which is available for download from the support page of our website

Ask away if there's anything you're not clear on, the default settings for each menu option are all listed in the user manual which is available for download from the support page of our website

Great, thanks Jokiin, I'll take a look at that later. One quick question for now- the little polarising lens cover thingy, the installer hasn't put that on either camera. How do I know if I need it, and which camera is it for-I'm assuming front?

Most often only needed on the front camera, not all cars will need to use it but many do, if you find you have excessive reflection from the dashboard then you should give it a try

Well, I have finally got around to having my SG9663DC professionally installed & hard-wired in ..... The installer has positioned the front camera fairly low down which I was a bit disappointed with initially, as it's so visible from the outside- but having said that, my car (2015 mazda2 Sportnav) does have quite a deep cluster of sensors in the centre, so I guess he's done the best he could. As Nigel said, hopefully its visibility will simply act as a deterrent, if it's noticed at all.
I'm surprised your installer has positioned the camera so low down in the centre of the screen. I'm slightly concerned that it may be an issue with the MOT, being a fixed item on the screen that partially blocks your view of the road.

My wife has a Mazda CX-5 with a similar sensor cluster. I installed a SG9665GC on the fret area on the passenger side of the cluster, although it only has a single cable that exits the top of the camera. I also installed an A129 on the passenger-side fret area in my Mazda 6. Like the DC, my A129 has cables coming out of the driver-side of the camera which face towards the sensor housing. The SD card slot is easy to access on the other side.
1542802444275.png

Back