Ausdom A261 Stops Recording Intermittently. Help Please

Bought it from gearbest BTW.
Mine is from them as well with no issues. If the GPS menu setting is completely gone check your firmware version.

Hi the unit seems to be genuine, the box and all other accessories match what I've seen in the unboxing videos online and the local forum.

I have one of the DBPower cameras I linked above and the firmware on it is
CAR DV 50 AKAR150921C

While my A261 firmware is
CAR DV 50 ARAK150718A

So your firmware is okay. You must have a bad unit. That seems very strange to me though that you said your GPS setting is not there correct? Not unselectable just not there

sbjVDmQ.jpg

Last edited:
Mine is from them as well with no issues. If the GPS menu setting is completely gone check your firmware version.

I have one of the DBPower cameras I linked above and the firmware on it is
CAR DV 50 AKAR150921C

While my A261 firmware is
CAR DV 50 ARAK150718A

So your firmware is okay. You must have a bad unit. That seems very strange to me though that you said your GPS setting is not there correct? Not unselectable just not there

That's right, no GPS icon (crossed with red line for unavailable or green for available service) AT ALL. As if there was no GPS module in that unit:eek:. How's that even possible? I mean I've chosen this specific dashcam for being a good value for its features and yet, the basic one is missing, as simple as that... Seems like I'd be the first one person where a problem like this occurred with this Ausdom A261 dashcam.

Just looking at that picture you've uploaded, the crucial satellite info between card volume and driver ID just isn't there, so it really looks like the menu on the DBPOWER unit. But funny enough it is the AUSDOM unit I bought.

How's that even possible?
The GPS could have come unattached or unplugged inside the camera, but if that was the case I would think that you would just always have a crossed with red line icon and your satellite info screen would be empty.
Not having it there at all is strange. Hopefully @GearBest can chime in.

Not sure.
Try resetting the camera.

If that doesn't work, look for firmware.
Maybe wrong fw installed.

Post a video of your menu settings.

I'll upload the video in the next 10 minutes, where you'll see the satellite info column is missing. Can't believe I got a dud:mad:

The GPS could have come unattached or unplugged inside the camera, but if that was the case I would think that you would just always have a crossed with red line icon and your satellite info screen would be empty.
Not having it there at all is strange. Hopefully @GearBest can chime in.

Strange, indeed! When I was unboxing it all looked brand new and untouched, the unit must be genuine IMO. But I hate to send it back to China, especially now around Xmas. Took nearly 6 weeks to get it in a first place...

Alright then, here's a 1min video that proves there's NO GPS WHATSOEVER on my Ausdom A261 unit.

Would anyone kind enough upload the latest firmware and perhaps a short tutorial how to flash it onto the Ausdom A261? I'm wondering if it's even possible, since I couldn't find any sort of an information on ausdom website. Otherwise I'll get in touch with friendly folsom from gearbest...

I'm quite disappointed that the unit I received from gearbest doesn't work as it should.

Potential buyers, be aware!

If the correct firmware was installed, would the GPS info setting show up on the menu, even if the the GPS was somehow faulty, unplugged....something?

FWIW the firmware on my functioning a261 is ARAK150718A also

If the correct firmware was installed, would the GPS info setting show up on the menu, even if the the GPS was somehow faulty, unplugged....something?

FWIW the firmware on my functioning a261 is ARAK150718A also

I honestly don't know if it's rather a firmware issue or a bad unit with non existing GPS. Wanted to try the firmware flash to definitely confirm it's a hardware failure.

I assume there's absolutely nothing I can do, since no one has come across an issue like that before. And there seems to be no official or even unofficial way how to flash the firmware. Or where to download it in a first place.

Again, nothing about GPS is depicted anywhere in the menu. Grayed our or visible, just nada.

Looks original Ausdom so it's weird.
Did you reset it?

Also, I'd try flashing it with different and/or same firmware and see if it resets all the options.

BTW, what about video?
Does the video have GPS info?
There maybe a text file with GPS info in the card.

Text file will have this property:
Text
ID : 3
Format : Timed Text
Codec ID : text
Duration : 5mn 0s
Source duration : 5mn 0s
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 595 bps
Stream size : 21.8 KiB (0%)
Source stream size : 21.8 KiB (0%)
Title : Ambarella EXT / Ambarella EXT
Language : English
Encoded date : UTC 2015-10-12 21:31:26
Tagged date : UTC 2015-10-12 21:31:26

Here's my FW:

20151012_072747-version-jpg.17876

Looks original Ausdom so it's weird.
Did you reset it?

Also, I'd try flashing it with different and/or same firmware and see if it resets all the options.

BTW, what about video?
Does the video have GPS info?
There maybe a text file with GPS info in the card.

Text file will have this property:
Text
ID : 3
Format : Timed Text
Codec ID : text
Duration : 5mn 0s
Source duration : 5mn 0s
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 595 bps
Stream size : 21.8 KiB (0%)
Source stream size : 21.8 KiB (0%)
Title : Ambarella EXT / Ambarella EXT
Language : English
Encoded date : UTC 2015-10-12 21:31:26
Tagged date : UTC 2015-10-12 21:31:26

Here's my FW:

20151012_072747-version-jpg.17876

Sunny, thanks for coming back to me, appreciate it vastly!

To answer your questions one by one:

1) I did a reset of the unit numerous time either using the hardware button on the side with the unit running on battery or connected to power. Also I did the reset through default setting in the menu. Result: still a missing GPS icon.

2) How do you flash the firmware in the first place? Where can I find the firmware file? Any help is much appreciated, once again! All I could find is Ausdom's website:

https://www.ausdom.com/download/a261-html

3) Video itself looks great, using the Full HD 1920x1080 30fps option. All information that shows up is time and date in the right lower corner.

4) On the memory card there are two folders: EVENT and NORMAL. I have videos recorded in both of them and all there is are MOV files only. No sign of text files whatsoever (which would make sense due to the missing GPS module, I guess?)

5) The unit shows the very same firmware you have.

Massive thanks for any help in advance!

Last edited:
The camera is GPS version as it has the GPS Built-in printed right there on your unit.
I'm thinking it's something with FW.

That Ausdom site doesn't have FW to download.
Not sure if the viewer has FW in it so download that and check.

If no, contact Ausdom there and ask why satellite info is missing and to provide the firmware.

@GearBest is just supplier so not much technical info from there compared to manufacturer.

If all fails to bring GPS, replacement is an option unless you can do without GPS.

I'm not sure if anyone here can extract FW from existing unit so you are up to the mercy of manufacturer on that one.

The camera is GPS version as it has the GPS Built-in printed right there on your unit.
I'm thinking it's something with FW.

That Ausdom site doesn't have FW to download.
Not sure if the viewer has FW in it so download that and check.

If no, contact Ausdom there and ask why satellite info is missing and to provide the firmware.

@GearBest is just supplier so not much technical info from there compared to manufacturer.

If all fails to bring GPS, replacement is an option unless you can do without GPS.

I'm not sure if anyone here can extract FW from existing unit so you are up to the mercy of manufacturer on that one.

I agree with you on the statement that gearbest are just a middleman and it's not exactly their fault that I was provided with a broken unit. The more I think about it, perhaps it's for a greater good in the end that I got a dud (be it a firmware/software or hardware issue), because it says something about quality control from ausdom. I'm sure A261 is a great dashcam, if it works to its full potential, numerous positive reviews are a clear proof to that. My case might be quite rare, but hey better to send other buyers a friendly warning before they decide to pull the trigger, you know. I suspect their software support is rather poor at this stage, since having a chance to receive regular updates is a must, at least for a reputable product maker.

The small DVD provided is next to useless, it contains the 32 and 64bit versions of the crappy GPSplayer software. Would have expected an actual firmware files to be present, but no luck there. All I get with dashcam connected to Windows XP/7/10 is a blue screen with USB connecting... message. The actual dashcam comes up under the device manager as AMBA storage USB device under Disk devices. So much for the software support, right?

I've contacted gearbest already, they've come back to me in a few minutes with more information which I've provided them with like the video I made earlier today, they asked me for a barcode on the box, I've confirmed that tried to reset the unit several times to no avail. I'll see what they come up with and I'll contact ausdom afterwards, depending on a nature of the answer from gearbest.

Honestly I doubt there's a method to flash the firmware on A261, since there's no legal (or not so legal?) software available. Ausdom themselves are to be blamed here by right, no doubt about that. I could do without a GPS in the end, but that defies the purpose of the dashcam itself, one of its main features, that is.

I'll keep this thread updated with any findings either way from gearbest or ausdom.

A big thanks for your replies, Sunny! I've actually bought A261 based on your reviews on youtube and here in the forums, believe or not:).

Cheers,

Mike

Last edited:
Alright then,

time to update this thread a bit, in case other people might be looking for an information regarding a missing/malfunctioned GPS in Ausdom A261. Just got a reply from Ausdom support with a following answer:

Hi Michael,

Thank you so much for buying AUSDOM products and really sorry for replying late since just back from weekend.

Regarding the built-in GPS function, we think you may have misunderstood in the part. The GPS function for this dash cam is that you can track your driving path when playing the recorded video with the Google GPS Player which you can download here: https://www.ausdom.com/download/a261-html. The file "A261 GPS Player(Zip)".

Hope this is helpful.

Wish you a nice day.

Best Rgds.

Ausdom Support

Is there more to say here? It looks they've decided to go the "the problem is not on our side" path. Fair enough. I've replied back politely how buggy and unreliable their software is, but was still able to use it to play a short recording that clearly proves there's no GPS data displaying in their GPS player. The uploaded video is here:

Once again I've asked them for providing me with a proper firmware file and if possible a short tutorial how to flash it onto the A261 unit. If they fail to do so, which I more or less expect, it will be a confirmation I have a unit with a hardware failure called missing GPS (or disconnected somehow? dunno).

Also, haven't received the second answer from gearbest support yet, the ticket is submitted with them, hopefully they'll be back to me soon.

I'll update this thread accordingly.

Mike

Just got another answer to my second email by ausdom. I suppose it doesn't need much comment really:

Hi Michael,

Thank you so much for your understanding.

First, Yes, we've checked your video on dailymotion. This is the right presentation of this model. We noticed the satellite signal is not stable, so can we know whether you are checking this indoor and not in open area?

Second, can we know whether you've played the recorded video with our recommended Google GPS player? Using this player, you can check your driving path on the player. That's how the built-in function works on this dash cam.

Third,regarding the Google GPS Player,I've failed to send it to you via the email. I will send it to you via watertransfer or sendspace tomorrow when the internet is better. Okay?

Many thanks for your understanding.

Best Rgds.

Ausdom Support

I'm quite speechless at this stage. Still, I've answered their questions once again politely. They're not gonna admit there's a problem on their side, obviously. And I wouldn't get mad if they admitted it's just a faulty unit, so I can go back to gearbest for good with an official statement from ausdom. That way I can clearly ask for either way a full refund or a replacement.

Will keep this thread updated, folks.

Mike

First, Yes, we've checked your video on dailymotion. This is the right presentation of this model. We noticed the satellite signal is not stable, so can we know whether you are checking this indoor and not in open area?
Is this some kind of joke? The satellite signal is not stable? What satellite signal??? :confused:

Is this some kind of joke? The satellite signal is not stable? What satellite signal??? :confused:

Frankly, I don't know if I should cry or laugh myself after I got that 2nd email from them:rolleyes:. My bet is the poor fella from ausdom support didn't know how to respond properly. The interesting part is the one with sending me the GPS player software tomorrow when the internet is better. It could mean someone above him in the company's hierarchy shall look at this "GPS affair" or in other words I'm screwed anyways:(.

Can't wait for more interesting messages from ausdom to read:confused:.

Did they understand that the 'Satellite Info' settings is missing from the menu?
You may want to send link to your menu video.

Did they understand that the 'Satellite Info' settings is missing from the menu?
You may want to send link to your menu video.

Sunny, I'd be much surprised if they didn't. And I sent them the video link during my communication with them twice. It was as clear and transparent as it only could be.

Just curious if there'll be a response tomorrow when the internet is better as promised:rolleyes:.

The way I see it there are only two possibilities:

1. If the menus look like the DBPower ones, either the firmware is counterfeit and it's the same but with the Ausdom's version, which is kind of a long shot but we know it's perfectly possible.
2. The firmware only recognizes the GPS function if the antenna is connected, which leads us to a disconnected or malfunctioning antenna.

Back