Auto-overwrite without LOOP

Files are closed approaching 4GB. So that at maximum bitrate, frontcam files are 9 minutes 23 seconds long and not syncronized with rearcam that continues to have files 10 minutes long. The 4GB limit exists for EXFAT sdcards too.

My 5 minute file was 1gb to 1.2, so 10 minutes should be about 2.4gb. (High Bitrate set) If I remember right, that was the case when i viewed my 10 minute clips. So, it shouldn't be an issue. I would think, VIOFO programers would have theorized or calculated that limit, which is why 10 minutes would be the highest loop option available. If they haven't they should taken that consideration for each format they support.

I am going to set it to max bitrate soon. I don't expect it will be much bigger in file size, as it uses a variable bit rate when possible taking into consideration your choice of Bitrate. It does change the quality depending on your bitrate setting.

I just notice there is Automatic "FORMAT" option - I can choose every 15/30 days - Question : When card is full - Why would they gave us option "automatic format" if files can "overwrite" when card is geting full?

There is just no logic in VIOFO thinking.

It a reminder option to format the card. Memory card can get bad/corrupted and reformatting fixes it. Like our hard drives can develop bad sectors. The option does NOT auto format. Just a reminder. I got mine set for monthly reminder.

I always format after I finish browsing/ downloading what I want. These memory cards have limited life and reliability

Occasionally formatting cards helps them keep working smoothly- most dashcam manufacturers recommend that you do this regularly :cry: I can't offer a technical explanation but I do know that I've had cards that began working erratically which formatting seemed to have fixed. These were all older Transcend 400X cards which were once my go-to for my 1080P cams. It seems to have been a thing towards the end of their working life. Having a reminder to do this seems like a good idea to me, especially with my aging brain tending to be more forgetful than ever :whistle:

I seriously wonder if my dashcams haven't become more reliable than my memory these days, but so far I haven't left the house without being fully clothed so maybe I'm not doing too bad after all :ROFLMAO:

Phil

@BoloYang - did you managed to find a solution ? Considering now A129 Pro as an option to buy but there so many bad reviews (incl. about looping) that scary me a bit

I haven't experience any looping issue. Some minor stuff, but next update should fix it. As for heat, time will tell.

Back