AV output through USB on 0806?

erkme73

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
a119v3 x 4
The Xaiomi YI camera, despite having a µHDMI port, also supports analog video output through pin 4 (signal) & 5 (ground) on the µUSB port. With the implementation of loop-recording, and now an ash script that will automatically start recording when it's powered on, it looks like they're moving towards marketing it as a viable dash camera. Nevertheless...

Does anyone know if the 0806 has this same capability? That is, does it provide analog output via the µUSB port?

Alternatively, has anyone had any experience converting the HDMI signal to a composite/RCA analog output? My head unit doesn't have HDMI input.

Yes, on the same pins, you need to turn it on in the menu though.

Oh that's great! I just finished wiring the cable for the YI in my truck (center, inside). I'm using it to aim at the kiddos in the back seat, and putting the video on the head unit. Beats constantly turning around to see what they're destroying.

Beats constantly turning around to see what they're destroying.
Great idea, but illegal in this country, driver is not allowed to be able to view video while driving, with the exception of reversing camera - think about safety.

When I said "same pins", I think that is correct, but it is from memory, if it doesn't work then look it up in case they are swapped over or something silly.

Yes, those laws exist here - no video within view of the driver. That has become somewhat of a grey area, though. Obviously watching TV/movies/YouTube, etc. is what is intended. But, as technology gets more dynamic, where do we draw the line? Modern navigation systems could clearly be considered video - especially with all 5hz updates, various screens that pop up for POI's, street signs, and lane clarifications. Likewise, running Pandora or other streaming radio services can result in fairly dynamic screens as well.

I'm not concerned about it, as I think overall, having a view of the kids is akin to having a mirror (with much better clarity) aimed at the back seat - an thus, it increase safety by reducing (or eliminating) the need to turn around and view the kids.

Great idea, but illegal in this country, driver is not allowed to be able to view video while driving, with the exception of reversing camera - think about safety.

I do wonder where we are upto on interpretation of this dated law given all the tech coming to cars thesedays, I know one of the new nissans has a camera to provide rear view which is transmitted to a screen in the mirror (monitor) - strictly speaking its not just a reverse camera as it gives a constant live picture like a traditional rearview mirror would but with enhanced fov!

I do wonder where we are upto on interpretation of this dated law given all the tech coming to cars thesedays, I know one of the new nissans has a camera to provide rear view which is transmitted to a screen in the mirror (monitor) - strictly speaking its not just a reverse camera as it gives a constant live picture like a traditional rearview mirror would but with enhanced fov!
I think rear view cameras have been allowed for ages since they are used by HGVs etc where an actual mirror wouldn't work. The car companies seem to be unable to use cameras for the side mirrors even though they have been appearing on show cars for years and improve fuel consumption because the camera can be tiny compared to an actual mirror.

The main issue is, will it distract the driver from concentrating on their driving? I think a child view camera could easily take the drivers eyes off the road in front for too long at the wrong time and is therefore dangerous. The children could even use the camera as a challenge to intentionally cause a distraction.

I think rear view cameras have been allowed for ages since they are used by HGVs etc where an actual mirror wouldn't work. The car companies seem to be unable to use cameras for the side mirrors even though they have been appearing on show cars for years and improve fuel consumption because the camera can be tiny compared to an actual mirror.

The main issue is, will it distract the driver from concentrating on their driving? I think a child view camera could easily take the drivers eyes off the road in front for too long at the wrong time and is therefore dangerous. The children could even use the camera as a challenge to intentionally cause a distraction.

Yes the problem is in the clarity I had a hd bullet cam on the back of my old van and I defiantly glanced into it (monitor) slightly longer than I would a regular mirror due to the extra detail that could be seen, A cam aimed at the back seat would almost certainly increase the time eyes are taken off the road so a definite no, no to me!

have a look at this thred which shows all of what you want to do

John

Which thread?

Back