B1W no warning on corrupted SD card

yosi

Reaction score
Country
Israel
I have the B1W camera with Samsung class 10 micro sd card (32 GB).
The card is corrupted, cannot access files using the mobile app or the computer.
However, when the camera starts, it says recording start, also, when pressing the button, it says lock file.
How is it possible the camera fails to detect a faulty card?
Can it be fixed by updating the firmware?
Tested the camera in the car and also when connected to a wall socket using an original raspberry pi 3 power adapter (same result, the camera does not report the faulty card).

Change to a new card and to see if it can save the footage?

Replaced to a new card:
SanDisk Ultra 64 GB A1, recording works well now.
The previous card was working well (for at least a year), I checked the recorded videos every few months.

I have this camera for a few yeas, but now I don't trust it.
I needed the videos in the camera.

Change to a new card and check its footage in the app every week to make sure its camera can keep the time!

I think this is a critical missing (or not working properly) feature in the camera, my next camera will be Viofo, seems more reliable in detecting corrupted sd cards.
I will check my Blueskysee camera every month, but will not recommend anyone buying it.

The alarm upon failure to write are a "new" thing, i dont think it is supported in all of the hardware out there used in dashcams, just as some chip sets still dont have wifi.

I think B1W is a good camera, recommended in the past for (4) friends and family.
However, now I think it is not reliable enough.
WIFI is a nice feature but not on expense of failing to detect a corrupted sd card.
Also, this is a camera from 2018 and its price did not decrease too much (in the recent 2 years) ~40$, so this is not a good value for money anymore.

Yes it is a old camera you manual have to keep a eye at, i still do this with more modern cameras just to be safe, though not as often as i have many cameras in the car, the new test cameras get the most attention.
The memory card are often the weak link in a good camera.

So what are the alternatives for the B1W as a compact dashcam without a display screen? I am very happy with the two B1W's I use as front and rear cameras and have transferred them to four different vehicles over the past three years. I like the fact that they are such a small profile and can be installed without obscuring the front or rear view. They have been very reliable. The only problem I had was with a failed power supply.

I think the B1W is still a good value for what it is, and I know of no other budget-friendly can which does better vid quality in that small of a package with supercaps. The Garmin Mini2 is much smaller, and mine has done well so far, but it costs a lot more and you still only get 1080p video.

Phil

Mine has slipped back into the SD Card Low Speed loop. Soooooo annoying and this is my 5th SD Card I have tried so it's clearly a camera issue. Unfortunately I've had it a couple of years now off eBay so no warranty chance :(

So what are the alternatives for the B1W as a compact dashcam without a display screen? I am very happy with the two B1W's I use as front and rear cameras and have transferred them to four different vehicles over the past three years. I like the fact that they are such a small profile and can be installed without obscuring the front or rear view. They have been very reliable. The only problem I had was with a failed power supply.
It is now sold in about 100 USD, however, sometimes its price decreases to 75 USD.
It is not a discrete camera nor does it have WIFI.
However, it is more recent and has a better video quality and a longer warranty .

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P B1W 1
E B1W 0
Back