B40/A118 or Mobius?

B40/A118 or Mobius or Wait?

• Total voters

Benihana

Reaction score
Country
United States
I can't decide which one out of these two dash cams to buy.

I'm leaning towards to B40/A118 due to having a G-Sensor but is the necessary? (I live in California where accidents don't often occur on purpose but "actual" accidents happen and random **** does happen once in a while which I would like the capture.)

Is there news of any new dash cam coming out anytime soon similar to the B40/A118 or Mobius?

Help me decide! Thanks in advace!

What's your driving style? Mostly day / night or a mixture?

The A118 is great in the day and ok at night in well lit streets, but the Mobius has superior dark night footage from what I've seen. Street Guardian have a revision coming down the line with a new lens and capacitor which I think will level the playing field there and they also have an A7 device coming which will offer better performance than the A118 and Mobius.

The form factor of the A118 is great though for hiding away and I'm running one as my primary camera right now in the front of the car while I wait for some new ones to land - the fact you can't see it is fantastic.

If you're in California you may have issues with heat and the batteries in dash cams which is where the capacitor ones come into play as they're not as heat sensitive.

I can't decide which one out of these two dash cams to buy.

I'm leaning towards to B40/A118 due to having a G-Sensor but is the necessary? (I live in California where accidents don't often occur on purpose but "actual" accidents happen and random **** does happen once in a while which I would like the capture.)

Is there news of any new dash cam coming out anytime soon similar to the B40/A118 or Mobius?

Help me decide! Thanks in advace!
What you didn't mention is your budget or needs. G sensors, to most, aren't useful since pot holes can set them off and G sensors only lock files, which is a simple one button press on most cams.

Are newer features worth the wait? Newer processors and features will cost more.

What's your driving style? Mostly day / night or a mixture?

The A118 is great in the day and ok at night in well lit streets, but the Mobius has superior dark night footage from what I've seen. Street Guardian have a revision coming down the line with a new lens and capacitor which I think will level the playing field there and they also have an A7 device coming which will offer better performance than the A118 and Mobius.

The form factor of the A118 is great though for hiding away and I'm running one as my primary camera right now in the front of the car while I wait for some new ones to land - the fact you can't see it is fantastic.

If you're in California you may have issues with heat and the batteries in dash cams which is where the capacitor ones come into play as they're not as heat sensitive.

I would say my driving style is a mixture of both night and day. After reading these responses I would probably hold off until after the Holiday season to see if any new cams come out. Where would I find news of upcoming dash cams?

What you didn't mention is your budget or needs. G sensors, to most, aren't useful since pot holes can set them off and G sensors only lock files, which is a simple one button press on most cams.

Are newer features worth the wait? Newer processors and features will cost more.

My budget would be around $100. If you say the G-Sensor is unnecessary I'll definitely lean towards the Mobius unless something better pops up within the next couple months.

Thanks for the suggestions!

I would say my driving style is a mixture of both night and day. After reading these responses I would probably hold off until after the Holiday season to see if any new cams come out. Where would I find news of upcoming dash cams?

My budget would be around $100. If you say the G-Sensor is unnecessary I'll definitely lean towards the Mobius unless something better pops up within the next couple months.

Thanks for the suggestions!
I'm sure new cameras are coming, just not sure for under $100 that will top the Mobius. Besides if you find a new camera, the Mobius makes a great rear camera, which would have been your next dash cam purchase. I'm not saying the Mobius is the best camera ever; I'm saying it's a very good camera and you won't regret the purchase.

I'm not saying the Mobius is the best camera ever; I'm saying it's a very good camera and you won't regret the purchase.

I think it's great as it can always be repurposed anyway, would never go to waste even if upgrading to a dedicated dashcam later

I've used my Mobius so far for pretty much everything - dash cam, action cam, underwater cam, pram cam, time-lapse cam - it really is a jack of all trades!

That reminds me I need to work out a nice little temp mounting solution to run the A and B lens versions side by side :)

is it legal to put this in your car and record anywhere in all states? legal to record when cop pulls you over?

A118 now $79.98 on Amazon. Is deal good?

GearBest.com has the A118 for $62 With coupon code GBA118

My dashcam supposedly has a G-sensor, but I don't think it works (I set to high sensitivity, but it still never picks anything up). That said, I don't think it's a necessary feature-- if something interesting happens, it's a click of a button to lock that file. If I get into a crash, as long as power gets cut off before the camera loops around, I won't care. And I also probably won't be concerned if I have to turn off the camera for the rest of the day to ensure the crash footage is saved.

Perhaps the G-sensor is useful for the camera to determine when you're parked (for "parking mode"), but parking modes are generally useless on <$100 cameras.

I wanted to get the A118, but after reviewing the arrangement of the dotted area of my windshield, the box for the rain sensor, and the mirror's mount, it may not work very well for me. So instead I have the Seezeus GT550WS (from FoxOffer)... I don't particularly like the form factor of the camera, but the video quality's good (so is the audio), and I was able to "hide" it in front of my rearview mirror, using an adhesive mount. I can't see the camera's screen, but the lock button is easily reachable.

G-sensor = complete waste of time ime.
Where I've had cams with this facility, I've turned it off because even on lowest setting, the bumps and potholes were recorded.
I also cannot see the point in asking the cam to work harder than it really has to - I like the cam to concentrate on doing just the one job - recording video and audio.
As for locking files after an accident - that's OK as long as the accident occurs during the current file - if you normally save 5 minute files and the accident occurs at 4:59:58, by the time you press the save button, it might have started recording the next file!
With a 64gig card in my Mobius I'm getting almost 9hrs' recording - even if a bump occurs at the start of my shift, I can always drop the file onto my computer at lunchtime. Even if I were just setting off on holiday & had a bump, I could always stop into a local supermarket, Maplins, PC world, Argos etc (and major supermarkets are open 24 hours) and buy a spare card

The A118 is great first dash cam, which is why we started selling it at BlackBoxed.ca. If you don't already have a dash cam, don't wait and get one as soon as possible!

Kelvin

I'll add that one benefit of a G-sensor is as a "teaching experience" for learning drivers.

I've recently used a A118, and I really liked it. I put it against the windshield toward the top. That unit has all the bells and whistles, some may be useful to you and those that don't , just check them off in the menu.

This forum has a plethora of data, personal experiences and just good friends willing to help.
It's not like any forum I have ever participated in.

Back to the A118. I really liked it but I bought from a bad vendor and I returned it. If you research you will find that heat has been a problem, but changes in the case, more slots to allow more airflow and I believe that some batteries have gotten to hot, shutting down the system. They are testing Super Capacitors to replace batteries.

Möbius I have done my research and this is the unit I have choosen. Please read up on this little jewel. I understand some improvements may be ready this month or next.
Enjoy.

Ties
I've recently used a A118, and I really liked it. I put it against the windshield toward the top. That unit has all the bells and whistles, some may be useful to you and those that don't , just check them off in the menu.

This forum has a plethora of data, personal experiences and just good friends willing to help.
It's not like any forum I have ever participated in.

Back to the A118. I really liked it but I bought from a bad vendor and I returned it. If you research you will find that heat has been a problem, but changes in the case, more slots to allow more airflow and I believe that some batteries have gotten to hot, shutting down the system. They are testing Super Capacitors to replace batteries.

Möbius I have done my research and this is the unit I have choosen. Please read up on this little jewel. I understand some improvements may be ready this month or next.
Enjoy.

Tiesfong B40 has been updated with more ventilation holes to give off heat ,also with new rotation lens, Tiesfong calls the upgraded one to be B40S,it is a good budget camera with GPS,G_sensor.

joovuu.com

Back