Backup cam

John2001

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have to backup across a sidewalk to get out of my driveway. Because of the neighbor's hedge on one side and a rock wall on the other their is little visibility in either direction crossing the side walk. The backup camera image is not wide enough to be of any real help. I have a backup beeper but people will still walk behind the car. I suppose they may be using ear buds or distracted by social media but they do have the right of way. Any suggestions on a setup which will allow me to see in both directions for pedestrian traffic before crossing the sidewalk?

Thanks
John

I dont think there are very many backup cameras with a true 180 degree FOV so you could actually see to the side.

It is not uncommon here if thy have a driveway in a bad place, to put up some kind of curved mirror to help, but that would probably not work good when reversing.

Have you considered reversing into your driveway, as from out on the road you might have a better perspective on things.

When i leave home, i drive thru a tunnel in the apartment block, so even if i drive forward you have to be very careful as its right across a sidewalk, and you have 0 side view and only a foot or two of clearance either side of the car.

portal.jpg

So i nudge forward very slow of course, and then be ready on the brake.
Even if i drive a snub nosed car with a hood that's just 3 feet or so long on my almost micro 5 door hatchback

Last edited:
Backing in is a PITA. There is only about 4in of clearance on each side going through the garage door. I have lost the skill to back up through a narrow opening. Beside that, the sight line would not be much better for a fast kid on a bike even pulling forward. I was thinking of two cams pointing 180deg apart on the rear bumper. It might work if I could get a split screen display. Anyone know of such?
John

Hehe i hear you, even if i am certified to drive just about anything with wheels, and reversing is a favorite of mine, then i also have to admit the only times i have ruined things on my car or dented it have been while reversing.

I can not say i have heard of any LCD screen with 2 inputs, and so i would assume the option to do a split screen with those.
What about one of those,,,,, emmmm isent it Muxers, or whatever name that can handle several inputs, and so it maybe being able to mix that into a 50/50 picture.

I will hit up my search thing and see if i can find something, that be after my pills a sip of soda

I did find dual indput LCD screens, but pages was gone, dident find a mixer / muxer or whatever name.

Did find this which i assume could be made to work. https://store.hudway.co/cam_set

Backing in is challenging with the tight clearance. A dual camera setup does seem like it could help if you can find a good way to view both feeds at once. Kamkar's suggestion of the Hudway camera set looks promising since it allows manually selecting feeds.

That has some potential. I am not too enthusiastic about the projector display. I have never seen the Hudway brand before. Is it a reliable brand?

They have not really featured here, but i think they have been on various crowd funding sites for a while.
So none of us can say very much for sure about them

I have to backup across a sidewalk to get out of my driveway. Because of the neighbor's hedge on one side and a rock wall on the other their is little visibility in either direction crossing the side walk.

Kamkar's suggestion about a mirror is actually a good one. Convex Traffic Safety Mirrors are the typical solution to the problem you seek to solve. Often they are pole mounted but also can be wall mounted. Sometimes only one is needed but depending on your circumstances you might need two. Even though you would be backing up you would be able to view the traffic mirrors well enough to peer around the blind corners to see if anyone is coming using the rear view mirrors in your car. These types of mirrors are available in different sizes and price ranges.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=convex+mirror+for+driveway

mirror3.jpg

mirror1a.jpg

mirror1.jpg

Back