Battery life - advice/help please.

u73305

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have recently purchased a G1W as a present. I tried it out and it all looks good except for one issue - the battery life.

I am charging it up via the usb into my laptop. The blue light comes on , but instead of the advised two hour charging time, it takes about quarter of an hour for the light to go off. This gives me 12 minutes of recording. Unsure whether I was being a bit hasty in unplugging the unit, I left it plugged in overnight but had the same results.

I believe the battery must be faulty but would be delighted if someone could advise otherwise.

Many thanks in advance.

Andrew

Thanks for your prompt response.

That's a bit disappointing but it does explain the numerous threads about hard wiring it in. At least the supplied cable is nice and long.

Regards,

Andrew

Had similar case with very first g1w bought half y ago. After some short use battery died completely, had to buy replacement.
If you battery is completelly flat ( faulty, not charging etc ) yes - you can still record videos if connected to power via miniusb port but it does not record very last file. In many car accidents car power cuts off, so you will not have that last very important footage saved.

Thanks for your prompt response.

That's a bit disappointing but it does explain the numerous threads about hard wiring it in. At least the supplied cable is nice and long.

Regards,

Andrew

not sure what you were thinking, maybe it wasn't explained correctly but the primary function of the battery is for file save and shutdown, the camera is intended to be powered by the vehicle, it's not intended to run off the battery

Thanks for everyone's assistance.

I wasn't aware that the battery life would be so short lived but as I said, it explains a few things. I must have missed any reference to this.

Regards,

Andrew

Is it easy to replace the batteries in this unit? I mean, since the last file right before an accident is the most important file and it does not get saved then what is the point of these dash-cams. What is the easiest way to check that the batteries are good?

The archilles' heel of these lower end cams is usually the battery, one of the first things to fail.

Is it easy to replace the batteries in this unit? I mean, since the last file right before an accident is the most important file and it does not get saved then what is the point of these dash-cams. What is the easiest way to check that the batteries are good?

Easy - it is wide therm. For me yes easy, - for others maybe not, but it is not complicated. Just very small soldering of replacement battery wires to existing battery wires, or you can do old-school, just twist cables together and wrap them into electrical tape ( not the best advice, bust still will work ).

Thats how its looks inside along with the battery. To check battery good or not, just turn on device via "power" button without car cigarette lighter being attached to dashcam.
If it turns on, then you see battery status on display. Usually it shows full after some driving. If it shows 1 bar or nothing, - then you need to change battery.

20131217_154411.jpg

Last edited:
Can I make my own battery pack, such as connecting two AA or AAA batteries in parallel, or is this a lithium battery that I can buy at the local store?

Easy - it is wide therm.
Hi Niko, I'm not sure what you mean here, can you explain?

Also, what's the best way to open the case, I've never tried to do that and I'm a bit worried that if I try the wrong way first I may damage something...
Thanks,
J

Can I make my own battery pack, such as connecting two AA or AAA batteries in parallel, or is this a lithium battery that I can buy at the local store?

You need to buy this one:

Hi Niko, I'm not sure what you mean here, can you explain?

Also, what's the best way to open the case, I've never tried to do that and I'm a bit worried that if I try the wrong way first I may damage something...
Thanks,
J

sorry, not tHerm - term. ( typo mistake )

To open its easy. Something like here
But if you are not sure, better give to mobile phone repair shop.

Another use for a short-term battery is if you need to pull the unit from your car to show a cop on the scene, who is unlikely to want to sit in your car to view the footage before "declaring" fault.

Back