Battery Safety.

Lipo batteries can be quite nasty, and for sure when one of then let Loose the smoke of death it dont smell good.

I do think its common practise in RC to not leave lipos unattended while charging, and i for one store mine in the oven in my kitchen as i dont use it for cooking.

But in RC we are normally talking about large ( +3000 mah ).....

But i doubt the small batteries in dashcams is a ticking bomb,....

The Dashcams i have seen taken apart seem to have "plenty" of room inside, i think the battery in my innovv c1 and mobius could swell up without me noticing it.

The guy torching his car proberly had the battery lying on the car seat, and that is just asking for truble, i have my batteries in a stainless pot when i charge mine at home.

PPS. Me and my friend have been dealing with lipos in a RC for 4-5 years now, and so far we have only had 1 battery fail ( while charging )

I agree, dashcams are much safer, battery size is small, charging current very low. I fly 50 and 90 size helicopters on lipos with currents peaking well over 100 amps, have seen batteries swell up, even let out a little smoke, but never seen one burn. But it has happened. I have even had a cowon D3 mp3 player lipo swell up and rip the screwed case wide open, no fire. Dashcams draw less current, and less likely to burn, but good handling practices lengthen the life and reduce the chances even more. Especially with cheeply made batteries. The guy I mentioned before was charging a battery in the back of his SUV with the tail gate down, while flying on another battery. Battery was probably still hot from a previous flight.

There is a reason why some dash cams are more expensive than others, for example, high-end Korean dash cams like the Lukas LK-7900 ACE we sell. They're designed to last longer and record even when your car is parked under the sun because they run on super capacitors, instead of batteries, and can turn itself off if it does really get too hot for it to continue operating.

Although they might have similar video quality as ones that are $100.00 less in price, they are designed to work under harsher conditions and last longer.

Kelvin

Last edited by a moderator:
Back