Best action cam for low light?

better to see if someone has some original files they can share and check it yourself rather than relying on what they say

Well no mystery there. I was kinda hoping @Nigel might comment as to whether those particularly bad artifacts are present in his original video (Sidmouth Fireworks Git1).
No, the original doesn't look like that! This is Youtube from some time ago.
Might not be too easy to find the original of that video, given that it is not recent, I might have a look later.

The Git1 is actually pretty good on compression, the main issue I notice is a bit of false colour around sharp edges due to using a 2MP sensor to give 2MP video, but that is an issue in bright sunlight with high contrast so isn't going to worry you much. Sometimes blue skies will have a tiny bit of blocking due to bitrate, but again that tends to be sunny days when the image is very smooth and there is very little noise in the image.

Here we go, frame grabs from the original video...

Note the false colour in the reflected moonlight, and lack of motion blur! :
Fishing%20by%20moonlight.png

Fireworks.png

Sidmouth%20Fireworks.png

Sidmouth%20Sunset.png

You might find this is a less compressed version of the Git1 video, since it was uploaded to Youtube by Gitup (Manufacturers often get better bitrate):
(All Git1 video and audio)

Last edited:
Then you may try download sample of sj4000+ (...)
In that case I'd go with the M10+ instead of the SJ4000+: same hardware, more adaptable to the instruments due to its smaller size.

In that case I'd go with the M10+ instead of the SJ4000+: same hardware, more adaptable to the instruments due to its smaller size.
Both stopped production.

Back