Best dashcam for quality in day and night?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok so I was involved in a hit and run, where I then chased the other car. I would have got his number plate if I had a dash cam. So therefore I need a cam, that will catch number plates at high speed, incase this situation ever happens again.

So first of I have read a lot around which dash cams are good and bad. However I have never had a dashcam, so don't actually know how good the picture is from a dashcam. I have seen YouTube videos but I have heard this quality is reduced when the video is uploaded.

So here are my needs:

-main one= picture quality at speeds
-no screen.
-highly reliable. (I want to leave the cam and forget about it).
-smaller the better.
-I don't care for gps.
-I don't care for wifi.
-I don't care for g-sensor.
-would refer not buying from eBay or amazon.

Just to note I am from UK.

So the cams I thought of are:
Finevu 500, however this is hard to get hold of. I liked because it looked like it concentrated on the picture quality. But I'm not sure if I could get the same quality in a small bullet shaped cam? Or a cheaper cam.

I have also considered the roadhawk HD. I liked the idea of the image stabiliser it has, not sure how well this works.

I have heard that the Blackvue 500 blurs.

Mi witness supreme HD

Oh and I also looked at the HP F210. I thought this looked good and it was a bit smaller than the others.

Do these cams differ in quality greatly when moving fast?

The Finevu is a great choice to meet your requirements. One other option you can take a look at if you don't want a screen is the Lukas LK7900 ACE. It does have GPS, but it can be turned off. This dash cam has a flatter profile to fit better behind your rearview mirror compared to the Finevu, which might limit the movement your rearview mirror has, depending on your car. It's also all black, so its very discreet.

Kelvin

Last edited by a moderator:
So here are my needs:

-main one= picture quality at speeds
-no screen.
-highly reliable. (I want to leave the cam and forget about it).
-smaller the better.
-I don't care for gps.
-I don't care for wifi.
-I don't care for g-sensor.
-would refer not buying from eBay or amazon.

Just to note I am from UK.

The Mobius fits the above criteria nicely. Available in the UK from JooVuu & Webbex...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=25170905&postcount=2

View attachment 6011

When I read the criteria in the original post, it sounded exactly like someone describing a Mobius. I see that Russ beat me to recommending it.

Last edited:
+1 for the mobius. I had the exact same requirements as the op and this cam is excellent. I bought mine from Joovuu and the price & service can't be beaten from within the UK. Plenty of spares and accessories available too!

My 2 Finevu Pro models give very good quality....be sure to turn down the sharpening effect.

Mobius ( and many other small size dashcams ) are good for hit and run even if device can not capture numberplates, for example at night even high-end dashcam can not capture in many cases, but you can still record your voice when accident happends if yourself driving car.

Problem comes if hit and run happends when car is parked. For this scene you need a capacitir based dashcam with buffer 24/7 parking mode recording.

Back