best memory card for x2

alpaca

Reaction score
Country
United States
Is there a card that works best in these? Or are they all basically the same as long as they are class 10 or better?

I'm looking at 64gb and 128gb cards. Do any of the newer firmware updates allow you to allocate more memory to driving mode?

Thanks

For maximum long term stability the only cards I would use today in the X2 are the Lexar 633x 32GB or 64GB cards. Only 32/64 is MLC the 128GB is TLC

Are there any disadvantages to the TLC other than a shorter lifespan?
thanks

There are reported occasional system freezes and premature card failure using the entry level cheaper TLC cards. (They will flip into read only mode or you'll experience card file system corruptions after only a few months). Go with the Lexar 633x cards prices have come way down recently as well.

I use the Lexar 633 64GB cards in my X2 formatted as FAT32 with this tool:

http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index.htm?guiformat.htm

I'm running 1.02.05 and from memory have parking mode active set to 18 hours - I'd have to check the voltage cut but I'm sure it's active.

I find the X2 is much more stable for me when using those cards in FAT32 - they run cooler than some of the Samsung cards that gave me lots of issues in the past which probably helps with stability too.

For maximum long term stability the only cards I would use today in the X2 are the Lexar 633x 32GB or 64GB cards. Only 32/64 is MLC the 128GB is TLC

I've just checked my cards as i want to be sure that I am using the 'recommends' and I find that mine are indeed the Lexar 633x 32GB but I can't see that the letters MLC are shown anywhere on them. Can I assume that because they are 32GB that they are automatically MLC?

many thanks.

well just ordered 2 of the 633x 64gb

What is the best format to use them in?

my bad I completely missed that post

another thing... what's the proper way to remove the memory card? I use parking mode so if I try to remove the card I usually move the camera and it starts recording. I've been just completely unplugging the camera.

yeah when you remove power from the unit, the caps discharge and gives time for the system to shut down properly, so that is a sound recommendation.

if i need to get at the cards whilst the cam is running and i DONT want to pull power, i tap the screen, hit the cog icon and then remove.

Back