Big Lenses for the Mobius MAXI

Just did a similar shot with the K-r.
Same lens and setting but with a APS-C sensor (I know, not fair :) )
No processing, just resize from 4288x2848 to 1084x720EdgeWithKr.jpg

Never mind. did a crop and resize for the same magnification and the Maxi did quite well.
MaxiVsDSLR.jpg

Last edited:
Back again :)
Hooked up a 70-210mm Tamron Adaptall-2 to a bellows, and to the K-r and the Maxi.
MobiusMasxiMacro-1.jpg

I'll post a link, hope it works, click for full size.
28135143327_d343a8dfa1_o.jpg

If you think that's big, you should see the one taken with the K-r :)

Last edited:
You are ready to stake out the entrance to a ant nest

It's bug in fridge time :)
I couldn't stop down with the Maxi. With the K-r I could go down to f/16 (not 1.6 :) )
Need more light.

No problem here, i just bounce 100.000 flashlight Lumens of my white sealing and everything are alright.

Last time I used the flashlights in the house I melted stuff.
BiggerLight-2.jpg

BiggerLight.jpg

ok, those are the tools for road rage; blind'em with the torch and beat the crap with the baseball bat....and then show the video taken by the dashcam to friends...

I am not bringing out my stick unless the other part do so first

Cant have a bat as thats illegal, but a pice of wood same size are fine.
So if any cops ask me why the bat sized pice of wood, i go thats my lucky log,,,, and there are nothing they can do about that,,,,,,,, but of course if the law giving assembly get wind of this logs will be banned too.

I am not bringing out my stick unless the other part do so first

Cant have a bat as thats illegal, but a piece of wood same size are fine.
So if any cops ask me why the bat sized piece of wood, i go thats my lucky log,,,, and there are nothing they can do about that,,,,,,,, but of course if the law giving assembly get wind of this logs will be banned too.

At that time you could carry a short piece of framing lumber. No country will ever outlaw lumber needed for construction purposes.

Dont be too sure when it come to this little country, i can give several examples where some one have misused something, and instead of punishing the offender ( properly at least ) then emergency panic laws have been passed ruining something for a lot of people.

Latest must be the airgun law, so what happened was sone kids was shooting at people with a .22 PCP air rifle, and so all riffles but .177 was banned.
What should have been done was strengthening the laws regarding shooting at people ( i do think you can kill a person with a .22 PCP air-riffle, my now illegal .22 have 45 J - 34 ft/lbs of hitting power )
Anyway the book should have been dropped on those punk kids, and not the rest of air-gunners in the country.

I bought the cheapest ebay adapter I could find.
It did not have an aperture ring like the one you linked to.
It was also only $14
The C to M12 adapter was about $6, also from ebay.
I don't know all the variations in Nikon mounts.
A Nikon to C with a tripod mount would be nice but cost more.
The cheap one works with these lenses, even the AF one.
You need manual aperture or you only shoot wide open.
You might also want a set of the cheap extension rings for close focus/Macro (check ebay).
I have adapters from Nikon to C, Pentax K to C, M42 to C, and extension rings for those.
The Maxi plastic case may need a little trimming for the C to M12 adapter flange.

Don't go crazy on expensive accessories for a 4MP action cam.

YOU WILL ALSO HAVE TO CONSIDER IR as your 35mm Nikon lenses probably DO NOT have an IR filter.

Attachments

• Nikon-to-M12.jpg
    Nikon-to-M12.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
50mm :)
  1. Crop factor does NOT affect a lens’s focal length.
  2. Crop factor does NOT affect a lens’s aperture.

The effective focal length, compared to full frame 35mm is 50 X the crop factor.
A 1/2.7" sensor has a crop factor of 6.8
A 1/3" sensor has a crop factor of about 7.2

A good sharp 50mm would be a good choice.

Last edited:
50mm :)
  1. Crop factor does NOT affect a lens’s focal length.
  2. Crop factor does NOT affect a lens’s aperture.

The effective focal length, compared to full frame 35mm is 50 X the crop factor.
A 1/2.7" sensor has a crop factor of 6.8
A 1/3" sensor has a crop factor of about 7.2

A good sharp 50mm would be a good choice.
50mm on Mobius 1/3" sensor equates to 360mm effective focal length:
1530866916570.png
https://digified.net/focallength/

I tried my Canon EF 100mm macro with a Mobius 1 and was able to achieve a good sharp image. Since I can't stop down it was fully open at F2.8, so the DOF was very small.

It was an interesting experiment, and I may try again with a Maxi. With a suitable lens I'd like to try photo or video of the moon :astronaut:

Shop around 2nd hand stores or ebay for an older manual aperture lens.
The maxi is more camera than a lot of 'telescope' cameras.
You might even consider a small telescope and adapter.

Shop around 2nd hand stores or ebay for an older manual aperture lens.
The maxi is more camera than a lot of 'telescope' cameras.
You might even consider a small telescope and adapter.
Thanks for the suggestion. I already have a wide range of Canon lenses so I decided to try those first.

Did you hold the lens or use an adapter?

Depth of field won't be a concern for lunar shots :)
Hopefully the Mobius (1 or the Maxi) has enough exposure range to capture the direct sunlit moon.
Image Quality using long lenses on a small sensor camera is limited by shutter speed vs vibration frequency/movement,
optical resolution (magnification) and aperture (diffraction).
A good solid mount, good lens, and an exposure that doesn't cause loss of resolution is tough with small pixels.

In normal photography we think of using a smaller aperture as a way to control exposure levels. In astro-photography a smaller aperture can induce diffraction and loss of resolution.
With 1/3" 4mb sensors and 35mm lenses f/4 to f/8 and 300mm seem to be the upper limit before IQ starts to suffer.

Last edited:
Back