B20RRL

Retailer
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Multiple :)
Hey guys!

So was doing some research yesterday and wanted to get to the DCT site so just quickly whipped DashCamTalk into Google and noticed a YouTube video titled DashCamTalk. Out of curiosity I watched it (Thinking it was created for this website)

Now this is mainly for DashCamMan's benefit but any idea on who this chum is or what the purpose of the video is about? I 100% believe that transparency is key! My first thoughts are this guy is an owner of another forum who has beef with DCT but if what he says is incorrect then it maybe wise to get the video reported?

It's ranked pretty high in Google at the moment!

PS - Did think I was writing this in General Discussion and not General Dash Cam Discussion. Apologies for it being in the wrong area!

hadn't seen this video before but had seen the accusations before, the poor English in the subtitles makes me wonder, someone upset that they have no support on the site perhaps

anyway it's not a secret, if they visit http://dashcamtalk.com/about/ it's in black and white that the links are affiliate links to help with the site running costs, hosting, time required etc are not free services

Of course... I agree!
Forums and websites are costly things to run so every little bit helps. I think sometimes people forget about this.
The About page is there and clearly shows why ads and links are used and in my eyes this makes everything transparent!

It just comes across as someone with a grudge the way I see it
I agree, it seems like a seller who isn't being represented well here. The english is a good indication and terms like western way of business.
DashCamMan disclosed it and I'm sure most members would be happy to now use those links to support the site. What a simple easy way to help keep it running and know which sellers are reputable.

Seems like someone is not happy with this site. They are entitled to their opinion and there is not much I can do about that. Affiliate links and ads help pay for the site. The other funding options are:

1) Sponsors - unfortunately, most sites I visit with sponsors are very biased towards the sponsors. Some even edit / delete posts when a non-sponsor is mentioned or linked. I have decided to make the site sponsor free.
2) Memberships - There could be a premium membership, but fundamentally I think information should be freely available to everyone. Depending on what a premium membership entails, it could work but for now everyone has access to the same information
3) Selling products - I have a full time job and wouldn't have time to manage the logistics of selling products.
4) Donations - Would only consider if the links and ads did not cover the costs of running the site.

As for being unbiased, I am the first to admit that the dash cam comparison table sometimes lags the discussion in the forum. But if someone points out a big gap or glaring omission, I will edit quickly. I often times cringe when I read dash cam reviews from other sites. They usually rave about the positives and ignore or gloss over the negatives. That wouldn't work here because people will complain loudly about the problems they experience on the forum (see the Mini-0801 and the Lukas LK-7900).

Another question is why am I anonymous. I have a full time job where I interact with clients. When they Google my name, I need them to find my professional profile not my DashCamTalk hobby. Perhaps in the future I will use my real name but at this point in my career it is not appropriate.

I had actually seen that video a few months ago. I really did not think much of it because at one point when you Googled DashCamTalk it was like the third thing to come up so i had figured you were aware of it DashCamMan if i had known you were not aware of it i would have mentioned it.

Secondly as jokiin has pointed out anyone who watches it and happens to have any doubt can easily come here and see not only the About Site page, but the board where just about anyone and everyone personal and business can sell and promote their DashCam in their own section. There were vendors who kind of tried to pull one over that are here in some threads, and everyone can see and read about them and the members who have responded and talked about it, but other vendors seem great to do business with.

A site that had something to gain from one person over another would make stuff like that vanish.

Last edited by a moderator:
Haters gotta hate, and lucky for him that in our Western society he has the god given right to be a 1st class knob.

Keep up the good work @DashCamMan

Cheers :) Mario

Glad to know clicking the links from the site to buy from ebay supports the site; I'll try and do that next time if the link exists to what I want

Back