Blackvue DR500GW vs Cowon AW1?

Frankzzz

Reaction score
Country
United States
More expensive cameras, yes, but I like that the style makes them more discrete and easier to mount discretely.
I like the gps, no screen, and I especially like the wifi.
Is there any other dash cam that fits all those categories?
I see the Blackvue has lower video quality due to low bit rate, but I also see that a custom firmware fixes that. Any other problems with it?
Anyone have the Cowon? How is it?
Any other pros and cons for either of these 2?

More expensive cameras, yes, but I like that the style makes them more discrete and easier to mount discretely.
I like the gps, no screen, and I especially like the wifi.
Is there any other dash cam that fits all those categories?
I see the Blackvue has lower video quality due to low bit rate, but I also see that a custom firmware fixes that. Any other problems with it?
Anyone have the Cowon? How is it?
Any other pros and cons for either of these 2?

With factory FW they both has same bit-rate, but only now ( over half year ) russian hackers were able to crack the code of Blackvue, however it's not yet know how higher bit-rate will affect overall performance of Blackvue ( overheating, error, freezing, etc ? ). TI (texas instument ) CPU has some limitations. So, just wait few month until russian users will test this new custom firmware and report about it performance.

I have Cowon AW1, I am a little bit impressed with it to be honest, really like it. They managed to tune up FW to perform OV2710 CMOS as good as Sony Exmor ( at night ).
With stock FW it has 7.5mbps bit-rate and records quite well for that bit-rate, however 10-12mbps would be much better and exactly that bit-rate ( 12mbps ) is optimal for TI CPU. 15 or 18mbps would be too much I guess.
I have proposed to Cowon team to rise bit-rate. Hope they going to listen to me.

Last edited:
Are you going to do a review of the AW1? I don't see one, if anybody already has.
I see your side by side comparisons with it, but using v2.6.0 FW. I see on cowonglobal.com FW v2.9.0, 6 March, maybe that will help?
I also see someone elses side by side comparisons with AW1 and Blackvue DR500GW and some other camera. AW1 looks sharper and much better at night than DR500, but color is not very bright, it's very faded looking. Both of those videos are from August, so I see several new FW updates since then, maybe that will help.

I wish it was all black, and no shiny lens ring.
Do you really need that "uninterruptible power cable" I see sold separately? Use that and then do not need something like a Power Magic?
I wish GPS was builtin and not a separate cable to buy and sticking out the side.
Is the 32gb memory card that comes with it any good? or would it be better to buy the 16gb version and buy a better 32gb card separate?

Thanks

Back