Blackvue DR650GW-2CH restarts all the time. SD-card?

sn0le

Reaction score
Country
Norway
Hi.

I am brand new to this forum, and please forgive me if I should have posted a reply to a similar post rather than creating my own.

I've had my 650-2CH since april 2014 and its worked like a charm.
It came with an original 32GB Micro-SD card.
This summer I decided to upgrade to 128GB.
I bought a Sandisk microSDXC Ultra card that I've seen my local BV-dealer sells to his customers.
This worked for a few weeks an then my cam started to restart repeatedly whilst I was driving.
At the time I was running legacy firmware (1.009)
I tried upgrading to firmware 1.011, but that didn't help.
So I upgraded to 2.007 to see if the legacy firmware didn't like the 128GB card.
But the problem remained.
I suspected the SD-card might be defective, so I ordered a new card.
This time I only bought a 64GB card. Sandisk microSDXC Ultra 64GB.
It worked for a short while but then it started giving me the same problem.

So, after reading in this forum a bit I see that people generally don't recommend these Sandisk cards.
I have seen some people post that the "Extreme" version of Sandisk micro-SD cards might work just fine.
Is there other cards that should work better than the Sandisk cards?

I see that my dealer has a few choices:
Kingston 64GB
Transcend 64GB
Samsung EVO 64GB
Samsung EVO+ 64GB
Sandisk Extreme 64GBhttps://www.komplett.no/product/844555/mobil/minnekort/micro-sd/samsung-microsd-kort-evo-64gb
Kingston 64GB U3
Samsung microSD Pro 64GB
Kingston 64GB U3 Action card
Kingston 64GB Industrial Temperature

Are any of these OK? I assume the more expensive cards with higher read/write speeds are better?

Thanks for your time.

Stein Ole

You need a High Endurance Card. Search here. I started a whole thread on it.

I could only find 2 threads started by you, and they were about could setup. :/

I searched a lot when I first got all my cameras

Delkin 128gb 375x was highly recommended, and I've had no issues with multiple cameras over the past few years

Delkin recently released a newer 128gb 1900x card that I'm going to try

A little update. I've retried the Sandisk cards, formatted them on my Mac, on my PC and in the dashcam.
No difference.
Since the card that MarcWinNJ recommended wasn't available at any stores where I live, I bought the Kingston Class10 U3 (90MB/s and 80MB/s) card.
It's still too early to conclude but it seems promising. I'll put up another update in a few days when the card has had more time to fail. :)

Lexar 64GB High Performance Micro SDXC UHS-I U1 Card 300x - 45MB/s -No good
MyMemory 64GB Micro SDXC Card Class 10 UHS-I U1 with Adapter - 90MB/s -No good
Kingston 64GB Micro SDXC Card 90 MB/s UHS-I U3 (Without Adapter) - Class 10 -Good

I have been using the Kingston card for 1,5 years now, with no problems.
The Lexar card worked fine for nearly one year, then the camera wouldn't recognize it.
The MyMemory card lasted only a few months before starting to behave oddly, with several stops/startups.

Signed up here to maybe provide some assistance. I had this very same issue and it ended up being firmware related. Have you tried flashing to a different firmware version? (I would stay away from 1.5 if you aren't on a newer version already)

@Nigloo: I appreciate that you signed up to provide assistance. It seems to be related to the type of card I have. I have tested some more and will post an update about it. :)

Posted more in the other restarting constantly thread, but in a nutshell now having this issue right after moving to 2.007 on the same card/camera that were rock solid for almost 2 years prior

I believe the bitrate in 2.007 is much higher than in previous firmwares. So I would guess its your card that is the problem. It simply can't keep up with the higher dataflow.
I've tried my new card now for a while and have had none problems whatsoever.

I believe the bitrate in 2.007 is much higher than in previous firmwares. So I would guess its your card that is the problem. It simply can't keep up with the higher dataflow.
I've tried my new card now for a while and have had none problems whatsoever.

If that's the price for better footage, I'll take it

Will swap out the Delkin 375x for the 1900x (newest card) to see what happens

They've upped the bitrate to 10Mbit in 2.005 (I thought it was 2.007).
And it is higher than the 8Mbit that was maximum for v1.x firmware.
One could turn down quality, but I'd rather have better video and spend a few $$ on a micro SD-card. :)

Attachments

• Screen shot 2016-10-18 at 02.42.25 .png
    Screen shot 2016-10-18 at 02.42.25 .png
    147 KB · Views: 10
The new card did the trick, went from Delkin 375x to 1900x and no more restarts at the highest quality seeing on 2.007

Same for me, been testing a couple months now and it was definitely the card. Sorry about necroing this post.

No problem. I guess more people will have the same issue. So it's probably a good thing that this post is bumped from time to time.

Well, swapped my card as well, and which seems to have much reduced but not entirely solved the issue. Like others I seem to have experienced this following the 2.007 update.

Well, swapped my card as well, and which seems to have much reduced but not entirely solved the issue. Like others I seem to have experienced this following the 2.007 update.

What card are you using and which image quality did you choose? Even the default image quality has a higher bitrate than the older V2.004 and lower firmwares so it's more demand on the card making a higher quality card more important. If you drop the quality to the lowest setting and the issue goes away, that would most likely tell you that the card is the problem.

Back