So I finally decided to see if I could fix this or if I just needed to buy a new camera, and when I went to the Russian website, low and behold they have released a new recovery version v2. I loaded it just like V1 (following the instructions on the russian website) and used v13 of the english firmware (the latest is v15, but I didn't have it downloaded at the time). This worked perfectly! No need to change the language or anything as soon as I popped in a new microsd card it formatted with all the prompts in english. I then updated the firmware to the latest by loading the update on the microsd from my computer. I'm very happy. Well worth the $10 donation to the russian website to get this fixed. Now everything works perfectly 1 year after messing it up in the first place. Lets just say I will not be updating the firmware over the air from my iphone again.