Blackvue DR900S vs Viofo A129 Pro

Nath

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Dash Cam
Triple Viofo A139-3CH, Dual A129Pro-2CH, Blackvue DR900S-2CH
Hi,

so i've got my Viofo A129-Pro few hours ago and i had to test it! (gallery) Thanks again @viofo !
I know it's not ideal but because now we're here in a middle of a night, i come up with an idea to just try dark performance in default settings (with CPL, exposure +0.0, WDR off, fw v1.0) against my DR900S (CPL, HDR/no-HDR, brightness 5, fw v1.012). Btw: Don't mind the time-stamp, i screwed up a time-zone and it's shifted about 7 seconds between each other. :)

I'll definitely ad some other footage soon!

Low beams:
B4CKL0t.jpg
0extA6u.jpg
pvfWf5S.png

High beams:
TF8QzTm.jpg
HP2mbnJ.jpg

No beams:
uXSmBTH.jpg
me5MYX7.jpg
UOi23c5.png

I've been waiting for a comparison to the DR900S. Looking forward to seeing how it goes.

Try to get the horizon the same, so the metering is comparable.

Last edited:
Try to get the horizon the same, so the metering is comparable.
Yep, i've tried but unfortunately A129-Pro doesn't have such fine steps as the DR900S in mount. And I was tired enough to not realize that instead of to adjust the A129-Pro, i can adjust DR900S to A129's level! :ROFLMAO:

So I'll definitely fix that.

Too bad the A129 has such masive cables/connectors. In order to have dashcams side-by-side (DR900S's lens is in the center) the connectors of the A129 interfere with center rearview mirror trim, so it's a little bit more on a side of the car.

Last edited:
Yep, i've tried but unfortunately A129-Pro doesn't have such fine steps as the DR900S in mount. And I was tired enough to not realize that instead of to adjust the A129-Pro, i can adjust DR900S to A129's level! :ROFLMAO:

So I'll definitely fix that.
You can usually wiggle the A129 up/down between the steps

Hi,

so i've got my Viofo A129-Pro few hours ago and i had to test it! (gallery) Thanks again @viofo !
I know it's not ideal but because now we're here in a middle of a night, i come up with an idea to just try dark performance in default settings (with CPL, exposure +0.0, WDR off, fw v1.0) against my DR900S (CPL, HDR/no-HDR, brightness 5, fw v1.012). Btw: Don't mind the time-stamp, i screwed up a time-zone and it's shifted about 7 seconds between each other. :)

I'll definitely ad some other footage soon!

Low beams:
B4CKL0t.jpg
0extA6u.jpg
pvfWf5S.png

High beams:
TF8QzTm.jpg
HP2mbnJ.jpg

No beams:
uXSmBTH.jpg
me5MYX7.jpg
UOi23c5.png
So far, I like the results

Here we have some randomly picked. (still before adjustment of the horizon :), next time it'll be fixed, unfortunately i don't have much time during these days)

A129-Pro: CPL, exposure +0.0, WDR on, h265 (52.4Mbps)
DR900S: CPL, brightness 5, HDR on, h265 (25.9Mbps)

O6AaHSJ.jpg
NZAdirk.jpg

BOVCS0c.jpg
BnGfHVv.jpg

IctewVT.jpg
mhxMDyL.jpg

Last edited:
Here we have some randomly picked. (still before adjustment of the horizon :), next time it'll be fixed, unfortunately i don't have much time during these days)

A129-Pro: CPL, exposure +0.0, WDR on, h265 (52.4Mbps)
DR900S: CPL, brightness 5, HDR on, h265 (25.9Mbps)

O6AaHSJ.jpg
NZAdirk.jpg

BOVCS0c.jpg
BnGfHVv.jpg

IctewVT.jpg
mhxMDyL.jpg
there is definitely more detail on all scenarios with the viofo, however, the blackvue seems to have a wider angle lens. I also notice a slight fish eye effect on the blackvue due to that wav.

there is definitely more detail on all scenarios with the viofo, however, the blackvue seems to have a wider angle lens. I also notice a slight fish eye effect on the blackvue due to that wav.
The extra fisheye on the Blackvue is partly because the horizon is not at 50% height, get it at 50% and it won't be so noticable.

Although the wider angle of the Blackvue may seem like a good idea, and 180 degrees might seem an even better idea, you do lose a lot of detail in return for very little information. I've always thought the A129 Duo had the compromise about right, and the A129 Pro is a little wider than that. If you really want to be able to see sideways then the good solution is to install side cameras, 1080 resolution to match the rear camera is fine for those, and a little over 90 degrees horizontal field of view means that everything is covered by 4 cameras (Front + Rear + Left + Right, 4 x 90 = 360).

There's not a great difference between them, but the narrower field of view and higher bitrate of the A129 Pro might be just enough to make the difference when reading number plates, especially in the US. On the other hand, I know many users would rather have the wider angle of the Blackvue. Not everyone wants side cameras.

The extra fisheye on the Blackvue is partly because the horizon is not at 50% height, get it at 50% and it won't be so noticable.

Although the wider angle of the Blackvue may seem like a good idea, and 180 degrees might seem an even better idea, you do lose a lot of detail in return for very little information. I've always thought the A129 Duo had the compromise about right, and the A129 Pro is a little wider than that. If you really want to be able to see sideways then the good solution is to install side cameras, 1080 resolution to match the rear camera is fine for those, and a little over 90 degrees horizontal field of view means that everything is covered by 4 cameras (Front + Rear + Left + Right, 4 x 90 = 360).
I agree with you, I personally don’t like the fish eye effect and I like the A129 pro much better. I’m already been thinking about adding side cameras on my vehicle if I get the A129 Duo Pro. I currently have two A119S and they should be perfect for the sides.

Back