Blackvue firmware and SD card issues

Steyr

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ok, just received my blackvue 650 2 channel from blackboxcar with the cellink battery b 2.0 Gen.

Everything has been installed, however I am still encountering quite a few issues.

#1 - I replaced the standard 16 GB SDcard with a 64 GB Samsung EVO SD and for some reason the blackvue won't accept it. Anything I am missing?
#2 - When trying to upgrade my firmware (For 2.002 - I keep reading people upgrading to 1.009 which btw. was pre-installed already, what's up with that? Is 2.002 the latest?) it always fails at around the 36% to 38% mark
#3 - Wifi goes in and out when connected via phone (LG G3 Android).
#4 - Phone keeps asking me to re-enter password for wifi connection every now and then. (No big deal, but definitely annoying).

If someone has any ideas, pwease help.

Thanks

they're a bit fussy with cards, not sure the Samsung is a good choice

1.009 is higher bitrate than 2.002 so lots of people roll back to that for better video quality, you lose cloud functionality though

WiFi no idea, maybe better to ask Alex @BlackboxMyCar he'd be more familiar

Ok, just received my blackvue 650 2 channel from blackboxcar with the cellink battery b 2.0 Gen.

Everything has been installed, however I am still encountering quite a few issues.

#1 - I replaced the standard 16 GB SDcard with a 64 GB Samsung EVO SD and for some reason the blackvue won't accept it. Anything I am missing?
#2 - When trying to upgrade my firmware (For 2.002 - I keep reading people upgrading to 1.009 which btw. was pre-installed already, what's up with that? Is 2.002 the latest?) it always fails at around the 36% to 38% mark
#4 - Phone keeps asking me to re-enter password for wifi connection every now and then. (No big deal, but definitely annoying).

Thanks
Hi Steyr. Why did you replace the SD card? Format the Blackvue card, put it back in and try it for a week and see how it works - then play about with different cards. Samsung cards got a very poor review. The better 64GB cards appear to be - 4. Lexar 300X, 3. Transcend 300X, 2. Sandisk Endurance and 1. Delkin375X. The read/write speeds on the cards appear to be the important issues. I think the Blackvue cameras like the read/write speeds to be around the 20-25 levels.

I'm still using the original 16GB Blackvue card after 1 Year - formatting every week.

Regards

John

What do you mean "won't accept it"? What is the error message, do you hear an audible "Check the SD card" or something like that? I've found with larger capacity cards the only way to format is in the Blackvue unit, i.e. you can't format on your computer and expect it to work. Format it by putting it in and while you have power hold the wifi button down until you get some chirps and it will format the card.

Hi @Steyr if you're getting the check your SD card issue with the 64GB you can format it in the camera by holding down the WiFi button until you hear the beep as @Tedpro suggested and it should fix it.
You can also use the Blackvue desktop viewer (for Windows) and format it in that program using this button here (I know it's not that obvious)
Ofe6otQ.jpg

Hope this helps

Also I've been using the Samsung EVO 128GB for the past 3 months and it seems to be working out well.

Last edited:

Thanks

Re 1. As suggested, try using the viewer to reformat. If this doesn't work, you might try this: https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/

Re 2. First question would be, why are you looking to upgrade from 1.009 to 2.002? Unless you are looking to use cloud functionality, it's better to stick with 1.009, since (a) 2.002 has lower quality recordings and (b) a wifi app that lacks certain (useful) features on the 1.009. See this thread - and note, also, the limitations of the BV's cloud functionality: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/blackvue-cloud-confusion.16496/page-2#post-218246

Assuming you're still going ahead, then when you say it always fails at around the 36% to 38% mark, I'm guessing you mean the transfer of the upgrade folder contents to the Blackvue folder on your card. If so, this is an information transfer problem that can happen with certain cards and certain adaptors, for various reasons. A common reason is the card adaptor. Are you using the blackvue adaptor? If so, have you another adaptor that you can try?

Re 3. Sorry, can't help. Works perfectly with my IPhone 5s. As a start, perhaps borrow a mate's phone to confirm that the issue lies with the Samsung?

Re 4. I get this now and then. I find that if you wait 5-10 secs after your phone has picked up a list of SSIDs, before choosing the DR650, then you don't get asked.

@Steyr just wanted to add to my previous post:
#2 If the firmware upgrade is failing OTA I would highly recommend doing it through Blackvue's website. OTA updates seem to be very unreliable and I always recommend going with the memory card/web download method
#3 For WiFi can you make sure to check in the advanced settings on your phone that nothing like Samsung's smart network switch is turned on? These features on Android will kick you off wifi because there's no real internet connection and is essentially useless in the phone's mind
#4 When you hear "WiFi on" wait about 30 seconds to connect to the camera and it should connect without having to reenter the password

Back