danlat1415

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
BlackVue DR970X Plus - 2ch with B-130X battery hardwired
Just had this through from BlackVue;

ATTENTION UK USERS OF VODAFONE 4G V-SIM/SMART SERVICE

As a BlackVue UK customer and active subscriber to Vodafone’s V-SIM/Smart SIM product, Vodafone should have already contacted you directly to inform you that your current 4G SIM service is due to be discontinued from the 1st of August 2024.

Unfortunately Vodafone have made the decision to close their ’Smart Tech’ division at very short notice, and the low-cost V-SIM & Smart SIM data plans that were part of the programme are regrettably a direct casualty of this decision.

That said, as a BlackVue Cloud and LTE device user it is a simple process to arrange and subscribe to a replacement 4G Data SIM service. Vodafone themselves offer a number of 4G SIM card packages with only a rolling 30 day obligation.

To get you back up and running before the 1st of August deadline and with the minimum of disruption, BlackVue UK recommends Vodafone’s 8GB monthly Data Plan - currently topped-up to 15GB per month for subscriptions arranged before the 25th of June 2024.

For context, the average BlackVue user will use less than 1GB of data per month, meaning this plan offers more than enough bandwidth for even the most data hungry user.

To request a replacement 4G SIM card and to choose a new data plan from Vodafone, please click the link below. SIM cards are normally delivered within 1-2 working days.

PLEASE NOTE: All the major UK mobile networks (EE, O2 and Three) offer similar 4G data SIM products if you’d prefer not to continue using Vodafone. Any 4G data SIM from a reputable network will be compatible with your BlackVue LTE equipped dashcam.

We hope that this information has been useful and apologise for any inconvenience this change in service may have caused.If you have further questions, please contact BlackVue UK here;

Great. Gone from having to pay €4.99 per month to €25 just for data with Vodafone here in Ireland!!

Same here.
£4/month for 40GB with Vodafone V-SIM, and their cheapest available is 15GB for £10/month.
Clearly no comparison.

Personally, I'm holding out until it disconnects itself in August. No need to change to a more expensive plan before then.
Then in August, I'm going to check out the cheapest SIM only deal that's best for me (not just Vodafone) for a comparison site such as U-Switch;

Same here.
£4/month for 40GB with Vodafone V-SIM, and their cheapest available is 15GB for £10/month.
Clearly no comparison.

Personally, I'm holding out until it disconnects itself in August. No need to change to a more expensive plan before then.
Then in August, I'm going to check out the cheapest SIM only deal that's best for me (not just Vodafone) for a comparison site such as U-Switch;
Also, remember we are paying Blackvue for cloud storage too!!!

Is there a way to know how much data my dahscan is using?
Not on the Vodafone V-Sim.
It doesn't give you any options on their website login or the Smart app - very limited, only shows basic T&C's, previous invoices etc - but not data usage.

I tried to check because my kids use the WiFi when on long journeys

Thanks @danlat1415 for the info, perfectly timed as I am about to install the CM100LTE and Blackvue dash cam.
For those looking for Sim cards, I do recommend Lebara, always find their reception brilliant (also users Vodafone network), plus it provides roaming to most EU countries.

Quite a lot of cheap deals on hotukdeals.com if you do a search there.

Thanks op for the heads up

I don't know if ANY SIM card can be used, or if it specifically has to be a data only SIM.

Someone else may be able to confirm.
I want to know this, because I took will be looking for an alternative

I don't know if ANY SIM card can be used, or if it specifically has to be a data only SIM.

Someone else may be able to confirm.
I want to know this, because I took will be looking for an alternative
I can probably let you know tonight as I'll be setting my dash cam up with a spare sim I have.

@danlat1415 , just set the lte and dash cam up for the first time, I can confirm that the Lebara (Vodafone) sim works a treat.
During Active Sim step, you just need to search for Vodafone for United Kingdom, it will set all your APN details, once activated, I went into the Blackvue app, selected Cloud and did a Live View and can see both the front and back cameras without problems. Hope that helps.

Just need to work out how to set it up as a WiFi hotspot now

Cool, thanks for confirming that a generic SIM works fine, and that it doesn't have to be a specific DATA only SIM.
That opens things up to be able to shop around better.

All you do is connect your devices to the dashcam's SSID and password.

You can amend the dashcam's WiFi name and password in the settings.

Then any device connected to it uses the internet connection.

All you do is connect your devices to the dashcam's SSID and password.

You can amend the dashcam's WiFi name and password in the settings.

Then any device connected to it uses the internet connection.
Awesome, and thanks. That has worked a treat, will plug all these in the car now I know it's all working.

Older devices may not see the dashcam's WiFi. If you come across that, just change the dashcam WiFi from 5ghz to 2.4ghz in the dashcam settings.

Depending on your data usage, it may be an idea to look for a company that does data rollover (any unused data allowance rolls over to the next month)

This one is £7/month with ID Mobile for 25GB with any unused data rolling over to the next month, so if you don't use it much, but occasionally need a high amount, this will quickly build up to 50GB each month. (Uses Three Network)

I got the lebara sim, I can’t seem to get it activated, apn but says check settings, can anyone help ?

I got the lebara sim, I can’t seem to get it activated, apn but says check settings, can anyone help ?
The person above with Lebara SIM said to use the Vodafone UK APN details that are already pre-loaded in the search, as Lebara uses the Vodafone network?

Try these;
APN: **REMOVED AS DOESN'T WORK**
(See below posts for correct details)

Last edited:
Back