Blackvue vs Viofo

mentadent

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
VIOFO A139, VIOFO A139 Pro, VIOFO A119 Mini 2, VIOFO A229...
Is Blackvue better than Viofo?

Depends on what you’re comparing. I prefer Blackvue’s voice notifications, motion/impact detection in parking mode, and obviously cloud features. Viofo’s video quality and pace of updates is way better. Viofo has had lens issues in the past, but quickly remedies them, while Blackvue has lens issues that can carry on for generations of dashcams. I feel like Viofo is pushing the envelope more with sensors and video quality while Blackvue is falling behind while hoping the cloud features are importantly enough for people.

Blackvue is falling behind while hoping the cloud features are importantly enough
I spoke with @rcg530 on the actual telephone yesterday, (I hate talking on the phone) for the first time since our 4 person “zoom meeting” and we are both looking forward to the upcoming cloud enabled dash cams from Vantrue & 70mai.
Hopefully this will be a reason for BlackVue to make some improvements.
I wonder how many long time BlackVue customers will jump ship, and try out a new cloud unit from Vantrue & 70mai?

Attachments

• 1-900-HOT-CHAT .jpg
    1-900-HOT-CHAT .jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 5
while hoping the cloud features are importantly enough for people.
They are important enough for some people, but most people just stick the dashcam behind the mirror and forget about it until they need a recording, so I assume that most people have no interest in 4G connected dashcams...

Depends on what you’re comparing. I prefer Blackvue’s voice notifications, motion/impact detection in parking mode, and obviously cloud features. Viofo’s video quality and pace of updates is way better. Viofo has had lens issues in the past, but quickly remedies them, while Blackvue has lens issues that can carry on for generations of dashcams. I feel like Viofo is pushing the envelope more with sensors and video quality while Blackvue is falling behind while hoping the cloud features are importantly enough for people.
I feel the second Viofo get into cloud cameras, and do so just half decent and keep the focus on Image quality, Blackvue will be in trouble

...so I assume that most people have no interest in 4G connected dashcams...
+1. Cloud connectivity - be it 3G, 4G, 5G or some future 11G - has no interest or value to me. It's a show-stopper regarding whether or not to purchase a given camera as I will not pay for something I don't want or need.

Last edited:
I spoke with @rcg530 on the actual telephone yesterday, (I hate talking on the phone) for the first time since our 4 person “zoom meeting” and we are both looking forward to the upcoming cloud enabled dash cams from Vantrue & 70mai.
Hopefully this will be a reason for BlackVue to make some improvements.
I wonder how many long time BlackVue customers will jump ship, and try out a new cloud unit from Vantrue & 70mai?
2 hours. Bordering on phone sex line levels LOL

I feel the second Viofo get into cloud cameras, and do so just half decent and keep the focus on Image quality, Blackvue will be in trouble

Viofo video From the A229 Pro is 4K, 60Mbps.
Blackvue cloud video, according to their website, is currently HD720 resolution, 1Mbps:

Blackvue website said:

Remote Live View (Real time Cloud streaming)

Format (Resolution)HD (1280×720)
Bitrate1Mbps (Megabit per second)
1 minute7.5MB (Megabytes)
1 hour450MB (Megabytes)
24 hours10.8GB (Gigabytes)

So Viofo video, has 9x the pixels and 60x the bitrate.

How could you describe cloud video as "half decent", when it contains only 1/60th of the information?
When it is compressed that much, is it even useful?
You are not going to read many plates with that level of detail.

There are some people who consider it almost essential to have live video streaming and event upload to the cloud, but we don't see many clips posted from cloud video... or maybe we do, but it is so good that we don't notice? :unsure:

2 hours. Bordering on phone sex line levels LOL
When I was a kid we only had one telephone in the house, and we were not allowed to make long-distance phone calls out of our Area Code.
976, or 900 numbers were out of the question.
It was in the kitchen.
It was a rotary dial.
I remember calling POP-CORN (767-2676) to get the time because it was a free call.
You probably have no idea what I’m talking about. Lol
And I’m not even that old, (Gen X) I bet other members here could only connect to the operator, and had to ask the operator to put them through to the receiving party.

Apologies to OP for going off topic.

Viofo video From the A229 Pro is 4K, 60Mbps.
Blackvue cloud video, according to their website, is currently HD720 resolution, 1Mbps:

So Viofo video, has 9x the pixels and 60x the bitrate.

How could you describe cloud video as "half decent", when it contains only 1/60th of the information?
When it is compressed that much, is it even useful?
You are not going to read many plates with that level of detail.

There are some people who consider it almost essential to have live video streaming and event upload to the cloud, but we don't see many clips posted from cloud video... or maybe we do, but it is so good that we don't notice? :unsure:
That’s the livestream video which is intentionally compressed to prioritize getting the video out quickly and smoothly, including when your car is in an area with poor cell service.

If you want to download and save the video from the camera via the cloud, you have options to choose if you want a lower quality version to play back faster or if you prefer the original video.

IMG_3328.png
As for using the livestream video to grab plates, lol I’m sorry but what? That’s not what it’s for. If you want full quality video, just grab it as needed. I use the livestream footage to do things like remember where I parked using the map, make sure no one broke into my car while I parked, to see what’s going on when a mechanic is working on the car or if they’ve even started while I’m waiting, to check on loved ones if they took the car and make sure they’re safe and haven’t gotten in a crash or something, etc.

Look, Blackvue has their fair share of issues when it comes to video quality, their cloud privacy and security over the years, and so forth, but could we at the very least take the time to understand the basics of how their features work, especially if we’re going to criticize them?

Last edited:
... but could we at the very least take the time to understand the basics of how their features work, especially if we’re going to criticize them?
+1 (and 2, 3, 4, ......)

When I was a kid we only had one telephone in the house, and we were not allowed to make long-distance phone calls out of our Area Code.
976, or 900 numbers were out of the question.
It was in the kitchen.
It was a rotary dial.
I remember calling POP-CORN (767-2676) to get the time because it was a free call.
You probably have no idea what I’m talking about. Lol
And I’m not even that old, (Gen X) I bet other members here could only connect to the operator, and had to ask the operator to put them through to the receiving party.

Apologies to OP for going off topic.
Haha I'm smack bang in Millennials. We had a rotary phone too right when I was just old enough to remember my days, and the old ring-the-phone-number that would say the current time and date. Used it to synchronise my crappy Casio calculator watch haha. Wasn't as bad as having to ring the operator to connect the call but I got a fair idea of what you're on about old man, getting older myself :(

Cloud connectivity could be done with the current hardware.

Back