Bothersome features

vili

Reaction score
Country
Austria
I have 2 Yi's since this day and like to share my first experiences so far.

Hw: Z23L, Fw: latest official 1.2.13, App latest 2.0

1. My HTC One phone can connect to wifi network, i can see the preview in app, but cannot change settings. Just give an error message: "Failed to update settings". I wanted to install App to my Lenovo tab, but google play says my device isn't supported. I downloaded the installer APK file, and installed without any error. Guess what? Works flawlessly, i can finally change menu items without error. But what about my phone? At field i don't want to take my tab always with me.

2. I enabled AV out, because i like to watch live video on my 16:9 TFT monitor. But the picture is distorted vertically, i can see black bars over/under. Why? I don't found any menu settings for it. Gopro work the same, but it write at least OSD infos (battery, time, etc) to the black bars. Here i cannot read anything. Even a red recording circle isn't visible. So why is the picture not in 16:9 format?

3. I cannot switch off the cam, but with wifi still on, so i could power on remotely with my phone. When i power off, wifi is also off? :(

4. In the app i cannot see preview in full screen, only about 1/3 of the screen. I cannot see the compositions, which is visible at edges, etc. I even cannot rotate to landscape mode.

5. Lack of playback recorded footage through hdmi port.

Ok, i know this is a cheap cam, but those things above are very tiresome for me :(

Looks like i don't have focus problem and the picture is sharp also in the corners! That's a good news!

Last edited:
1. Sounds like a phone issue.
2. Try on a second monitor. Make sure your screen isn't autosizing.
3. Did you try connecting to the wifi once the power was off?
4. You should file a bug and a feature request about those things.
5. No controls on camera to allow for this, not too surprising.

1. Maybe. But this worked with my friend's cam a few months ago (with earlier fw and app of course)
2. My monitor don't do any anutosizing. I can select 4:3 or 16:9 in the monitor menu, but the 4:3 option
gives even more smaller picture. Mobius video out was perfect 16:9.
3. Sorry? As i power off the cam, even wifi network disappear.
4. I cannot believe this is not a "should work like this" thing.
5. Why? Even gopro could do this with just 2 buttons. We have virtual buttons on the video..

1. You've demonstrated the camera is working, so it's something with the app/phone combo.
2. Never had problems like this. always works just fine when I plug 'em into anything.
3. So the wifi goes off when you turn the power off. I'd say that answers your question.
4. lol
5. What?

1. Yes, looks like an app/phone combo problem.
2. Just fine? You don't have black bars at top and bottom with 16:9 videos?
3. Then why do you ask "connecting to the wifi once the power was off"? How? If it is off..
4. By your side it is normal? My phone is relative big, 4.7". But what about people with 3-4" phones? Why cant we see full screen preview?
5. Gopro can playback via hdmi, and use only 2 buttons. It's not magic..

2. No, though your screen and mine are probably not the same, so...who knows.
3. No power == no wifi...no way to power it on via wifi.
4. 5" screen view looks same on a 3.5" screen.
5. maybe you should just sell these cams and buy gopros if they do what you're looking for.

2. What screen do you have? With 16:9 aspect ratio? Mine is so, and Yi output 4:3 signal. Always :(
3. Gopro can switch off, but still wake up on wifi signal. That's the missing point here.
4. What "same view"? The view in this case is even smaller, hard to see details, what's in the picture and what's not.
5. Thanks, but i used gopro1-2-3-3+, and now switched to Yi's. I just answered to your statement: "No controls on camera to allow for this"
Yes, it could be done...

2. What res are you shooting at on the camera?
3. If this feature is important to you, get a gopro or other camera that has it....
4. The view on both devices is the same. Screen size irrelevant. Appears to cover most of the frame.
5. If this feature is important to you, get a gopro or other camera that has it....

2. 1920x1080/60
3. ok :)
4. You don't understand me. The picture size, phisically what you see with your eyes, is smaller on a smaller phone, isn't?
5. i don't like to sell yis, just hope it will support in the near future.

6. what's the development email? :)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Tanckom Yi Action Camera 2
Back