Brand new Viofo A119 v3 but problems with memory cards

midinotes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I received a brand new Viofo A119 v3 today and so was eager to try it out in the house first. I've plugged it in to my Anker USB 5 port charger using a mini USB cable and it powers up fine. I put a previously used micro SD card from my other dashcam into it (a new Toshiba Exceria M302 64GB Micro SD Memory Card 90 MB/s 4K) which worked fine. However I then stopped recording and tried formatting the micro SD card in the Viofo A119 using the menu option. When I exited the menu it started popping up a 'Memory error' message all the time and wouldn't record. I put the card back in my computer and it looked ok, but hadn't formatted. I also tried a Sandisk Ultra 32GB class 10 HC I micro sd card from my other dashcam (Nextbase). When I inserted it the Viofo said it was full up and so asked me to format the card. I did so but then the same problem, Memory error message kept coming up.
I found another 32GB micro SD card I had which I think is a standard Sandisk, no branding on the card. However this one worked fine! It formats and no errors!
So I'm wondering if the A119 v3 is extremely fussy about micro SD cards. If so I am very surprised the brand new Toshiba Exceria card I bought from Amazon is giving errors, same with the Sandisk which has worked fine in my Nextbase camera. I've emailed Viofo for advice but haven't heard back yet.
Has anyone else experienced issues with memory cards with this model, and if so.. what brand and type of card do you recommend?

Many thanks
Simon
UK

Use SDformatter and do an overwrite erase to reset the cards back to factory default settings and then format in the camera before use and see how you go

Reactions: gse
Thanks for the advice Jokiin. I'll give that a go :)

Did a full format with SD Card Formatter on the Toshiba Exceria M302 64GB Micro SD Memory Card 90 MB/s 4. Took ages! Sadly though put it in the Viofo and same memory error kept popping up. Tried to do an in camera format, didn't make any difference :-(

As a Mac OSX user, I found another way to completely erase my SD card. Some other users with Macs encountering similar problems may find this useful, so here is the information on using the command line (terminal) to do a clean erase. After doing this and formatting the card to FAT 32 it worked in the Viofo A119 v3 and started recording. Unfortunately as soon as I tried reformatting it in the camera, I encountered the same problem (Memory error) and so back to square one! Not keen on having to keep wiping the card on my computer using the command line!

:)

Simon

Hi Simon,

As a Mac OSX user, I found another way to completely erase my SD card. Some other users with Macs encountering similar problems may find this useful, so here is the information on using the command line (terminal) to do a clean erase. After doing this and formatting the card to FAT 32 it worked in the Viofo A119 v3 and started recording
That's something that I'll look at later - it's time for bed! ;):sleep:

Firstly, the Viofo A119 v3 whilst being a great dashcam does have a problem with micro SD cards and will only use certain ones. I'm using the following one from Amazon UK with no problems:

Samsung EVO Plus 128 GB microSDXC UHS-I U3 Memory Card with Adapter currently £19.45 and if you have Amazon Prime and order it within the next 40 minutes you could get it tomorrow.

I'm running a Macbook Pro and SDFormatter although an old version which I think is 4.x, not 5.x. Every time that I take out the micro SD card I format, I fully format it with SDFormatter. However, the Viofo A119 v3 reports that there's a format error when I replace the micro SD card. Getting the A119 to format the card works. I'm guessing that Mac SDFormatter 4.x doesn't format to FAT32.

Perhaps somebody more knowledgable about Macs, SD cards, and SDFormatter could confirm?

Regards,

Thanks Robert for the card suggestion, ordered at that price! Should arrive tomorrow so fingers crossed it will be fine. If not then it could be a hardware problem with my camera.

Simon

SDformatter won't format cards larger than 32gb fat32, its main use is to return cards to default parameters

That's the same card I've been running in 4 dashcams now and it's still going strong.

Nextbase 412
Nextbase 380
Viofo A119 V2
Viofo A119 V3

I suppose I should get a spare in stock, just in case .....

I suppose I should get a spare in stock, just in case .....

With multiple cameras I've been keeping a stash of spare memory cards in my vehicle for years. That practice has come in pretty handy now and again for a variety of reasons. I would recommend that everyone who has a dash cam installed carry at least one spare card with them at all times. It's a good common sense, low cost practice that insures that you won't get stranded without a working camera if your primary memory card should fail, gets lost or you need to preserve and secure some footage.

Thanks Robert for the card suggestion, ordered at that price! Should arrive tomorrow so fingers crossed it will be fine. If not then it could be a hardware problem with my camera.
You're welcome, Simon. Hopefully, it was the old card that was a problem and that your A119 V3 will work well with the new card. Let us know.

SDformatter won't format cards larger than 32gb fat32, its main use is to return cards to default parameters
Thanks for that information. So, is it best to fully format the card (using SDformatter) to delete all files and to fix any errors that the card may have developed, and then get the A119 V3 to do a quick format of the card so that the A119 V3 can use the card?

Is there any other way of formatting a card to FAT32 when using Mac OSX without having to resort to using the command line (terminal)?

Regards,

Is there any other way of formatting a card to FAT32 when using Mac OSX without having to resort to using the command line (terminal)?

Regards,
Of course, use native Disk Utility on Mac.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-12-28 at 15.01.46.png
    Screenshot 2019-12-28 at 15.01.46.png
    506.5 KB · Views: 15
Of course, use native Disk Utility on Mac.
Thanks for that advice as I'm still learning Mac!

Is it best to just use native Disk Utility on Mac, or fully format with SDFormatter first, and then use native Disk Utility on Mac to format to FAT32?

With multiple cameras I've been keeping a stash of spare memory cards in my vehicle for years. That practice has come in pretty handy now and again for a variety of reasons. I would recommend that everyone who has a dash cam installed carry at least one spare card with them at all times.

This is extremely good advice!

Also, once you have found that a card or dashcam has failed, don't use that card in another dashcam until you have analysed, copied everything that you needed, and fully formatted the card. Even then treat the card as potentially trash.

I like to keep all dashcam footage, especially when on holiday (vacation). A few years ago we flew to Jersey (Channel Islands) I took two RoadHawk HD2 dashcams. The hire car was a convertible Mini Cooper and so I couldn't fix the rear dashcam. I changed the card every day so that it was easier to catalogue the driving. At some point, the dashcam failed so I swapped it for the spare and used the same card (as I wanted continuity in card numbering) unfortunately it was a failed card which proceeded to kill my spare dashcam as well. Any easy problem to have been avoided if I'd just used the next card!

I keep a spreadsheet of all of my cards to record every time I have formatted them and colour them red if they have ever failed in a dashcam.

Thanks for that advice as I'm still learning Mac!

Is it best to just use native Disk Utility on Mac, or fully format with SDFormatter first, and then use native Disk Utility on Mac to format to FAT32?
I use Disk Utility without any issue. I have 2x64 GB and 2x128 GB Sandisk A1
But after first format I prefer to let camera doing it monthly.

Got a good price of US $31.88 for Samsung Pro Endurance 128GB card.

Attachments

• 20-147-697-V01.jpg
    20-147-697-V01.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 7
As much as I would like a Sammy endurance card that U1 rating is putting me off with the slower read/write speeds.

I know I'll get told they are fine but my current Sammy EVO U3 has been faultless and there have been reports of some U1 cards causing issues.

When I know where I'm going to be I'll order another U3, or 2, from Scan UK. I need to be in because they deliver a tiny memory card via courier in a shoebox which is all packing.

As much as I would like a Sammy endurance card that U1 rating is putting me off with the slower read/write speeds.

I know I'll get told they are fine but my current Sammy EVO U3 has been faultless and there have been reports of some U1 cards causing issues.

When I know where I'm going to be I'll order another U3, or 2, from Scan UK. I need to be in because they deliver a tiny memory card via courier in a shoebox which is all packing.

PRO Endurance actually better with large-block random transfers which make it better for dashcams. It may not need to be format regularly because large-block random transfer rate is so high.
Most Importantly, it's MLC so it has many more write cycles vs evo plus which make it cheaper as of write cycles per price.

"The EVO Plus measured 84MB/s write sequential, but fell to 1.15MB/s with large-block random transfers.
The PRO Endurance though measured 34MB/s sequential and only dropped to 21.1MB/s with large-block random transfers"

Last edited:
I'm just curious and still learning .....

Is 34MB/s max fast enough?

All the Viofo branded cards are U3.

I'm a novice and 'large block random transfers' means nothing to me, and when does that occur in our A119V3 cams? My current Evo obviously hasn't suffered as it's been 100% reliable so I'm still looking to get the same faster U3 card.

1 Byte = 8 bits
U1 = minimum 10MB/s = 80mbps

Which means U1 is good enough for almost all dashcams in the market right now except some 4k dashcams.

Viofo a119v3 has average 30 Mbps at high settings and 50 Mbps with a custom patch so U1 is enough.

After more research Samsung pro endurance may not be MLC but TLC with V-NAND magic, it's good for the price anyway.

Back