bricked thieye t5 edge

kleio

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Tried to upgrade firmware upon arrival of item and bricked it.
The power button no longer works whatsoever. It won't turn on. Anyone knows a way to recover it?

Hi,

Did you manage to fix issue?
I have the same problem. In my case the red light is on all the time, until the battery drains.

I did manage to fix this issue. You'll have to do a desktop update. Remove the SD card and battery. Hold the 'shutter' button and connect the camera to the computer via USB. Wait a couple of seconds before simultaneously holding the power button as well. You should hear a beep, even if your camera doesn't show up as a device on your computer. Afterwards execute the FRM application.

Just had the same experience. I test and review cameras and have updated dozens. But ThiEYE t5e I haven't updated for fear of bricking, but took a chance with the Edge. Followed the install in camera option. The instructions say if it displays FW ISP 'for a long time' (What is a long time? ) It did display FW ISP. Left it ten minutes. Dead camera like Kleio. Fortunately (sweating a bit) I installed the icatch programme OK. (I'm on Windows 10 and it doesn't always play ball.) Followed instructions AND WOWEE, it installed. Camera is alive again. 1080 was rubbish on the Edge. (I reviewed it.) Let's hope it's better now.

edit : just tested. Still not great at 1080. 4K looks good. I have tested a few budget native 4K cameras lately with good 4K but rubbish 1080. I'd rather have good useable 1080 60 personally. Why the mad rush to compete in the 4K market?

I'm very computer literate but the average Joe in't going to like messing around like this.

ThiEYE make pretty good cameras, but I wish they'd get their firmware dept working properly. Never have these issues with the likes of SJCam etc.

Last edited:
Kielo's method does not work for me. What I do:
- press and hold shutter/wifi button
- connect camera to pc
- press and hold power ( still holding shutter button)
- pc makes a sound of new usb device
- I let go the buttons
- drivers start installing, camera driver does not install
- when I launch FRM it can't see the camera

Device manager sees the camera but with a yellow triangle and can't install driver.
What am I doing wrong? Do I hold buttons too short?
Windows 7 system fresh install.

Back