buzzing sound? see vid

bimmernate

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all,
Just got my dash cam yesterday. I noticed this buzzing sound that happens about every 2 seconds. See the video below. Is this normal? Thinking about exchanging it...

Is it running from internal battery or powered by a 12v-5v power supply?

I have a cheap power supply that causes similar sounding interference.

In the video, it is being powered by the car with a 12v to 5v converter with a mini usb out to the camera. I noticed that when I film without the power cable and on the battery instead, the sound is still there but much more quiet.

It could be the buttons vibrating especially during hard acceleration or with a stiff suspension. If you shake the camera you can hear them; normally you don't. It could also be a loose battery or not tightening the mount. All of those are easily fixed once you isolate the cause and none require you to return the camera.

okay, just updating this thread, I found out the problem. I switched the micro sd card with one of my old 8 year old 2gb ones that I had from an old smart phone and the sound completely went away (both wired to the car and on the battery). I assume that maybe its because I'm using a class 10 32gb sandisk instead of the recommended class 4. Can someone recommend a good memory card, one that they are using that is proven? Thanks

*EDIT* going to purchase a Kingston Class 4 32gb

Last edited:
okay, just updating this thread, I found out the problem. I switched the micro sd card with one of my old 8 year old 2gb ones that I had from an old smart phone and the sound completely went away (both wired to the car and on the battery). I assume that maybe its because I'm using a class 10 32gb sandisk instead of the recommended class 4. Can someone recommend a good memory card, one that they are using that is proven? Thanks

This is a (very) common problem, although I guess I need to revise the manual. It appears that the problem can occur with any cards, not just low quality and no-name brands. From the manual:
►You should always use cards from well known brands. Low quality and no-name cards, as well as some class 2 (or less) cards, may draw more than 20mA current than quality cards. This can result in unwanted electrical noise such as clicks, chirps, hum and buzzing in the audio recording.

Interesting.

Kingston Class 4 32gb ...

Same problem here:
cJixpmC.jpg

I think the problem is the DC converter from 12v to 5v. The converter I use for the front mobius is a cheap one, something like THIS .... and that buzzing sound is hearable so loud only if the engine is turned on.

well, I received the kingston 32gb in the mail today from amazon and tried it out. ZERO buzzing sounds. It completely went away. Problem solved

Same problem here:
cJixpmC.jpg

I think the problem is the DC converter from 12v to 5v. The converter I use for the front mobius is a cheap one, something like THIS .... and that buzzing sound is hearable so loud only if the engine is turned on.

I would try a class 4 card before switching the dc converter, those are both class 10s.

What firmware and settings are you using? The video is very nice and crisp, I would really like to know.

Firmware v0.53, Lens Type on "B" ( lens B) , FOV on wide (pixel binning), WDR on, Video Data Rate on high , and ALF=60Hz . All other settings are on default or not available for adjustment.

Back