Cabin IR Cameras

TonyM

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
A139, M1S
A growing number of dashcams have an interior camera to record activity inside the car. These often have IR emitters to enable them to record in low light.

Are there any health concerns for the occupants exposed to these IR emitters over long periods of time?

Are there any regulations limiting the power output from these IR lamps, and do dashcam manufacturers abide by them?

Looking directly at IR lamps is never a good idea since your eyes do not react to the bright light so don't protect themselves by closing the iris. The high power security IR lamps can be a real hazard if you get too close, normally they are put well out of reach. There are no other health issues, the IR light is only just not visible, no real difference in effect to red light, it is not the same as the IR from an infrared heater.

I've not seen any regulations that seem appropriate, so I suspect there is no regulation for dashcams, even though I think there should be for what is an invisible hazard, in the same way that lasers are regulated. I think the current intensity is regulated by the availability of cheap IR emitters, the cheap ones are safe, and the unsafe ones are too expensive for dashcams.

The amount of IR needed by dashcam using current image sensors to see reasonably well is not an amount to worry about unless it comes from a single IR emitter, if you come across a camera that produces a very sharp interior image in complete darkness then it might be worth asking questions. Note that on the Viofo A139 they are using 6 IR emitters rather than the normal 4, so can get improved quality from increased brightness without using brighter individual emitters.

Still, never stare at any IR light source, it is probably safe, but you can't see if it is safe. Most visible LED torches come with a warning not to look directly at the lamp, IR dashcams probably should too.

Looking directly at IR lamps is never a good idea since your eyes do not react to the bright light so don't protect themselves by closing the iris.
never stare at any IR light source, it is probably safe, but you can't see if it is safe.
That was my primary concern, that IR light is invisible but has the potential to be harmful if the intensity is excessive.

I have my interior camera mounted close to the rear view mirror, so it is rather close and pointing directly at my face.

I have my interior camera mounted close to the rear view mirror, so it is rather close and pointing directly at my face.
Hard to say they are definitely safe, but the power available over USB is definitely not sufficient to cause damage unless you focus your eyes on the emitters for a long time. I wouldn’t worry about USB powered cameras.

Don’t know if this guy has thought of every factor, but he does put some scale on the issue:

Also note that the decent cameras are using very wide angle LEDs, so you would need to be very close.

I have some 15 W IR emitters, those + being able to focus them into a tight beam, i would NOT look into.
But otherwise i am not worried about IR lights i have.

Back